Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD adds tracks without being asked
chuckpuckett [Avatar]
Member Location: Alabama Joined: Jan 30, 2011 09:41 Messages: 95 Offline
[Post New]
This has been a pain since I got PD10. I have several video tracks (3-4 usually). After I get them synched with the master audio track (Oh, please, please, please, PLEASE let the latest patch fix the audio/video slippage problem! Although I see no mention in the release notes...)

Anyway, after I get them synched, I unlink the audio from the video, create 3-4 video only tracks, move the video into these, then remove empty tracks. This just cleans up my track space, makes it easier to edit. Fine so far.

But NOW, when I add like a Title or credit, PD just automatically creates a new video/audio track. Boom. No reason. I don't need it, don't want it, have to remove it again.

I've included all my workflow details, whether they are germane or not, I do not know. Anybody else seeing PD pop in new tracks without being asked to? Chuck Puckett
"I don't want to steal the show. I only want to borrow it for a while"
http://www.puckettpublishing.com
http://www.chuckpuckettsongaweek.com
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi chuckpuckett,

Yes. I know exactly what you’re talking about. Noticed it right away, and liked it.
I guess it’s just a matter of taste. Because when I open up a couple of new/extra tracks, I’m glad that as I fill them, PD automatically adds/opens another new track for me. That just saves me step of having to open another one should I need it, which I usually do.

But, perhaps we could agree, and add to the suggestion box (wherever that might be), that it would be nice if Cyberlink added an option in Preferences, where users could designate whether they want to turn the Automatically Add New Track option On or Off.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 10. 2011 00:10

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Chuck,

Auto track generation is a problem when you have or want a specific style of Edit Workspace and the addition of tracks unsolicited is a nuisance.

The workspace I used is similar to the one Chuck describes and I add tracks when I want to. The workaround is to have a video/audio track below your single media track. Track generation takes place when the last track is occupied. Keep the "last" track empty and the generation doesn't take place. For me, audio free video only tracks saved display space. Track generation adds an unnecessary audio track at the wrong time and wrong place.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 10. 2011 04:15

Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Keep the "last" track empty and the generation doesn't take place.

That's kind of.. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Isn’t it?
Or is it just a matter of semantics?

Chuck wants to:
...create 3-4 video only tracks, move the video into these, then remove empty tracks.

Dafydd workaround, in order to avoid PD causing an extra unused track to open (so Chuck won’t have to remove it), is to always have an extra unused track open.

Perhaps simply adding an On /Off option in Preferences (as suggested above), would eliminate the need of having to always have an extra unused track open , in order to avoid having an extra unused track open.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Cranston,
Not sure what point you're trying to continue with here. I wrote up what I had to do to circumvent the additional generation of an audio and video track when I also wanted to have 4 to 5 video tracks and I to removed the empty tracks at the end video editing.

For example I had as tracks 1,2,3 and 4 set for video (video only tracks). When I placed an image file into track 4, PD10 generated a video and audio track (track 5) which was surplus to my requirement. In an effort not to have this additional track(s), I ensured track 4 wasn't part of my editing and kept the workspace display minimalist. This was a workaround I used. Your suggestion and your acceptance of the generation is not being questioned. So why the additional post?

Dafydd
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I don't see the need for such a "tweak" of the program, nor have I ever seen a post from someone decrying the lack of auto-generating tracks, so I am puzzled as to why it even exists. Can someone explain the advantage of this? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Cranston
[Post New]
Quote: Not sure what point you're trying to continue with here. So why the additional post?

Geez!
A little defensive?
It was just a bit of humor, reflecting the humor and irony oft found in semantics.
OK, I’ll break it down for you.
One member says... I wish PD wouldn’t auto-open an unused extra track that I don’t want.
Another member says... If you keep an unused extra track open, then that won’t happen.

Ya’ see the funny “irony” in the “semantics” there?
No?
Anydody?
(Whew. Tough crowd tonight)

“So why the additional post?”
You mean on the same subject? Cause it’s an open forum. And because my DxDiag material needs work, and is even worse than my Auto-Opening Track bit, hahaha.
But I’m sorry. As apparently I’ve ruffled some feathers.

Try the veal.

chuckpuckett [Avatar]
Member Location: Alabama Joined: Jan 30, 2011 09:41 Messages: 95 Offline
[Post New]
( Yes, I got the irony )

I just wish PD10 would stabilize. Thursday night, I spent hours trying to edit a Title (from a personal template I've been using all year), only to have PD lockup every time I hit the Modify button. Cyberlink received several auto-gen email reports from that experience. Friday night (after loading the latest patch, which did not mention any problem of this sort in the patch notes), I added the same Title template, and voila! Modify worked. Of course PD locked up when I added and tried to modify a Credits template. But it worked the second time, so I guess I have to claim, with the Bard, "all's well that end's well".

Looking forward to seeing whether my audio/video synch problem is in anyway alleviated by the latest patch. Had to match it up manually for my most recent effort. Tried using something called DualEyes (which was suggested on this forum), but found it totally inadequate.

PD is a great program, a great NLE, certainly at the price. But I do hope for more stability. Chuck Puckett
"I don't want to steal the show. I only want to borrow it for a while"
http://www.puckettpublishing.com
http://www.chuckpuckettsongaweek.com
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Good luck wit dat, Chuck.
As for the auto-generating track, I always keep a "junk" track handy, to remove items without tossing every other file out of place, so maybe that's where the idea comes from, but creating new tracks without permission? I don't know if I like that yet. Oh, and crabs like veal.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 10. 2011 18:17

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Sounds like a "she's touchin me" issue I had with my kids 25 years ago....

I don't care ether way on this issue.... if there is nothing on the track it does nothing. Like Barry said it is a good way to delete items without upsetting your timeline when you drag the item you want to delete down to a free track then delete it... which is very handy.

Otherwise I don't notice it being in the way when it is below my screen. Or when it is in my normal screen.... there are a lot of other issues with PD that needs attention besides something like that....

I guess we need more polls in here... Cyberlink DOES listen sometimes.....

My vote is .... leave it like it is.... it saves me the trouble of having to go and add one when I need it...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 13. 2011 11:22

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link