Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Error making movie
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Apr 14, 2011 01:34 Messages: 476 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Julien Pierre.

A slight correction on my part using PD10. I was curious if this works on your system.

I was able to Produce using the MPEG-4 file type using all the default Profile settings. If you select the "+" key you can also create some custom profile that might be more to you liking. By changing the video settings you could achieve a variety of quality settings that you may be happy with. If it works for you that is.

Had you tried that file type? This might be a more flexible work a round until more information is available.

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin.
I don't recall if I tried MPEG-4 or not. I will try it when I get home tonight.

Looks like MPEG-4 works for this clip.
It appears that from a video perspective, all the parameters are the same. The video CODEC is the same.

The difference is mainly in the audio options. H.264 can do lossless and DD with multichannel.
MPEG-4 is AAC stereo only. That should be OK. Thanks, Kevin !

Unfortunately, WMV production still does not work, and this means the built-in publish function for Facebook & Youtube will not work ...
MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 960 4GB
480 GB Patriot Ignite SSD (boot)
2 x 480 GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD (striped)
6 x 1 TB Samsung 860 SSD (striped)

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
Asus PB238 23" HD (portrait)
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Julien Pierre,

Glad the mpeg-4 file type was an option. Yes without the ability to produce in WMV, the integrated Facebook and YouTube up loaders are not an option as you already know. There always is the manual upload. But thats not a solution, more work a rounds

Maybe someone will or can explain why PD11 can produce a WMV file and PD10 can't using your video file. There is apparently something different or missing in PD10. Maybe try technical support for an answer.

Should I tell you to upgrade to PD11? Let me think here....... That'd be my fix despite your observed performance degrading! Problem Solved!! But it's not my money or wallet!!

Kevin

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 14. 2012 06:16

Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Julien Pierre,

Glad the mpeg-4 file type was an option. Yes without the ability to produce in WMV, the integrated Facebook and YouTube up loaders are not an option as you already know. There always is the manual upload. But thats not a solution, more work a rounds

Maybe someone will or can explain why PD11 can produce a WMV file and PD10 can't using your video file. There is apparently something different or missing in PD10. Maybe try technical support for an answer.

Should I tell you to upgrade to PD11? Let me think here....... That'd be my fix despite your observed performance degrading! Problem Solved!! But it's not my money or wallet!!

Kevin

Well, I also bought PD8, and PD9 . PD9 also works with the clips from this camera.
So did previous builds of PD10. It is a recent regression.
I will file a bug with Cyberlink.
Upgrading to PD11 is not an option for me until they fix the performance issue. 25% regression is huge !
MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Well, I also bought PD8, and PD9 . PD9 also works with the clips from this camera.
So did previous builds of PD10. It is a recent regression.
I will file a bug with Cyberlink.
Upgrading to PD11 is not an option for me until they fix the performance issue. 25% regression is huge !

I agree with you. PD10 should work and be fixed. I hear you about the performance issue. Buying PD11 shouldn't be the solution.

The fact that you had previous versions of PD10 that worked with your video file does appear that something changed and or broke with subsequent patch releases. Like you said in your very first post here.

Just so you know I tried two versions of PD10 that didn't work. I tried with the latest version 2231 and then rolled back to 1129b which was released 12/28/2011, and that didn't work either. Thought it might save you some time if you were to attempt rolling back PD10 to an earlier working version. But that in itself is counterproductive because you LOSE other fixes and enhancements in released patches. The latest patch should and probably could be fixed to work with your video file by Cyberlink. It means another patch release. This is all just my opinion of course!!

Do you happen to know which Version Build of PD10 that worked? Knowing this information might help technical support. But technical support probably won't be able to help you, but I could be wrong! It is going to take Cyberlink to intervene and release a fix.

Kevin
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Do you happen to know which Version Build of PD10 that worked? Knowing this information might help technical support. But technical support probably won't be able to help you, but I could be wrong! It is going to take Cyberlink to intervene and release a fix.
Kevin

I uninstalled the current version and reinstalled PD10 from the CD that came in my retail box of PD10 .
That is build 0925 . This one works fine with the attached clip.
MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
Next patch I have is build 1703 .

That one just hungs the first time I tried to produce H264.
Second time after I killed it, it got me the "Error making movie" error.

MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have opened a support case, CS001212135 . Hope Cyberlink will fix it.

MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
Cap'n Kevin
[Post New]
Quote: I have opened a support case, CS001212135 . Hope Cyberlink will fix it.

This will be interesting. I am curious to see what the solution offered by tech support. At least you can provide a long list of Patch versions that DON'T work.

And One version (0925), an earlier released CD build that DOES work. Unfortunately this build is not available to download so I can't confirm it. Sorry!

Be prepared to provide lots of information.

Keep the forum updated with your progress with technical support.

The answer seems pretty obvious!

Good luck!

Kevin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 21. 2012 05:49

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Julien Pierre and all involved -

I'm only chiming in to confirm what you've already found (I think)... that is, if I've understood properly.

The MOV file can be produced to anything I throw at it in PD11. In PD10 it will produce to all MPEG-4 profiles I chose BUT not WMV or AVC H.264 of any profile - no default or custom profile I tested gets anything but "Error Making Movie".

For clarity, I'm using PD 10.0.0.2231.

If it's of any use, the MediaInfo report of Julien Pierre's original MOV file is attached. If someone's already done that & I missed it, just ignore.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
Julien Pierre_Original MOV.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
325 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
So far Cyberlink support asked me for standard info - the product SR number, my dxdiag and a screenshot of the error.

So clearly they haven't tried the clip, even though I pointed them to this from to download it.

I can't send them the screenshot because with the 3 screens it takes 7MB and their support system has a ridiculous 1MB upload file limit !

Anyway, Cyberlink really doesn't need the screenshot. All they need is the clip. Which I also can't send them through their system. I doubt it's possible for my camera to produce any clip that will fits in 1 MB.

I provided both of the files (screenshot and clip) on a google drive and gave them the URL. But I feel like I shouldn't have to do that, and their support system should be able to handle it.

I hope they will acknowledge the bug and fix it. It really doesn't get much simpler to reproduce.
MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Did you try the upload even though they claim a 1 MB limit?

The worst thing that can happen is the upload is refused.
It just might work.

The forum used to have a 1 MB attachment limit, that is no more.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
Carl, yes I tried to send larger files, but the support server just timed out. It really won't take larger than 1MB uploads.
MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Carl, yes I tried to send larger files, but the support server just timed out. It really won't take larger than 1MB uploads.

Bummer!

What you can do is put the large files on a free file server somewhere and put the link to the files in your post to Cyberlink.
I do not know of one. But you can find them by searching. Search for "Free File Server" without quotes.

I found this list:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/top-free-file-hosts/
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I believe on youtube there is an option (forget where) to upload larger files, but you have to submit a valid cell phone telephone number and varify through the phone?) I know I have upload almost full DVd that way. You have to be on YouTube not though PD.
Jim

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 23. 2012 21:26

Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,
I believe on youtube there is an option (forget where) to upload larger files, but you have to submit a valid cell phone telephone number and varify through the phone?) I know I have upload almost full DVd that way. You have to be on YouTube not though PD.
Jim

Youtube can handle very large files > 15 minutes.

But Youtube renders every file with their own codec. What is displayed is not the original file.

For testing purpose, you need the original file.

Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
Carl,

Quote:
Quote: Carl, yes I tried to send larger files, but the support server just timed out. It really won't take larger than 1MB uploads.

Bummer!

What you can do is put the large files on a free file server somewhere and put the link to the files in your post to Cyberlink.
I do not know of one. But you can find them by searching. Search for "Free File Server" without quotes.

I found this list:

I'm aware there are many options. I just put my files on a google drive and shared the files.
I don't know if Cyberlink picked them up as google drive does not have any logging.

My comment was merely about the support procedures at Cyberlink. Surely I'm not the first one to need to send them a file >1MB.
MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Carl,

Quote:

Bummer!

I found this list:

I'm aware there are many options. I just put my files on a google drive and shared the files.
I don't know if Cyberlink picked them up as google drive does not have any logging.

My comment was merely about the support procedures at Cyberlink. Surely I'm not the first one to need to send them a file >1MB.

The last time I remember that Cyberlink wanted a file from me, they send a link to a FTP location.

Cyberlink has a procedure for sending large files.
Cyberlink will give you a link to a place to send the files.

Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
The last time I remember that Cyberlink wanted a file from me, they send a link to a FTP location.

Cyberlink has a procedure for sending large files.
Cyberlink will give you a link to a place to send the files.

Thanks, Carl. Cyberlink finally got around to asking me about the files and provided an FTP location. I just uploaded the files.
MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K
Julien Pierre [Avatar]
[Post New]
So far, Cyberlink support has said they have failed to reproduce the problem. This seems hard to believe given how many on this forum have reproduced it. I gave them the exact same file and clear instructions. They said they are passing this to their R&D department.

In the meantime, support recommended I use the PowerDirector 11 trial. I already tried it, and it did not have this particular problem, but it has now expired. And I had other issues with it, so I am not looking to upgrade right now. I only purchased PD 10.0 last July to begin with. And who knows if the same thing willl happen with PD11 again - Cyberlink breaking my camera in a patch update ?
MSI X99A Raider
Intel i7-5820k @ 4.4 GHz
32GB DDR4 RAM

2 x LG 32UD59-B 32" 4K