Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problem importing very short video file
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Fred/Carl -

I'm not disagreeing. It wouldn't be a problem for me either. I guess it's a little bit academic.

The short (< 1sec) file works in PD8 & 9, but not in PD10 & 11. There has to be a reason for that.

Anyway - it's been referred upstairs.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
[Post New]
At 1sec, the video contains 24 or so frames? Why even bother to look at it (to fix). I think I would rather have the programmers focused on issues of importance..ok, put it on the list...but WAY DOWN at the bottom, please!!!
HPG [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 06, 2012 22:45 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Well, it turns out that it's not a bug, it's a feature I've had the following reply from the support people:

"I escalated your issue and they confirmed that this is limitation in PowerDirector 11. PowerDirector 11 supports to import clips > 1 sec."

No explanation or excuse was provided; they've just decided to reduce functionality. That's progress, folks.
HPG [Avatar]
[Post New]
By the way -- I don't disagree with the comments above about this being a pretty minor issue. It's just that it strikes me as a pity that one can't use clips that were perhaps shot accidentally but which one might, under some circumstances, want to use.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
As a point of curiosity:
I took the 20090809120242.m2ts Video I downloaded, tried it in Powerdirector 9 Ultra. It works.
I tried it in Power Director 11 Ultimate, it does not import, I get a media error message.

Then I took that 20090809120242.m2ts video into Powerdirector 9 Ultra, and produced it to AVCHD 1920x1080 regular profile.
I then imported that produced video from Powerdirector 9 Ultra into Powerdirector 11 Ultimate. It does work fine.

Something in the original 20090809120242.m2ts video Powerdirector 11 does not like. It is not that Powerdirector can not import a video that short, it is something is not correct in that video.

Attached the produced video from Powerdirector 9 Ultra.
Also the MediaInfo from the video produced in Powerdirector 11 from the above video.

I notice that the produced video from PD11 is several milliseconds shorter.
But it does Play.

Filename
PD11 short Video_produce.m2ts.txt
[Disk]
 Description
MediaInfo of the produced video from PD11
 Filesize
4 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
277 time(s)
 Filename
Produce.m2ts
[Disk]
 Description
Produced in PD 9 Ultra from 20090809120242.m2ts
 Filesize
2137 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
352 time(s)
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

HPG [Avatar]
[Post New]
Interesting. The original is from a Sony HDR-XR520, so as you suggest, maybe there's something odd that Sony does to the file that PD11 chokes on.
georgemon [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Glasgow, Scotland Joined: Dec 29, 2011 20:20 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
Same problem with my Sony camera - knew it had to do with short clips but not that they were under 1 second. Camera is a Sony HXR-NX5N. Was not trying to use the files as such - only opening each file in turn and got this error.

It is the same with my Canon 1D - short files simply produce an error message that the file could be corrupt etc.

Noting less than 1 sec, guess that is progress then. Thanks, George
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
After I posted the results, I decided to try a file converter to see if that would work.

I tried converting using Format Factory and Cyberlink MediaEspresso.
Neither one would produce a file that any of my Powerdirectors would open.

Even conversion in anything except the original video that opens in PD 9 Ultra and the produced video from PD 9 would not work.
Each time I get the error message.

I guess you must shoot a longer video no matter what, I assume that you can trim or Split the video once you have it into Powerdirector.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.