Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quick look at GTX1070 Encode Performance with PD14
[Post New]
I confessed that I didn't go trough that step since my system can edit fluidly the IBBP encoded files. I said that by just looking at the settings of that codec.

Well... not using multicam here.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 03. 2016 08:39

Ray Mc [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 23, 2014 19:01 Messages: 61 Offline
[Post New]
My biggest problem seems to have been in the system software load. With new systen drive ( win 10 and PD 14 ultimate) I can now also run the standard mp4 1080p files with shadow files on in High quality preview and my sync and stutters have gone away. So hd editting is a reality.

I appreciate all the input and have a better understanding of the hardware mechanics. The 1060 is on the top of my list since my original footage from a gh4 is in 4 gig chunks and I am doing long form projects at the moment. Cutting the assembly Time ( rendering of 8 to ten minute files ) will help.
Ray Mc [Avatar]
[Post New]
The magic yuv process did multiply file size by 10.

Will be handy later when I can get the full 4.2.2 10 bit out of my gh4 cameras. Then again maybe PD and better hardware will make 4k as easy to move around in a couple of years as hd is becoming.

Sorry if my bottleneck explanation was confusing since I did a beginners interpitation of the downside of the nvidia 970.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: My biggest problem seems to have been in the system software load. With new systen drive ( win 10 and PD 14 ultimate) I can now also run the standard mp4 1080p files with shadow files on in High quality preview and my sync and stutters have gone away. So hd editting is a reality.

Your statements are a little confusing but glad you have something that works for you. Keep in mind, when you have shadow files on, you are no longer previewing or doing timeline edit playback of the source quality file. You are timeline editing a downsampled file for editing fluidity, this is why the timeline/multicam stutters go away or improve depending on timeline complexity.

Shadowfiles when used are a editing ease feature only, when one actually produces or creates a disc of the timeline content, then the actual source video quality is rendered to desired output quality specifications.

Jeff
Ray Mc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks again I didn't understand what the shadow files were doing exactly. I was giving my best interpitation of all the forum posts and some internet searches I have been doing. And now I see how I was not clear when asking if I could edit in HD. While now i understand I am sampling the hd fliles to enable editing to flow... Yeah

Can't say exactly what was screwing things up but its working.

Last time I did any editing was on a program called Speed Razor. Svhs was my source material and digital was just hitting the television industry. Digital tape that is. Sony sold Panavision 200 of there first hd cameras adapted for the panavision lenses.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks again I didn't understand what the shadow files were doing exactly. I was giving my best interpitation of all the forum posts and some internet searches I have been doing. And now I see how I was not clear when asking if I could edit in HD. While now i understand I am sampling the hd fliles to enable editing to flow... Yeah

Shadow files, when selected in pref, are generated anytime a HD video is import into the media library. It will be annotated with a orange movie strip icon in the lower left corner of the clip when this lower resolution timeline proxy file is being generated. The icon in the lower left corner of the clip will change from orange to green when complete. It's generally advisable to make sure you have the green status prior to actually moving the clip to the timeline and start editing. Although not mandatory, waiting generally provides a more satisfed editing experience. For long duration clips this can take a while depending on compute capability. The generation process at PD14 is CPU capped so the generation does not entirely pull down a lower end compute platform.

For the NTSC pref setting, these proxy files are MPEG files with a bitrate of ~6-8Mbps depending on source and a framesize of 720x480 for 16:9 source. MPEG because it has fairly low CPU playback requirements compared to other codecs like H.264 so allows rather complex timelines to playback fluidly.

When you turn these shadow files off for a edit session, then one is working with nearly source resolution files in the timeline which can cause playback hickups for complex timelines and high quality clips or when significant "corrections" are added to a clip. One or two clips in a PIP type fashion usually no playback problems for a higher end compute platform, a PIP video wall of 9 hgih quality clips, usually a issue for about any platform.

As mentioned previously, other options also exist to enhance playback fluidity depending on what fits one's workflow, manually generated proxy files, intermediate codec editing files.... to name a few.

Jeff