Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
No Sound on capture with Pinnacle hardware
[Post New]
Greetings! I am a recent convert to from Pinnacle Studio 12 to PD10. Its nice over here in the light but I do still have one foot on the darkside - my capture hardware. I use the capture hardware from PS Movie Box. My camera plugs to the Pinnacle box (composite cables) and then to the PC. When I capture in PS12, everything is just fine. PD10 will capture video and list the driver as a Pinnacle driver. However, it will not pick up the sound. I know the cabling and h/w are fine because the only thing I change is from Pinnacle to Power Director. I'd like to cut ties with the Pinnacle s/w completely, but can't till I solve this one quirk. I suspect I will need to get a new capture card, but wanted to check with the guru's here to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I don't have any experience with your device. Please check the audio selections are set up correctly on your PC and within PD10 for the capture to take place.

PD10 open > Capture Workspace > Settings (bottom right), Audio options

Check you've selected the right Profile as well.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 06. 2011 14:59

[Post New]
I'll double check that after I solve my current menu'ing challenge (its a learning issue, not product I am sure), but I thought I went through the capture settings pretty well. I'll let you know. Thanks!
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,
I don't have any experience with your device. Please check the audio selections are set up correctly on your PC and within PD10 for the capture to take place.

PD10 open > Capture Workspace > Settings (bottom right), Audio options

Check you've selected the right Profile as well.

Dafydd

I checked the settings - it says Pinnacle 710-USB for the video capture. It also shows Pinnacle 710-USB as the Audio Device. The last box, audio input, is blank and there is no drop down to select anything. Under Profile, I just have it set to MPEG2. The details show Stereo Audio under that.

The interesting thing I see is it shows up as a Web Cam. Its a USB cable between the external box (cable converter) and the composite cables going to the camera. I wonder if PD doesn't consider Web Cams as having sound in.

I also checked my Pinnacle drivers; I am up to date.

Thoughts from all would be appreciated.

On another note, I see that new cards are not that expensive. My camera can output composite and Svideo. Does anyone have any suggestions for capture devices that work well with PD?
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Just for the heck of it, did you try other USB ports?
I have had peripherals that behave differently, or not at all, using different USB ports. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
warriorfullight [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 09, 2011 06:16 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Some USB ports are naturally slow and you always have to use the high speed one in order to have everything work as it is.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I checked the settings - it says Pinnacle 710-USB for the video capture. It also shows Pinnacle 710-USB as the Audio Device. The last box, audio input, is blank and there is no drop down to select anything. Under Profile, I just have it set to MPEG2. The details show Stereo Audio under that.

What about your computer Mixer settings?

Attachments.
Capture Audio settings, show the location of the mixer button, Click it!

The other image is a screen shot of my Windows 7 Audio settings.
When I record from a capture source, the sound is coming from Stereo Mix.
As you can see there are lots of sound sources on my computer, choose the wrong one, no sound.

You may need to get stereo mix available if you have Windows 7, does not work the same on Windows XP.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/39532/how-to-enable-stereo-mix-in-windows-7-to-record-audio/

[Thumb - Capture Audio settings_note.jpg]
 Filename
Capture Audio settings_note.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Where Mixer button located in capture module
 Filesize
23 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
617 time(s)
[Thumb - Mixer window Showing Stereo Mix active.jpg]
 Filename
Mixer window Showing Stereo Mix active.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Windows 7 Audio Mixer Recording tab
 Filesize
33 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
562 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 09. 2011 11:55

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
I will try another USB port in a bit...it requires me to climb under the desk and I have an errand I need to run first.

The Mixer settings - I'm unsure with those. They seem okay. The part that gets me is the device shows up as a Web Cam and any video that I do capture doesn't even have an Audio track in Edit mode. My hypothesis is that PD doesn't recognize an audio track from teh video in the first place. I could, of course, be wrong. I do have a DV port on the camera, but I don't have a 4pin to six pin DV cable. WHile I am out, I may see if I can find a cable for a reasonable price and try that (do they even make a 4 to 6 pin cable? I'll have to google that here in a sec).
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
If you get the sound working, you will be able to hear the sound in the Capture Preview.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Life Church [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 17, 2012 16:01 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I will try another USB port in a bit...it requires me to climb under the desk and I have an errand I need to run first.

The Mixer settings - I'm unsure with those. They seem okay. The part that gets me is the device shows up as a Web Cam and any video that I do capture doesn't even have an Audio track in Edit mode. My hypothesis is that PD doesn't recognize an audio track from teh video in the first place. I could, of course, be wrong. I do have a DV port on the camera, but I don't have a 4pin to six pin DV cable. WHile I am out, I may see if I can find a cable for a reasonable price and try that (do they even make a 4 to 6 pin cable? I'll have to google that here in a sec).

Did this issue ever get resolved? I am having the exact same problem. I have a Pinnacle 710-USB capture device that is being recognized in PowerDirector 10 as a webcam, but I get no audio, just video...
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Life Church, it is best to start a new thread with your very own issue, so don't hesitate, just remember we are volunteers, and give us some information to try and solve the problem.
See this link for general info...
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page
Hopefully, we can help.
HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT