Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Videos freeze during transitions
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Matt -

Thanks for posting the different samples. There certainly is something wrong there, but I think having a full 2 second transition is highlighting the issue. If you dropped the duration to 1 second (or less) it would not be so noticeable.

A few other observations:

1. What have you done with the aspect ratio? Is that how the produced file looks on your PC? or is it just YouTube messing it up? If it's just YT, you can add a "yt:stretch=16:9" tag (without quotes) to force the player to display it as 16:9.
- what WMV profile did you use to produce?

2. WMM has "Dissolve" and "Fade" transitions. Not sure which version you're using.

3. 00:00:05:04 is the centrepoint of the cross transition (i.e. the duration of the first clip)... the "perfect" frame Jeff is referring to is at the centrepoint of the overlap transition. * I'm not seeing that as a "freeze" either.

4. The effect has similarities with those achieved using the new Pixelan Plug-in, Dissolve Master

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - Matt_AR.png]
 Filename
Matt_AR.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
206 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
728 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 16. 2013 15:00

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Jeff, thanks for your response. I'm not sure if I understand what you said, but maybe this will help. The second video (the one I am transitioning to) "freezes" during the entire transition period of the first video. So, if the entire transition period is 2 seconds long (1 second on video one and 1 second on video 2), the second video freezes for the entire second while the transition is playing on video 1. As soon as the playhead crosses to video 2, the second video begins to move. It is much longer than 1 frame.

Also, the inverse happens. The fist video freezes during the part of the transition over the second video.

Does that make sense?

Sorry, I don't see that effect in your posted youtube files, nothing freezes for anything close to a second during my playback. Your item "B" for me is smooth except for the one static freeze on a single frame. Your item "C" plays through without this effect. I can believe playback of the timeline while editing on your computer may freeze as you state but I do not see it in the posted youtube files and in a earlier post you stated it happens during preview and produced movies so I'm unsure of the issue.

Quote: Also, the previews AND the produced movies have the same behavior.

Jeff

Jeff,

Look at video B. The second Jeep, just coming in from fade freezes between the 4 and 5 second mark. It should be moving as the transition begins. I have viewed the video from other computers (including a Mac) and it does the same thing.

Tony,

Yeah, I'm not sure what Youtube did with the aspect ratio. I decided just to leave it because it didn't change the behavior. On my computer, both in preview and in produced movies, the aspect ratio is fine.

Yes, making the duration of the transition shorter lessens the impact, but still doesn't stop it. I have uploaded another short video with a longer transition (4 seconds instead of 2). This amplifies the freezing effect. Look at the Jeep between about 3.5 - 5.5 seconds, it is frozen in the frame. http://youtu.be/nxroVdj0hWg

And here is the video with correct aspect ratio: http://youtu.be/7ee7E2vHKqA

Yes, I still have the aspect ratio problem (though it doesn't effect the outcome).

Thanks for your help!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 16. 2013 17:41

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Ah yes - I see what you mean. The Jeep (or is it a Hummer?) in the first clip freezes at 00:00:05:03 and stays like that till it's completely faded out at 00:00:07:00. That was a cross transition - yes?

Matt - the aspect ratio problem (I know it's irrelevant here) is almost certainly because of the WMV profile you selected. YouTube messes up PD's WMVs occasionally. Adding the yt:stretch=16:9 tag should fix it.

Would it be possible for you to upload the original clips? Obviously the file size would be an inhibiting factor.

Cheers - Tony
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
CROSS-fade mode freezing, especially noticeable during lengthy dissolves, is the nature of that mode. It has been evident on several editors that I have tested. The behavior is unrelated to video cards or YouTube.

The TO video will freeze from fade up to half-way mark; the FROM video will freeze from half-way to fade out.

To work around this use the OVERLAP mode instead. Be aware that this will change the duration, unlike CROSS-fade.

Or, A/B the clips on different video tracks. Overlap them, and set them to fade in/out concurrently - either via "fade in/fade out" or by adjusting the opacity of each clip.

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Nov 16. 2013 17:57

[Post New]
After reviewing all your comments, I think I may have had a small epiphany. The second video freezes before the true split and the first video freezes after the split for the duration of the timeframe. When I looked closely at the timeline, this may make sense. There is NO video of the second Jeep (second video) prior the split, so is PD using only the first frame as the transition? And same goes for the first, PD may be using only the last frame of the first video for the last half of the transition.

Is this what PD is supposed to do? I wouldn't think so (hence, all my previous questions), but not sure how it was developed.
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: After reviewing all your comments, I think I may have had a small epiphany. The second video freezes before the true split and the first video freezes after the split for the duration of the timeframe.

That's the story. If excess video is available - prior to the FROM clip mark IN point and after the TO clip mark OUT point, some editors may include that excess in the dissolve (cross-fade). Thus, no freeze. Results have been 'iffy.'

It has been a while since I ran that scenario with PD11, but I recall that it didn't make a difference. Video still froze.

Your Jeep footage displays this annoyance convincingly. ^_^ Try the alternatives that have been suggested.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 16. 2013 18:10

ynotfish
[Post New]
Man - I've spent all this time using PD & never stopped to analyse that. Borgus - it is the story with cross type transitions. You could have saved us a lengthy conversation. I'd never noticed it - partly because I typically use no transitions or very short ones.

Matt - in these examples you'll see the same thing with cross transition (and the WMM examples at the end). The bike rider freezes during the transition till she fades out. Your jeep clip certainly did highlight the issue.

http://youtu.be/f7LUsMbQKCM

Cheers - Tony

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Jeff,

Look at video B. The second Jeep, just coming in from fade freezes between the 4 and 5 second mark. It should be moving as the transition begins. I have viewed the video from other computers (including a Mac) and it does the same thing.

No it should not, as I said before, there is NOTHING to overlap, the two video's are butt together. Step through frame by frame as I indicated and you will see. If you want that type of transition, you have to use overlap transitions as you always have a blur overlay effect because the clips are overlapping.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 16. 2013 20:47

[Post New]
Thanks to everyone who chimed in to help with this. I wish it had a different ending, but now I understand why it's doing what it's doing!