Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
capacity discrepancy
PeteS [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Maryland, USA Joined: Oct 18, 2011 14:17 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
I recorded an hour program on my DVR. I copied into PD10 and edited the program down to 37 minutes. When I
produced, the MPG2 file was over 5 GB and will not fit on a DVD. How did it get so large and what can I do? Thanks
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Did you try it, or are you going by PD's estimate? PD is notoriously extravagant in this regard.

Try "burning" to a folder and see how big the results are. Jerry Schwartz
PeteS [Avatar]
[Post New]
I did try it and PD said the project did not record. Chances are it reads its own calculation and thinks there is not enough space. Windows Express indicates the file is only 1.7GB and using Nero I was able to transfer it to DVD successfully. Notorious is right. Wonder why tell don't fix the bug. I was able to play the result on another computer but not on a DVD player. Don't DVD players recognize mpg2? Happy Holidays
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: When I produced, the MPG2 file was over 5 GB and will not fit on a DVD

You probably need to supply a little more detail on what MPEG2 profile you used for your produced file. For 37 minutes, the following will be estimates of file size for PD default rendering,
MPEG2, DVD HQ profile, ~2.0GB
MPEG2, HDV profile, ~5.0GB
MPEG2, BD profile, ~6.5GB

Quote: Don't DVD players recognize mpg2?

Many standalone basic DVD players don't regonize a raw MPEG2 file copied to a DVD. It really depends on the model and vintage of the player. That's one of the basic reasons you "author" the project in the Create Disc area as it writes a standard DVD folder structure that virtually any DVD player ever manufactured will play.

Jeff
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I did try it and PD said the project did not record. Chances are it reads its own calculation and thinks there is not enough space. Windows Express indicates the file is only 1.7GB and using Nero I was able to transfer it to DVD successfully. Notorious is right. Wonder why tell don't fix the bug. I was able to play the result on another computer but not on a DVD player. Don't DVD players recognize mpg2? Happy Holidays

Try burning the folder again, except this time in Disk preferences, DVD drop down, choose 8.5.

That should allow PD to create the folder. After the folder is successful, check the size of it. You might be pleasantly surprised.

PeteS [Avatar]
[Post New]
found settings were too high. as soon as I brought them down the size of the file dropped dramatically. Didn't need a folder. Couldn't figure out how to do that to begin with. Turns out in PD10 you have to select burn first then you have the option disc or folder. Also your terminology may be more appropriate with another version. The sequence in 10 is Create Disc, select 2D disc. Under Disk Format, four formats are presented. Capacity options are presented when your select one. Then select your video and audio settings in part 2. Then select Burn to further select the drive and final options (disc or folder)
Burl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 03, 2012 18:45 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have a simular problem with large file size. A produced file burned on windows 7 dvd maker resulted in a file not much larger than the produced file. Using pd 10 the burned size was twice as large. Using a 8.5g disc then examing the burned files. Almose every file was duplicated therefore final size, twice as large. WHY ??? I kept everything I could find in 2D. I could use some help.