Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Installed P2G 8, cannot uninstall P2G 7
keefy [Avatar]
Member Location: Isle of Wight Joined: Aug 19, 2008 09:20 Messages: 100 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

I have just installed the new V.8 upgrade (assuming I needed to have V.7 on the system). It works OK so I thought I would uninstall V.7 using the usual procedure. The uninstall would not work - "definition file missing" (I've had this so many times when trying to uninstall Cyberlink progs.)

Plan B. Delete as many files manually as I can and then go and clean up the registry. No luck there. I get a box up saying that certain files are in use and I cannot delete. I have no other writing software on my system, but now I have two versions of P2G that both still work!

I love Cyberlink progs. when they work, but they all seem to have a flawed install/uninstall system.

Many thanks
Keith

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 16. 2011 13:41

RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
If you purchased the upgrade from 7 to 8 you cannot uninstall 7, it is an integral part of 8.

If you purchased the full version of 8, then you can uninstall 7.

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
keefy [Avatar]
[Post New]
Many thanks. I wish I knew that before purchasing.

I could understand that one needed V7 installed to be able to install V 8, but having to keep both "working" versions forever does not make sense. Furthermore, I seem unable now to uninstall either of them - both automatically or manually.
Surely something is not right?

Keith
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I am thinking that the "upgrade" choice is a poorly thought out approach by CL.
I bought into the PD10 upgrade, and I think that was a mistake. If you own the previous version, they should just let you pay for the upgrade and get it, these modular updates are really poor. For that reason, I'll not get P2G8. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
keefy [Avatar]
[Post New]
I so agree. Is there a chance CL will listen to the Community if we all unite?

I too have recently purchased the new Power Director 10 Ultra - Full edition from Amazon £47.38, as I was fed up with the Update hassle. If we were to enter our unique Key Code from the previous edition on the order, why can't we have the Full Version every time? It should be easier for CL too!

I am thinking of applying for a refund on the Power2Go Update - as I hate having both versions 7 & 8 stuck on my system as they are at present.

Keith

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 17. 2011 11:36

keefy [Avatar]
[Post New]
I thought I should write again to say my problem is resolved and, smuggly, I'm rather pleased with myself.

1. I uninstalled the new v8.

2. I evenually managed to uninstall the v7 - using the manual method as the auto uninstall would not funtion.

3. I used the P2G cleaner tool to remove any traces that may remain.

4. I tried installing the new v8 (even though v7 was not on the system anymore), and put in my Key Code to activate.

5. Magic!!! it works (although I have not tried all functions yet).

Conclusion: You do not need v7 installed as we first assumed!

I do hope this helps .

Keith
kaleelullah kaleelullah [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 20, 2012 05:09 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
unable to uninstallPower2Go8 platinum based on error message setup cannot load/unload,SKUtil.dll