Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Camcorder Advice Please
SeptimusFry
Senior Member Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
[Post New]
I am considering buying an HD camcorder and looking at Canon offerings (just a historic preference, not a question of careful assessment) I can see a nice model HF-M41 which comes in at about £500-550.

One thing I would like to do is record stuff at higher frame rates and then replay at lower frame rate so as to watch in 'slow motion', only a factor of about 4:1, but this camera will definitely not do that.

I had a feeling that PD offers some editing mode which is effectively interpolating the missing frames and making an interpolated slow motion - or is this just wishful thinking on my part? If not, is there any 3rd party software which will do some stretching like this?

Otherwise, if you know of a camcorder which is likely to be able to do this natively, no more than about £1000, I would appreciate any suggestions.

[edit @ 12:10GMT] Ok, I have found the trick in PD and given it a quick whirl. It looks good but a bit jerky in places. I would be interested in others' comments on choice of camcorder though. For example, I realise that shooting at 60 and editing at 24 will give me true slow mo of nearly a factor of 2. Can PD handle this technique?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 14. 2011 07:11

i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Denbigh,
End user camera comments often leads to a "mine is really good" reports which is ok but a little difficult to use.

I have found this site: http://www.camcorderinfo.co.uk/ to be pretty good at comparisons. The details of a camera I have were not given correctly. In saying that it did give some good comments and came out high in comparison testing.

I hope it helps.

If your camera has "touch screen" controls, poor you ha ha, ummm, not my favourite addition to the latest cameras. No-one needs lessons in "How to smudge an LCD screen!" ha ha. Carry a good quality glass cleaning cloth in your case, is my "Tip of the day".

Slow Motion, I used it on a 1 second clip and stretched it to 5 seconds.
1920x1080 Progressive, 60fps. I was really pleased with the results.
Scene: An Atlantic Salmon leaping a waterfall - the event happened in a second. Slowing the event to display over a 5 second period ... brilliant as far as I was concerned and the viewer had chance to see the salmon leaping.

I have not done the test you've asked about.

Dafydd

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 16. 2011 13:58