Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Using powerdirector 11 for commercial purposes
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
It is my understanding that a codec’s (e.g. .mp4, .mp3, .wmv, H.264, etc.) patent holder, can and may charge one blanket licensing fee to a software or camera manufacturer, for a use that is intended as being for “Private Use Only” purposes. Then there’s another (presumably higher) licensing fee for “Commercial Use” intended purposes.

That is an interesting point, and one I had not considered. It is possible that this is a disclaimer to limit CyberLink liability if a user gets sued by a copyright holder. It would be nice to know. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: According to the CyberLink Products menu pull down the PowerDirector Ultimate Suite is for "Pro and Commercial Video Producer"

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/index_en_US.html?r=1. Click on Products and the first listing under Video Editing.

Seems to me if you want to sell your output buy the Ultimate Suite.

I believe the end user license for this product still states: "for personal and non-commercial use", which is a bit of a contradiction.

This very subject came up not too long ago in the forum.

Wait, wait. "A bit of a contradiction" At what point do we see the Terms of Service? If I go to the sales page, see "professional" (or whatever) and lay down my bucks, then as I install this thing, I see the TOS? Do I get my money back if I want to use the program for commercial purposes?

You have 30 days from the date of purchase to receive a full refund.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 20. 2013 19:36

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Rhonda [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 13, 2012 01:37 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I simply want to make some piano tutorials for my Youtube channel, and monetize the channel. When I wrote to Cyberlink about this, I got an email back that let me know I am not allowed to do this with the software (kind of misleading in their sales, if you ask me)

When you sign up for YouTube monetization (basically having ads run on your videos or channel), YouTube states that they may ask you for the license from your video editing software, and implies you may even have to show permission other than just the license - from the owner of the editing software.

I'm simply doing some basic transitions and layering an image of a line from the song on top of my hands playing the song. All my own artwork and music.

I think CL/PD should have been clearer at the time of purchase, and it sounds as if there is no way around upgrading PD or purchasing a different software.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I simply want to make some piano tutorials for my Youtube channel, and monetize the channel. When I wrote to Cyberlink about this, I got an email back that let me know I am not allowed to do this with the software (kind of misleading in their sales, if you ask me)

When you sign up for YouTube monetization (basically having ads run on your videos or channel), YouTube states that they may ask you for the license from your video editing software, and implies you may even have to show permission other than just the license - from the owner of the editing software.

I'm simply doing some basic transitions and layering an image of a line from the song on top of my hands playing the song. All my own artwork and music.

I think CL/PD should have been clearer at the time of purchase, and it sounds as if there is no way around upgrading PD or purchasing a different software.

The only challenge I have gotten from Youtube is on the music in the video.

You do have to prove to Youtube and the music copyright holders that you have a right to use the music.

In the case of original music you created, you own the copyright.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Rhonda [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 13, 2012 01:37 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
The music isn't a problem, since I record it all myself. But I've been told that the transitions I've used in Cyberlink pretty much nix it for commercial use, because there is no license for commercial use. Both Cyberlink and YouTube have said this.

YouTube is getting more efficient at discovering broken permissions. For example, I paid to have a whiteboard video create for me by someone on Fiverr, and within minutes after posting it to YouTube, the music (standard boring library-type music) was flagged -- and I'm now going back and forth debating that with YouTube.

It would be awful to spend a year of my life creating tutorials only to have them revoked down the line as technology becomes more efficient at discovering copyright infringements.

YouTube claims they may look at the encoded data to see what editing program you've used, and may ask for commercial license and permissions from the editing program that you use.

So basically if you're doing this professionally, it's not worth the risk.

After writing my previous post, I did a little digging and found a program called Movavi - $70 for the business version that grants commercial license, and it claims it is the equivalent of iMovie.

I bought it, and could not believe how much quicker I could make videos, and how much higher the quality of my videos were. The program has already saved me a crazy amount of time and put out better quality videos than I've ever been able to do with PD (has slightly less options, but I can live with that until my business grows bigger).

I am only upset that I wasted 2 years with PD, and feel that they were misleading in there marketing.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: YouTube is getting more efficient at discovering broken permissions. For example, I paid to have a whiteboard video create for me by someone on Fiverr, and within minutes after posting it to YouTube, the music (standard boring library-type music) was flagged -- and I'm now going back and forth debating that with YouTube.

The process is so slow and the power is in the hands of the copyright holder.
I know that I had to challenge the claim twice on one video, The first rejection was a boiler plate reply.
The second challenge got a release.

It would be awful to spend a year of my life creating tutorials only to have them revoked down the line as technology becomes more efficient at discovering copyright infringements.

YouTube claims they may look at the encoded data to see what editing program you've used, and may ask for commercial license and permissions from the editing program that you use.

So basically if you're doing this professionally, it's not worth the risk.

After writing my previous post, I did a little digging and found a program called Movavi - $70 for the business version that grants commercial license, and it claims it is the equivalent of iMovie.

I bought it, and could not believe how much quicker I could make videos, and how much higher the quality of my videos were. The program has already saved me a crazy amount of time and put out better quality videos than I've ever been able to do with PD (has slightly less options, but I can live with that until my business grows bigger).

I am only upset that I wasted 2 years with PD, and feel that they were misleading in there marketing.

I am glad you found a commercial editor.

I like Powerdirector, but I am not using it for professional reasons.

I don't think I have ever seen any claims by Cyberlink that Powerdirector is for commercial use, It is maybe the best of the consumer video editors around. It sure gets good reviews where it is reviewed (PC MAG).

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I have made money with PowerDirector. I will continue to make money with PowerDirector...
and YouTube, the FCC, the FBI and Hollywood can go to H-E-double-hockey sticks.
They'll pry my mouse out of my cold dead fingers. PERIOD.

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
An Saqib [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 05, 2015 05:42 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi everyone,

Cyberlink has a product called 'Director Suit 3/ live' what gives access to use 4 other products (Audio Director, Power Director, Color Director, and Photo Director). I will need to use each of the software to finally output my video. I even need to add music from DirectorZone.com

I am interested to make small videos and upload them on Youtube and adding my adsense account with my channel. If I make money through motenization, does it break the law of Cyberlink.

I dont know it goes with the term 'for non commercial purpose' or not. Because to me, 'for non commercial purposes' means I cant sell the product I bought fromcyberlink to others.

Would you please help me understand? By the way I did not get anything from their Terms and condition section. Its really confusing.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Hi everyone,

Cyberlink has a product called 'Director Suit 3/ live' what gives access to use 4 other products (Audio Director, Power Director, Color Director, and Photo Director). I will need to use each of the software to finally output my video. I even need to add music from DirectorZone.com

I am interested to make small videos and upload them on Youtube and adding my adsense account with my channel. If I make money through motenization, does it break the law of Cyberlink.

I dont know it goes with the term 'for non commercial purpose' or not. Because to me, 'for non commercial purposes' means I cant sell the product I bought fromcyberlink to others.

Would you please help me understand? By the way I did not get anything from their Terms and condition section. Its really confusing.
The Youtube Adsense has nothing to do with the Cyberlink non-Commercial use.

I create Videos in Powerdirector then upload to Youtube, I can monetize with no or little trouble. The only thing you have to be careful about it the music in your video. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

An Saqib [Avatar]
[Post New]
@Carl312

I really appreciate your reply. I was too much confused about the whole matter.

If I can make money from youtube using the videos I produced with PowerDirector then there is no problem for me.

But I still dont know why they wrote 'Its not for commercial use'.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 06. 2015 11:11

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
It has to do with video formats/codecs, which are owned by the companies or groups that develop them.
This will shed some light, or confuse you, or both...
http://www.mpegla.com/main/default.aspx
Happy reading. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
An Saqib [Avatar]
[Post New]

I see...
I think I actually don't need to read it details Yes, Its confusing (I have just tried to have a look at it). My video output formet would be .mov/.mp4

I just wanted to be legal.

If it does not go against the Terms and Conditions of both Youtube and Cyberlink Softwares then I am ready to go.

Thanks a lot again.

@BarryTheCrab