Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Time stamp/Stopwatch Overlay
[Post New]
Hi all...I hope I'm not out of line in posting this technique for adding a stopwatch overlay on some video. I thought I would share to see if it helps others or to spark some discussion so that I or others may learn. Anyway, I hope this sort of post is okay; if not I apologize.

I've been digging around a bit trying to find out if PD can imprint a stopwatch or clock on a video. Now I don't want to just put it on as I film. I wanted to use fonts and colors of my choosing as well as be able to sync the clock to the event. For example, think about a sports sequence...say running the 100M dash. I want to put a clock that begins at 00:00 when the gun sounds and have it stop at the finish line. I wanted total control of the clock but exact precision isn't required. That is to say that if I am off by a hundredth of a second, the sun will still rise. I use it for kids sports - not a Swiss Clock for the Olympics. My original hope is that there was and easy plug in or setting in PD, but I didn't find one. (of course, it doesn't mean it isn't there. It just means this noob hasn't found it. If there is an easier way, I'd love to learn it and the below journey was a great exercise for learning PD.)

I started with a one minute stop watch in the format of XY.Z where X is the tens, Y is the ones and Z is the tenths. Once the Gun fired I would see "00.0" then "00.1" then "00.2" and so on until I got to the end of "59.9" seconds. I can add more columns to add minutes using the same technique to get "1:03.5" for 1 minute: 03.5 seconds". My current project will top out in the 3 minute range. I chose an LED style font and made it bright red.

I set up three video tracks. The first track will be the tens, the second column the ones and the third track the decimal point and tenths.

In the Third track (decimal and tenths), I placed a blank title and set the duration for 1s. I added text of ".0" in the font and color of my choosing. I put it in the upper right corner where I wanted it. Since I am at 30fps, I increment the tenths every 3 frames. In frame zero, one, and two the text in the frame reads ".0". In frame three I change it to ".1" and in frame six I change it to ".2" and so on till I have ".9" in the last frame. You have to really spread out the timeline to make working at this minute level easier. Once I had this tenths of a second sequence, I can copy it over and over again as needed.

In track two, I added the one's column. I set the duration for one second and added a text box and typed "0". Once I the text lined up with ".0" from the third track, I just cut and paste 9 times. In each 1 second segment, I updated the number. Don't forget to paste the "tenths" in track three to match. The two tracks composted together got me "0.0" through "9.9".

Wash rinse and repeat to add the tens columns on track one. Extrapolate out for the minutes column if you want. I produced the video which I can then pull into other projects and hit with Chroma Key and I have my stopwatch. Perhaps this is a bit tedious and I am sure there is a more elegant way to pull this off and my solution is probably a bit like hitting a nail with a jack hammer, but it got the results I wanted and I can always go back to the source project and put in different fonts, colors, etc, etc. (oh my, how was that for a run on?) I may even do a countdown in this manner. One quirk with the font I chose was I had to lead all 1's with a space to prevent the clock from squeezing in and out like an accordion. I wanted a stable width like on a scoreboard.

Again, I hope this is useful to someone and I hope I am not out of line sharing.

Filename
one_minute_stopwatch.mpg
[Disk]
 Description
One minute stop watch
 Filesize
5920 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2164 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 15. 2011 11:59

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Would it help of I gave you a link to a site Jeff (JL_JL) provided to editors some years ago?

Timecode Displays for Video ***NEWS ITEM - 9th November 2008***
The video clips are frame-accurate video timecode displays which can be downloaded and used with your video project to provide a timecode reference. The timecode clips are 160x40 pixels and can be placed anywhere in your video frame.

https://www.mediacollege.com/downloads/video/timecode/

Dafydd
[Post New]
thanks - resources are always good to have.

I did a quick glance and that seems similar to what I did; a quick answer to my original problem. I admit that I like having the source because I can change the font and color and location. Good stuff though.

Again, hope I wasn't out of line posting the above. Most of what seems to be here is "how to" Q&A but I think the intent includes sharing successes with other PD users.
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Good job on your timer.... did you use the grid to align them up?

You can find several timer videos if you look hard enough. I have about 2 dozen of various lengths, sizes, and formats. Also I got a couple from the web site Jeff provided way back when.... was that really "years" ago????? Dang I'm getting old....

I have only had a need to use one so far after all these years.... but it worked out well...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 15. 2011 22:10

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/4429.page#16994

Just 3 yrs. Too bad searches don't work in combined forums, so much good info so many users contributed in so many old posts, thanks CL for combining all the older PD forums to make things easier while keeping the important ones like MagicSports and MagicDirector!

Jeff
[Post New]
@Bubba - I did not use grid to line them up but probably should have. Since it was a quick and dirty for a sports video for Coaches to review youth performance, I wasn't being too nit picky on that. My turn around time was pretty tight and it was purely volunteer work (my kid is on the team). So, I went with the eyeball method. However, I do need to go back and check that for future video drop ins.

@JL - I did do a search on this forum but came up wiht nothing. Thanks for the link.
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
You can go into the PD 7,8,9 forums and do searches, 7 and 8 have a LOT of good stuff and everything in those will work in PD10. PD9 and 10 does not have that much more "stuff" when it comes to editing goodies than all the previous versions.... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: You can go into the PD 7,8,9 forums and do searches, 7 and 8 have a LOT of good stuff and everything in those will work in PD10. PD9 and 10 does not have that much more "stuff" when it comes to editing goodies than all the previous versions.

You missed my point, the search engines in any forum that was combined like (Powerdirector (8 and earlier)) is broken, i.e, you won't find anything, try it, you will see, search will return no hits of anything. Try your search on Bubba and see what you get.

Jeff