Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
High Definition Video Camera Recommendation
John
Newbie Location: Alveston, Bristol, UK Joined: Mar 06, 2008 12:10 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
Hi pjc
The spec of my Laptop is as follows.

Intel Core Duo T2350 1.86 Ghz Processer
Intel 945GM Chipset
2048MB DDR Ram
160GB Hard Drive
Intel GMA 950 Graphics

I also have a 500GB External Hard Drive.

Can you tell me please if this is sufficient to Edit AVCHD Video. I don't have a Blueray Burner yet, but was going to burn to DVD for now. However your comments re PQ are giving me second thoughts. Should I stick with my current Camcorder until I get Blueray Burner?

My current Camcorder is a Sony DCR-HC90E which uses mini DV tape & has a 1/3 CCD.

Your Advice would be most welcome Best regards

John
WilliamI [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 22, 2008 01:05 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
I started editing AVCHD clips on a similar machine (my sons machine) and basically gave up after a couple of days. Playback was so choppy that I couldn't tell what the clip really looked like. Using PD7 was less than satisfying, to say the least and render times where over night.

The problem with using a laptop for AVCHD is that you can't even upgrade the video card to improve playback.

How happy you are depends on your expectations and amount of video you are working with. Intel Core 2 Quad, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Vista 64 bit, ATI Radeon HD 3850, Canon HF100
[Post New]
Unfortunately I agree - you may get a little frustrated working with the AVCHD clips with those specs. HD is not cheap remember though you can burn AVCHD onto standard DVD which will then be read by Blu-Ray players ie if you have a PS3 you should be able to play back the Hi Def.

Check out this post

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/3991.page

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 23. 2008 16:27

James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
pjc,

In your link which you reference you indicate that you upgraded both the video card, CPU, and RAM to improve the playback on AVCHD files. In your initial attempts you first upgraded the video card and experience some improvement, but it was still slow. Here's my question:

Have you ever tried just upgrading the CPU and RAM, but stayed with the integrated graphics? I ask this question because I have a system similar to what you originally used (C2D E7200 at 2.5Ghz, integrated graphics (Intel graphics), and 4 GB of RAM). My current system is fine since I use an old tape camera from about 5 years ago, but at some point I may decide to get a new camera capable of doing AVCHD. I was wondering if just upgrading to a quad core CPU would be acceptable or would I also need the better graphics card. You indicate that your current system only used 20% CPU usage. What would happen if you reverted back to the integrated graphics? Would you still be able to play/edit your video with acceptable frame rates our would it become choppy again.

Thanks,

Jim Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
[Post New]
Quote: pjc,
I was wondering if just upgrading to a quad core CPU would be acceptable or would I also need the better graphics card.

At the moment I believe the GPU rendering does not help AVCHD therefore of if your on board video can display HD video adequately there will be no real benefit of a dedicated video card for AVCHD. It did help for HD MPEG to reduce CPU utilization.
Quote:
What would happen if you reverted back to the integrated graphics? Would you still be able to play/edit your video with acceptable frame rates our would it become choppy again.

The new mainboard I got had no onboard video so I cannot test this. I would say all should be fine.

The reason I went Videocard upgrade first was that it was much cheaper option (initially).

regards
pjc
John
Newbie Location: Alveston, Bristol, UK Joined: Mar 06, 2008 12:10 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
Further to my previous entries, I have been looking at the Sony HDR SR10/SR11/SR12 Camcorders. These I believe can record AVCHD & SD Formats. I could use the SD Format for now until I Upgrade my computer or purchase a more powerful computer to edit in PD7.
I have Downloaded from the Internet, AVCHD clips in both *.m2t & m2ts forms, imported them into PD7 & they play without any problems, I've also converted them to mpeg 2 files without any problems. & in the case of the *.mts into an mpeg 4 mt2s file.
Does this mean that my present computer will handle the AVCHD files from a camera without a need to upgrade? or am I being Naive? Best regards

John
[Post New]
Hi John,
as alluded to earlier myself and William your processor is just under the specs Cyberlink suggest for AVCHD editing. I too went through the process af downloading sample clips etc. Sometimes these clips are not at full bitrate.
Also it is a different story however when you have a whole project with 30 mins of clips you want to edit : things may not be as good then .
I think the Sony's ability to record in mpeg2 is great and I wish Panasonic and Canon also offered this but do not.
But as you say if the AVCHD becomes tedious you can always use mepg2 until you upgrade the computer.
John
[Post New]
Thanks pjc, I suppose the only way to go is either purchase a camera or if possible get one on approval & check it out. Can you advise me please which processor would be OK? bearing in mind I have a Lap Top. also would I need to upgrade anything else?
I really appreciate your input. Best regards

John