Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
UPDATE - I give up: turned over to tech support
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks...I'll try that. But even if it works, the problem must be with PD14, since PD12 works just fine with current drivers.

Since I'm not a gamer, I don't need the latest driver, though... 😀 Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
I rolled back the nvidia driver to 359, which was the one I used when I first upgraded PD14 from PD12. PD14 worked okay then, but I returned the upgrade version and bought the full boxed version, which I'm now using and having the problems with.

Driver 359 did not have any effect on the problem...it still occurs. I have now restored to 364.51, which is the most recent version.

I guess I'll just have to endure technical support (their last request was for a screen shot taken when the problem occurs. Now how in the world is a screen shot of "no audio" going to tell anyone anything?) They also asked for my SR number, which I had given them with my original question. Sigh... Regards,
Dan
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
(10 core, 20M Cache),
Richmond Dan
[Post New]
Okay, I'll update this again, just in case anyone is trying to follow along. I took the MOV clip, which sometimes produces audio when played on the timeline and sometimes doesn't. I used HandBrake (which I learned about on this forum) and converted it to MP4. It plays just fine.

So there's something about MOV that my PD14, Win10 machine doesn't like (nor does my Win7 machine). I've also tried other MOV clips, with the same result, so it's not a bad clip.

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode... Regards,
Dan
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
(10 core, 20M Cache),
Richmond Dan
[Post New]
Latest update:

I'm cautiously optimistic. I first received word that they were working on my issue, then that they had escalated the issue to the technical support group. Today they indicated that they have been able to reproduce the problem and are working on a resolution. In the meantime, they provided me with a full version of CL MediaEspresso, which is a file conversion program, and suggested that I transcode my file to H.264 MP4 for editing in PD as a temporary work around.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 31. 2016 14:53

Regards,
Dan
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
(10 core, 20M Cache),
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
I'm still 'watching' this thread Dan. I'm sure many are also - hoping to learn what has caused your issue. Hang in there and hopefully your problem will be resolved soon - and we'll all learn something!

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
[Post New]
Not related necessarily - MOV extension is Apple "property" and as far as I know they don't let anybody create encoders and decoders for it.

Basically every software that deals with it has to use Apple decoder/encoder - QuickTime. For Windows they have a limited version that is written in 32 bit. Any software that is 64 bit will have to use some kind of software "glue" to use that 32 bit portion.
MOV works perfect only on a native Mac computer.

Since I don't own a Mac and don't intend to, I am avoiding any equipment that defaults the video recording to MOV format.

PS: Hadbrake uses a decoder created by the "open" community. Since they are located in France and they are not selling anything in US, I think they are hard to reach by Apple's legal arm.

PD uses the "open" comunity software too for the MKV files.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 02. 2016 07:35

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: MOV works perfect only on a native Mac computer.

That statement completely surprises me. I have quite a few cameras that record/store video files in a MOV container... and I've not had any issues playing back or editing on a PC.

It's certainly true that MOV files have probably given more PDR users grief than any other - you just have to scour these forum pages to find that. The problems are often (a) audio not playing back properly or (b) either audio or video not playing back at all (black or silent)...

While I don't pretend to understand all the technicalities, my own observation doesn't line up with your blanket statement. Not disputing it - just trying to understand.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 02. 2016 12:47

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Not related necessarily - MOV extension is Apple "property" and as far as I know they don't let anybody create encoders and decoders for it.

Basically every software that deals with it has to use Apple decoder/encoder - QuickTime. For Windows they have a limited version that is written in 32 bit. Any software that is 64 bit will have to use some kind of software "glue" to use that 32 bit portion.
MOV works perfect only on a native Mac computer.

Since I don't own a Mac and don't intend to, I am avoiding any equipment that defaults the video recording to MOV format.

PS: Hadbrake uses a decoder created by the "open" community. Since they are located in France and they are not selling anything in US, I think they are hard to reach by Apple's legal arm.

PD uses the "open" comunity software too for the MKV files.

Interesting, I have an older camera(Panasonic SDR-S7) and content I import from that camera appears on my computer with the .MOV extension in its file name, but it is, in fact an MPEG2 file, as that is the type of file this particular camera creates, raw MPEG2 and I've had no problem with using these types of clips whatsoever. How do I know if it's MPEG2? Right-click on the file and scroll down to "properties", the answer, my friend, is blowing in that wind!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Neil, I think your Panny files are MODs, not MOVs. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Neil, I think your Panny files are MODs, not MOVs.

Sorry, You're correct, Barry!

The files are indeed tagged as MOD though they are MPEG2. But a file would be labeled as MOV001(and subsequent numbers for subsequequent shots).

Cheers!

Neil.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Richmond Dan,
As a temporary workaround run the mov files through Handbrake (free file converter) and create H264 mp4's and then use those files to edit in PowerDirector.
Dafydd