Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video hanging but audio working
Mark7777 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 13, 2008 11:53 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Need some help here. This is my 4th year working with PD. Previously used PD7 to create DVD's with a menu. Now have upgraded to PD10 using a Win7 box with 4Gb memory.

I have created my project using a mixture of .MOD (JVC Everio), .AVI (Fujitsu camera), .MOV (iphone 4) files. The project is about an hour long. I have had to rotate some of the .MOD and .AVI files. When I generate the file (got tired of burning thru disks) and play it back, my frustration level just escalates as some files just hang of the video while the audio continues like normal. It seems to be quite random as different generates yields different clips hanging. I have gone thru all clips and set the TV Format to Interlacing so that they are all the same. They were a mixure of Interlacing and Progressive before.

I have tried with both Shadow files on and off....no luck. I have turned on the Show SVRT track and it has a mixture of some videos needed rendering and some not. I have used PD10's default suggestion.

I have even completed rebuilt my project (quite time consuming) to build it in a chronological matter...doesn't seem to make much difference.

I have searched thru the Forums here but can't seem to find what I am looking for...hence the new post.

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated as I am just stumped as to what to try next.
[Post New]
Mark7777;

Quote: my frustration level just escalates as some files just hang of the video while the audio continues

I understand your frustration and I am going to ask for your help to resolve your issue by simply providing us some information. I am also going to explain WHY I am asking for these items, for you, and for OTHERS who may come to the forum seeking help or advice:

1. Is this a registered version or TRAIL?

WHY AM I ASKING FOR THIS? - The trial version has limitations and does not support all the functions that you want to perform.

2. Please go to the following link and provide the items requested in PART A and PART B. then come back here and attach the files and information to this post.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

WHY AM I ASKING FOR THIS? - The information requested will allow us to establish a baseline for your machine, assisting us in analyzing the problem. There is information in those items that helps us GREATLY in determining what may cause your problem. Without (at least) those two items, anyone who tries to help you must GUESS at a solution. You do NOT want guesses, you want a solution.

Once we look at your system specs, we can determine if the focus should be on your files or some other cause. We may ask later for images, file information, etc., but for now one and two, please.

Please, help us to help you...post the requested information and you will find MANY Senior Editors here ready to help you. Without this, your guess is as good as mine!!!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 20. 2011 14:38

Mark7777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply. Here is the info you requested:

1. Is this a registered version or TRAIL?

It is a registered version purchased and downloaded about 2 weeks ago.

2. PART A - PD version build:

PowerDirector Deluxe 10.0.0.1129a

PART B - DxDiag Info:

See Attached.

Again, thanks. Any info you can provide is greatly appreciated.
 Filename
Mark7777_DxDiag.zip
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag Info
 Filesize
7 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
309 time(s)
[Post New]
Mark7777;
Thanks for the information. Your machine will experience these pauses and slowdowns and WILL struggle with Powerdirector for a couple of reasons. This is what I suggest:

1. Free up space on your C: drive. Greater than 100GB is desired. This will provide needed temporary processing space for PD10.

2. Your on-board graphics are woefully inadequate for PD10. You do have an available PCI Express-x16 slot to add a proper video card, but with only a 305W powersupply, you have to be careful WHICH card you add.

3.Some relief may be available by applying updated video drivers (directly from AMD) as yours are over two years old. See if the link below works for you. It contains video, as well as audio component updates.
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_xp.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.13&lang=English

3. In general, your machine does not meet the needs of PD10. Even the main CPU is below specs, but many 32BIT users are using this level of CPU.It may be time for a new machine for video editing.

You may be successful in USING PD10 once the video drivers are updated, or with a new card, but there will always be issues with managing large or complex projects.

Hope this information helps.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 20. 2011 16:34

Mark7777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the info. I'll see if these suggestions provide any relief and will post if they do. If not, then yes, might be time to get a new box.
MarcinB [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Poland Joined: Jun 15, 2011 14:23 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Mark!
Although I still use PD9, I can see that the problem is still in PD10. My machine is still a bit underpowered, but good enough to work with DVD quality. The freezing occurs at random, but I've noticed that it happens less often when you save you work, restart PD and go right into produce screen. The issue looks random and until now I could not determine what is the cause.One more thing- after I produce I check the file- if freeze happened, I produce once again into another file and compare file sizes- if newly produced file is bigger than firs one, I check it. If not- I produce again.
Hope the issue will go away after I upgrade my machine.
Cheers
Marcin
Blake314 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 26, 2011 00:18 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have been having exactly the same issue. I have a couple of projects (one about 30 minutes, the other about 15 minutes), made up of a variety of clips (.MOD and .mp4). Every time I produce them, for some of the clips the video freezes on the first frame (or even, occasionally, in the middle of a clip), while the audio continues as normal. Generally, at the next clip things start moving again. The problem occurs with different clips each time, and has occurred no matter which format I try to produce to (I've tried AVI, MPEG 2, MPEG 4, MOV, WMV). Since I discovered the problem 1 day before I was hoping to give the resulting movies (of my kids) to my parents as a Xmas gift, it was more than a little frustrating. I did this last year using Power Director 5 (which came with my camera), and it was slow but worked. This year I decided to splurge and upgrade, and I'm beginning to regret it.

I am running Windows 7 with 4 GB of RAM. I am running a registered version of Cyberlink Power Director 10, Build 10.0.0.1012. I am attaching the DxDiag file. Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated - I've spent a lot of time on this project, and I want to be able to share it.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
41 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
261 time(s)
Mark7777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
After freeing up disk space to be over 100Gb (130Gb free to be exact) and updating the video drivers, not much changed as far as getting a clean image with no video hang. I did have a little more success (in relevant terms, that is) in choosing a different SVRT option (one that forces everything to be rendered). But that just reduced the number of clips that froze to 3. Not sure if that was just pure luck that only 3 froze this time or if it has any meaning. I have now spent about 10x the amount of time I should have on this. Other than the suggested option of getting a new machine, I have run out of options to try that I know of with my existing machine.

Just a suggestion to the Cyberlink folks from a Director of QA at a software company...I would rather have PD error stating that not enough resources are available or that it couldn't create a 100% successfully clean image than to create an image where video is hanging with no warning/error of any kind to let the user know. Again, just my opinion...others may have differing opinions.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I suggest that your break up your project into smaller pieces.

I have had to rotate some of the .MOD and .AVI files

These files should be produced separately.

Once you have them produced, you can bring the produced versions back to the timeline in your main project.
Maybe you can finish the production after you have taken some of the load off of your machine.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Mark7777 [Avatar]
[Post New]
So the rotate option within PD is not reliable for video? These rotated files aren't necessarily the ones that hang when produced. Is the rotate option mainly for still pics then?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Mark,
On the forum we see many editors struggling to do tasks that exceed the performance of their video editing computer platforms. The suggestions given by Fred are sound and I'm sure you've taken note of them. A computers weak points are found when stressed and video editing is "on the edge" for a PC.

You have mixed video format source material and are carrying out an edit on these in a project. I believe Carl is directing you to separate your individual formats and tasks so you
1. produce your project into one format and
2. then finally bringing all the smaller chunks of your project back into PD to be merged together.

The problem with editing various source material has been known for some time to cause problems for editors.

There is an assumption that video produced to 29.97 fps does that from all cameras - that isn't the case. There is a slight variation between makes and an editor should be wary when mix matching source material. Get your video to be the same base and then build your project.

Just my opinion.

Dafydd