Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
CUDA encoder vs nVidia GTX 750Ti - 10 times slower hardware encode at 1920x1080 24 Mbps
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Cool, I didn't think to install my old 9500GT to see if double is used or not in the CUDA encoder - that's for the nVidia engineers to answer. It would be good for the newer cards, since all have good single point performance.
Wonder if it does a difference in encoding quality...

While my field of works is not graphics, it doesn't make much sense to me that a CODEC would be using FPU. Floating-point makes more sense for things like 3D rendering.

I was planning to replace the Quadro 600 with a 750Ti, but then I found out that it's nvenc is a weirdo - between Kepler and Maxwell2. So I am not sure how well will play in future (buggy?) because of this in-between generation.

I think whenever there is a new piece of software/hardware, it is guaranteed to be pretty buggy. This is just reality these days with consumer-level stuff. If you buy the hardware and software from 12-18 months ago, they tend to have worked out the bugs, and you save a bunch doing that as well. There is a big premium to pay to get the latest and "greatest" and it's not just money.

The Maxwell 2 looks good on paper. I want the HDMI 2.0 in particular for 4K progressive display support.
The Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti I got supports 4k progressive with dual HDMI - but very few monitors actually support that.
New displays are using HDMI 2.0 .

But $350 - $400 for a GTX 970 is too high of a price to pay to be a beta-tester. I already feel I paid too much to test the GTX 750 Ti.
When there is a sub-$200 card, I may consider it. Maybe there will be a decent and affordable 4K monitor to go with it too.
I also want a 4K projector for my home theater that doesn't cost $10k . Or $4k Guess I'll wait a few more years for that.

Samsung 55" LED TV UN55HU8550FXZA 4K Smart TV under 2K! on sale NOW!(sounds like salesman...)

whenever you're working with 4K videos from your LG G3 with PD13, would you post'em.
I'd love to seat with my popcorn and watch...
thanks a million.
p.s.
meanwhile I'm eyeing on an ASUS ROG G751JT with GTX 970M for $1499...

Yes, I do believe in Santa and Mrs. Claus!!!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 16. 2014 13:46

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
[Post New]
No, no, no... Don't go with a laptop. Overheats, frequency is lower, no upgrades possible.
For the same money get a decent workstation, see just an example here. Trow in a desktop version of GTX970 (higher clock) and you are at the same price.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 16. 2014 15:09

Julien Pierre [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Apr 14, 2011 01:34 Messages: 476 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Samsung 55" LED TV UN55HU8550FXZA 4K Smart TV under 2K! on sale NOW!(sounds like salesman...)

Sorry, but a 55" TV is 1/4 of the size of my 106" projection screen. I have been using this screen for over 10 years and I'm simply not going back to a TV. A projector is easy to update - I went from one with 960x540 resolution 2003 to 1280x720 later on and then 1920x1080 - the later of which I have had for 6.5 years.

I don't see a significant need to upgrade it yet. There are some 3D projectors under $2000k, even under $1000, but I don't really see the big deal with 3D movies. 4K on the other hand is more interesting to me.
But the cheapest 4K projectors are currently in the $10k range, so it's not time yet.

whenever you're working with 4K videos from your LG G3 with PD13, would you post'em.
thanks a million.

OK. I haven't actually shot any yet. I just got a little tri-stand for the phone at a store today.
I have shot some HD video with the G3 though, and it's pretty good. I can post some of that.

meanwhile I'm eyeing on an ASUS ROG G751JT with GTX 970M for $1499...

Yes, I do believe in Santa and Mrs. Claus!!!

I would never go with a laptop. The ergonomics to me just don't work. I especially can't stand trackpads, so I'm handicapped when it comes to using a laptop. I have a laptop at work, and 99% of the time it's sitting on a docking station with a proper keyboard and pointing decide on it, along with a couple extra monitors attached. Essentially I use my laptop as a desktop.
For pointing devices, give me a good trackball - on the left hand side - or nothing. I use a Kensington Expert Mouse.

Also, laptops don't have much in the way of ugpradability. I have been building my own PCs from parts since the days of the 386.
I never build a full machine. I have some parts that are very old and still in use. My Phenom II x6 machine is a desktop in a Lian-Li PC60 case I bought in the year 2000. I still have an LSI Ultra160 PCI SCSI card from around that time as well.
The 15k rpm hard drive that was attached to it died, though. My HP DDS-4 SCSI tape drive is still good. And the data from my DDS-2 tapes made in 1995 is still readable on it.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 17. 2014 02:52

MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 960 4GB
480 GB Patriot Ignite SSD (boot)
2 x 480 GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD (striped)
6 x 1 TB Samsung 860 SSD (striped)

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
Asus PB238 23" HD (portrait)
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
thanks a million.

Here is one that was done in HD - sorry, not 4K - in very lowlight conditions, in my home theater, which is a veritable man cave - a room without windows. Some lights were on, but dim.

The original footage from the camera is here :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1eSSO_7gwqedUR5UlNPVEk4UEE/view?usp=sharing

The video was shot vertically. Here is a rotated 4K re-encode that preserves all the vertical pixels.
I have also applied video denoise and video enhancement effects in PD13.
For some reason, PD13 messed up the audio a little bit on the re-encode, must be another bug.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1eSSO_7gwqeTlJPS2F0dGdBQlk/view?usp=sharing

I will try to do some 4K shoots in the upcoming week.
MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
[Post New]
Quote:
The video was shot vertically. Here is a rotated 4K re-encode that preserves all the vertical pixels.

Why? That's not a 4k video anymore...
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:

Why? That's not a 4k video anymore...

It wasn't a 4K video to begin with, it was HD 1080x1920 .
Rotating and rendering it as 4K allows preserving all the original pixels.
If I just rotated and re-rendered it as HD, it would have to either be cropped, or significantly lose data.

Here is one that's 4K, straight out of the camera.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1eSSO_7gwqecXh1aGpzNG9FRVU/view?usp=sharing

This was shot at 3840x2160x30p, ie. "UHD" technically, not 4K .. That's the highest the built-in camera app goes.
I think there are some hacks to make it go higher in terms of FPS. I may need a faster SD card, though.
The automatic video gain control is very annoying and there are no manual controls in the app for aperture/speed/ISO.

Sorry that this isn't very interesting material, my busy home office, with a bunch of GPUs, and the inside of one computer, with my unsteady hands. It is indoors and still challenging lighting conditions. The video is very noisy. This is a good reminder that this is still a cell phone primarily, not a professional video camera. I'm sure it would do better on a tripod, though. I bought a little stand for it today.

http://www.centralcomputers.com/catalog/product.jsp?product_id=89555&czuid=1416226530437

That's all I could find suitable at a local store on a sunday. I may order something better from Amazon. Ultimately, I want a cell phone mount head with a proper mounting screw hole that I can attach to an existing floorstanding tripod.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 17. 2014 07:16

MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is some actual 4K material I just recorded .

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1eSSO_7gwqeRmlEcnBQQl9FUzQ/view?usp=sharing

I found out that the max UHD clip length is 5 minutes on the LG G3. This is to prevent overheating.
It also drains the battery pretty quickly. I didn't have it plugged in when I was recording.
It took me more than a few takes to get this decent one.

I recorded the audio separately on a professional audio interface, preamp & mics, and put it back together with the clip in PD13 which makes it very easy with multicam.

I also ran several effects on the video clip : video denoise, white balance, and video enhancement, as well as rotation to make the edge of the harpsichord parallel to the bottom of the picture.

That took about 15 minutes to render, for a 45 seconds clip. And it it takes 250 MB.

There is not much motion, just my hands, so I could probably have gotten away with a far lower bit rate. I guess the video compression algorithms don't account for that possibility .

I think the result was worth the wait in terms of image quality, though. It is noticeably sharper than anything I have ever gotten out of an HD camcorder or DSLR. And I'm only viewing this at 2560x1600, I don't have an actual 4K screen which might reveal even more details.

Too bad I didn't think of manually focusing near the keyboard. I think the focus point was probably left at the default in the center.
MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K