Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Powerdirecto 10 will not run on Windows 7 64-bit workstation
archaeoguy16 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 11, 2011 13:04 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

I have been reviewing the forums and internet extensively for a solution to my problem, but to no avail. I am running Windows 7 64-bit with an Intel I7 970 processor, 24 GB Crucial RAM, an Nvidia Quadro 5000, and many GBs free disk space. As far as I can tell, Powerdirector 10 should run on my machine no problem.

The issue started with PD8. I hadn't used the program since upgrading my machine (I transferred the HD using Acronis), but I tried it a few days ago and it wouldn't work. So far, it is the only program that did not work after the transfer. I read about similar PD8 run problems and decided the best way to go was to do a clean uninstall and then buy an upgrade to PD10. That all went fine. However, upon install PD10 I still have the same problems! I did everything I could to ensure a fresh install. I used CCleaner to clean up the registry and then I even did a search for Cyberlink and removed any other reg entries. I also cleaned up any remaingin user files from Cyberlink, etc. It was gone from my system. No luck.

At first, the events viewer showed that RichVideo (but not the 64-bit version) was the culprit. I did a reinstall and that problem was resolved. But, the program still would not open. I have tried to run as administrator, I have changed the compatibility setting. Nothing has worked. I'm so frustrated.

I'm not sure what other information would be useful, but please let me know. I have contacted Cyberlink Tech Support, but they have not replied yet. I really need to get this problem resolved ASAP and I hope someone can recommend a fix. Thanks, Erich
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
(I transferred the HD using Acronis), but I tried it a few days ago and it wouldn't work.

Looks that you transferred all of your problems to the new computer. That is what Acronis does. Acronis is great if you start with a good clean working computer.

You are best off if you start over from scratch and install a fresh clean Windows 7 64 Bit OS. Not from a previous Acronis backup.

Then install each of your programs from the original installation media.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

archaeoguy16 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Carl, but what you recommend isn't possible. I can't do a fresh install because of the damage to my workflow and inability to re-install key software. This is a work machine so it would be more trouble than it is worth. Besides, it's been several months since I did the transfer and the 100+ programs I use, which ranging from Adobe suite to CAD, mapping, and other older and newer software all work fine. This is the only program that doesn't work. Plus, once I removed Cyberlink software from my system (including deleting all of its registry values) then the reinstall should be absolutely fresh.

Has no one else experienced a similar issue? I appreciate the help, but I need a solution that does not require a complete overhaul to my machine.

Best,

Erich
archaeoguy16 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Oh, and one more thing, the troubles didn't transfer to my computer. Cyberlink software (v worked great on the old machine. Plus, I am running the latest drivers for all my components. Just forgot to mention that in my last post...

Erich
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Erich,

Please provide a diagnostic file(s)
Part B
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

What's "special" about your set up which is preventing the start up of a program? that's the question you need to ask. basically, what's messed up or preventing the opening of a program?

You need "fresh" eyes to look at your set up.

Where have you installed PD to?

Please provide screenshots of anything and everything. Part e&F guides. A forum member may look up and then assist you further.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 12. 2011 10:05

archaeoguy16 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Dafydd and Carl. I have uploaded the diagnostics file in the hope that someone can find the root cause of this issue so that someone else doesn't have this headache. In the meantime, I am under some pretty strict deadlines so I have had to abandon my Cyberlink software and problem-solving for a competitor's software, despite using Cyberlink for several years now without issue. The Cyberlink tech support didn't suggest anything useful to resolve the issue either, which is unfortunate. Thanks again to you both for responding so quickly, I appreciate it. I'm happy to continue working on this matter but for now I have to keep on truckin'

Best,

erich
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
63 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
633 time(s)
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Just a thought: I remember that I had to install the very latest (at that time) version of QuickTime to get PD to run. Jerry Schwartz
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Erich,
RE my question: Where have you installed PD to? Which HDD drive?

What codec packs have you installed onto your PC?
Codec pack issue - some are known to cause real hassle.

You may have a simple software conflict here where the dominant driver isn't being over written. Looking at your DirectShow Filter - wow.

Two diagnostics are required 32bit and 64bit. Please supply.

There is NOT one named "CyberLink" DirectShow driver insitu in the diagnostic you have presented to the forum. How come? Can another editor check this as well please in case I've missed something?

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 12. 2011 12:25

kingsmeadow
Senior Member Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Dec 06, 2011 11:52 Messages: 179 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Erich,

Two diagnostics are required 32bit and 64bit. Please supply.

There is NOT one named "CyberLink" DirectShow driver insitu in the diagnostic you have presented to the forum. How come? Can another editor check this as well please in case I've missed something?

Dafydd

I checked the uploaded txt file and I also did not find any CyberLink entry,, then I, checked my 64 bit system and did not find any CyberLink entry on either the 32 or 64 diagnostic check !!!

I have PD9 on this system, maybe it's different. I will check tomorrow on my PD 10 system. Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
GTX 680, 2 X Benq23 3D monitors,
6G DDR3, Win 7 64, Win 10 (Insider) 64
PCIE SSD, Intel Sata SSD 2 500 Gbyte Seagate,
Minoru 3D WebCam, NVIDIA 3D Vision-Ready
archaeoguy16 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry for the confusion folks. I am under some tight deadlines. To prevent further problems I completely removed Cyberlink from my system before installing some new video editing software (which runs just fine). Again, thank you all for your help and if I have time in the future I will upload more debugging info, but for now I have to keep working.

Best,

Erich
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
64bit doesn't show any CyberLink direct show. 32bit does.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 12. 2011 13:47

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
If have PD9 Ultra on my computer, I do not have any cyberlink entries in my 32 bit Dxdiag.txt file. And I just ran it.

Filename
Carl312_32bit_DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
My 32 bit Dxdiag.txt
 Filesize
32 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
491 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 12. 2011 14:53

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

kingsmeadow
Senior Member Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Dec 06, 2011 11:52 Messages: 179 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: 64bit doesn't show any CyberLink direct show. 32bit does.

Dafydd

I ran DxDiag on my system with PD10 and sure enough the 32 run shows dozens of Cyberlink entries , the 64 run shows none... Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
SeptimusFry
Senior Member Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
[Post New]
You know, every time I read these threads about things not working, and people thrashing about in semi-random fashion, I am absolutely bewildered.

Problem solving, of any technological thing, requires a strategy, tools and a little time.

For 'my software won't run' the strategy starts by firing up a bare version of your O.S, known as selective startup using MSCONFIG. The tools provided by MSCONFIG enable you to eliminate all startup programs or services, you then try running the software and if OK, carefully add back the suppressed startup programs and services bit by bit until you find out what is screwing things up. If not OK, then you have a fundament problem involving only three components: Hardware, Operating System and Application Software.

Since we know that PD normally works on your OS, there is a hardware problem which is 99.9% sure to be in your graphics card or driver. Try an alternative driver by either unrolling to an earlier version, or getting the latest. Else, you have to try an alternative board with its driver.

I know this sounds "OK in theory but...", well it is OK in practice too. The grand majority of problems with programs [not OS] will be sorted by proceding thus. And it doesn't take long. It is like following a recipe: the first time it is a bit slow, but subsequently, one gets very quick.

Using Diagnostic/Selective Startup MSCONFIG (ie bare system)

@Dafydd - I did a posting on this some time back which I thought you had pegged somewhere, but I can't find it. Can you provide a link to it, please?

denbigh

PS If you need more info on this procedure, please send me a PM and I will do all I can to help.

PPS. Please, posters, do not, repeat NOT, add some negative stuff to this thread suggesting this is complicated and dangerous. It is straightforward, methodical and the ONLY way to proceed instead of trying this that and the other!!! If you think I am being a bit testy, it is because some prat posted negatively on some previous occasion!

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 13. 2011 07:05

i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Denbigh,

Post: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/16273.page

Bookmarks: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/bookmarks/list/4556.page

One link: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/17508.page

Dafydd
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: You know, every time I read these threads about things not working, and people thrashing about in semi-random fashion, I am absolutely bewildered.

I think you are being overly harsh. I know the problems with using a "shotgun" approach. If I can't follow a trail of breadcrumbs, I typically try a binary process.

Unfortunately, despite decades of trouble-shooting computer problems I've been unable to solve one of my major problems with PD. The biggest obstacle is that nobody else has ever reported the same problem, even though it is simple to replicate and not a "sometimes" thing.

If I can't even begin to narrow a completely repeatable problem down, how much worse is it for folks to pin down an intermittent problem?
Jerry Schwartz
kingsmeadow
[Post New]
Quote: Sorry for the confusion folks. I am under some tight deadlines. To prevent further problems I completely removed Cyberlink from my system before installing some new video editing software (which runs just fine). Again, thank you all for your help and if I have time in the future I will upload more debugging info, but for now I have to keep working.

Best,

Erich

Don't think we have forgotten about this issue, because some of us haven't. I peruse the forum every once in awhile looking at past issues and see if there has been any resolution. In this situation I thought of another idea. Perhaps you have already done this, but just in case.

Check what programs are starting up and running in the background. These things are not always obvious and I have cured hundreds of PCs from slow running to not running using this technique. The 2 tools I use are Ccleaner which I have used with complete trust for more than 10 years, and also Starter by Codestuff, for the same length of time. They will not show identical startups and that is why I use both. They will both allow you to disable or delete which is excellent for troubleshooting. To give you an idea of what can be done, my Win 7 64 starts from cold in 37 seconds !

Let us know how you get on. Intel Core i7 3770K 3.6 Ghz,
Malissa123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 06, 2011 14:01 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I have used PowerDirector v9 for 2 years, and loved it, prior to purchasing v10 over the summer. My only complaint with 9 was when I made photo slideshows it kept crashing. I was using a dell w/Windows XP 32bit. When I got v10 it worked great, then I had to get a new computer, a Lenovo w/ Windows 7 64bit. All of the slideshows I've made on the new computer (they are non-HD non-3D) have playback issues on non-HD DVD players. The picture is jittery (freezes repeatedly for a second, while the sound is fine) They even have a slight problem on HD DVD players, but not nearly to the extent. No playback issues noticed while playing DVD on the computer. I had to transfer the finished produced files and all associated source files to the old computer just to get them finished for Christmas. Now I'm trying to get someone to help me so I can use this on my new computer. I've had no luck with customer support, as they keep giving me the same very basic instructions of checking for updates and such. I do currently have an open ticket with them: CS001225873, but if anyone has ANY suggestions, please feel free to be specific. My husband is an IT guy who can get into this up to his elbows if he has a direction to go.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
RaDonna,
Welcome to the Forum, please start a new thread.
Also, take a look at this link...
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
Read the directions and provide us with PART A & PART B.
Don't worry, it's EZ, and the information will help members to analyze your issue.
We'll be watching for your new thread!
HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT