Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is my video corrupted?
[Post New]
I have version 8 and I went to finish off my video and I got a message saying 'an error occurred while trying to open this media file' so I clicked on ignore all and now I have nothing but blank spaces and weird symbols. does that mean I will have to upload my video again? I spent ages editing it, and now its all gone. How do I fix this please? All women can do great things.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Louise -

The video isn't corrupted. PD just couldn't find it!

You clicked on "Ignore", so PD said "OK - she doesn't need it." If that occurs, you should click "Browse", then navigate to where the video is stored on your PC (i.e. show PD where it is).

This message will pop up if:
1. the media (clip, image etc) has been moved
2. the media (clip, image etc) has been renamed
3. the media (clip, image etc) isn't connected to the PC any more (e.g. camera or external drive)

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Allmoto
Newbie Location: Washington, USA Joined: Dec 27, 2010 13:23 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]
I have a video that I have spent over 100 hours editing. When I now try to load the pds file the files seem to load then upon updating the time line, the software aborts after reaching about 86% time line update.

Is there any way to determine if the file is corrupt and/or a way to recover? I am devastated at the loss of hours if I cannot recover this file.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have a video that I have spent over 100 hours editing. When I now try to load the pds file the files seem to load then upon updating the time line, the software aborts after reaching about 86% time line update.

Is there any way to determine if the file is corrupt and/or a way to recover? I am devastated at the loss of hours if I cannot recover this file.

Did you look for the Auto saved PDS files?

Look in preferences for the auto save location. Remember to scroll to the end of the text box, as the default folder name is too long to fit in the text box.

You may have to adjust your Windows Explorer folder options to show the hidden folders and files.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Allmoto
Newbie Location: Washington, USA Joined: Dec 27, 2010 13:23 Messages: 36 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you for the suggestion> I did find several back up files and have tried to load the first three latest copies. I have not been successful in that the backup PDS file will load, but all of my tracks are blank. I can however, play the video just fine. If I click on the top bar of the application, I see the Win7 "Wait Donut." That seems to suggest that something is still amiss.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thank you for the suggestion> I did find several back up files and have tried to load the first three latest copies. I have not been successful in that the backup PDS file will load, but all of my tracks are blank. I can however, play the video just fine. If I click on the top bar of the application, I see the Win7 "Wait Donut." That seems to suggest that something is still amiss.

Did you get window that asked to Browse or Cancel? Click Browse and locate the missing videos.

If you have black placeholders where the video should be, that just means that you need to browse to the real location of the videos. If they are on an external source, you must make that source available.

If they are on the hard drive but have been moved, same thing, browse to where the video are located.

Once the videos are found, save a Project file, then all the video locations will be updated in the project.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Allmoto
[Post New]
Truly there has been a "Miracle on 42nd Street!" Merry Christmas to everyone!

Thanks to a mostly complete "auto-saved" file, I have recovered most of my edits. Although not certain what caused the failure to open in the first place, I have at least put off a trip to the looney bin for the pre-empted loss of many hours of hard work!

Thanks for the help!
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Truly there has been a "Miracle on 42nd Street!" Merry Christmas to everyone!

Thanks to a mostly complete "auto-saved" file, I have recovered most of my edits. Although not certain what caused the failure to open in the first place, I have at least put off a trip to the looney bin for the pre-empted loss of many hours of hard work!

Thanks for the help!

It is a good practice to save multiple pds files, I use a system of adding a incrementing number to the file name.
Every time I make a change I save a new PDS with the next number.

That way I can always step back in time or edits.
When the video is done, you have the last save as your permanent project file.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 25. 2011 10:37