Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Magic Motion - Pan and Zoom generates poor video
D.Vertz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 03, 2011 14:48 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
Tony,

What a nice comparison. At least in your samples you can tell you were looking at building or mountains. My project doesn't do anything close to that. I must be doing something terribly wrong. I had even tried it multiple times with using both the PIP and the Motion Magic. With PIP I couldn't find a way to start at one side of the image and move to the other side. It always wanted to start (or end) in the middle.

Is there any chance I could get you to spend the time and give me step by step on how to get the results you got.

Just so you can see whats happening to mine, I have attached a screen shot with an image viewer over PD10 so you can see what the image is compared to the image in PD.
[Thumb - PD10.JPG]
 Filename
PD10.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
PD10 using image
 Filesize
120 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
181 time(s)
In the process of installing on Win 8.1 ....
PowerDirector Deluxe 11.0.0.2812 (32bit installed, 64 bit not compatible with XP x64)
CD/DVD: D: TSSTcorpCDDVDW SH-S223L
HDD: C: 298.1GB | E: 1863.0GB | F: 1863.0GB
Free: C: 283.8GB | E: 868.5GB | F: 868.2GB
RAM: 8
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Oh dear - that's terrible! Well - you already knew that.

The resolution of the original image is 27648x1886. What was found in earlier testing was the the greater the resolution, the greater the degradation.

Members would be happy to help guide you with this, including me.

For a start, here's how to set the panorama for a pan without any zoom - http://youtu.be/5n-kJQ6e5BE - at about 1:30

I'm not sure what steps you've followed that you suspect might be causing the issue... but you definitely shouldn't be getting results like that.

One thing to try (just for comparison)... take you original stitched image & cut it in half horizontally - so it becomes 13824x1886 or thereabout. Try repeating the procedure with the smaller image.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
D.Vertz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony,
I decided to make an attempt while I was waiting for your reply. I thought maybe the lossy JPG could have something to do with the result. So I saved the image as a BMP. It didn't improve.

When I got your reply, I first attempted reducing the image by half. I couldn't figure out what you meant by horizontally half. I wouldn't want to squish my image. So, I reduced it by half maintaining my aspect ratio. That did not improve it.

So I tried reducing it to 1/4. Now at 6912x472. Again it does not improve it.

I have noticed that the qualitay appears to be fine when viewed from the Library. It changes as soon as it is inserted on the timeline. I insert it by drag & drop.

I began to think maybe it was something set for the project settings. Maybe the project was set to be a lower quality and is causing the image to get reduced when placed into the project. But when I clicked on project settings, there's nothing there for those type of settings.

I then attempted to drag & drop on the story board, just for fun. Still comes in at a poor quality.

Could it be something to do with the system?

I had an Intel Motherbaord, processor (dual core) and 4GB ram before I went on vacation two weeks ago. PowerDirector has been loaded for some time now (pre-vacation). When I came home the systm wouldn't boot, so I replace everything but the power pack (turns out that is what was bad). Anyway, the new hardware is AMD 3.3Ghz 6 core, Gigabyte MB, 8GB ram. The OS (Windows XP x64) was not re-installed nor has PD10 been re-installed.

Thanks. In the process of installing on Win 8.1 ....
PowerDirector Deluxe 11.0.0.2812 (32bit installed, 64 bit not compatible with XP x64)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi D.Vertz -

No - I just meant cut it in half and only use one half.

Decreasing resolution will only make it worse. I don't think the issue is with your PC.

I'm in the middle of doing some screen captures for you. Would it be possible to upload your image to a file sharing site - it's probably to big (= slow) to attach here.

Cheers - Tony
D.Vertz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony,

Oh, I will try that also. But something tells me thats not going to work either.

I downloaded the PD11 Trial and I am getting the same results from that. I also downloaded Visual Studio to try that. VS degrades the quality but it is not as bad.

I am currently uploading the file to a filesharing site. It says it will be about 45 minutes for the upload. In the process of installing on Win 8.1 ....
ynotfish
[Post New]
I just produced a panoramic pan in Magic Motion & PiP Designer using a 23 538 x 2253 jpg and got acceptable results in PD10. The screen capture & results are on their way to YouTube.

Thanks for uploading your image - I'll try it out. I'll post the link if you do!

Cheers - Tony
D.Vertz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony,

I am not sure about how links are posted on the forums. Some forums do not allow them at all. I hope this works.

You should be able to grab it from here until Dec 2. At least as I understnad how the site works. Let me know if there are problems.
https://www.yousendit.com/download/WUJiK0dqQ0M1aVlUWThUQw

Thanks.
In the process of installing on Win 8.1 ....
ynotfish
[Post New]
Thank you -

Here is the quick toot on setting up panoramas in PiP Designer & Magic Motion... http://youtu.be/AiOaZGIDwkM

The screen captures were done in PD10 so you'l be right at home. PD11 is easier to work in, but the output for panoramas is about the same.

Cheers - Tony
D.Vertz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony,
Thank you for the video. It tells me I am not doing anything wrong because you have done it exactly the same way as I have. My problem still exists, and it happens when the image is dragged & dropped into the time line.

I found software that would cut apart the panoramic image. I cut it into 6 tiles. I then placed them into the library. When they are placed onto the timeline, they are of good quality. This I do not understand. You have a very wide image and it works. But anything wide for me, does not.

Also, I can not seem to figure out a way to seamlessly pan from one image to the next. if I butt them together, I get a black transition period between the end of one and the begining of the next. In the process of installing on Win 8.1 ....
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi D.Vertz -

I tested your image in Magic Motion & PiP Designer & got similar results to you. As you said, you weren't doing anything wrong.

It turns out that the image is the problem, not the video maker... & I should say what happens to the image in PD. It was shot in low light (obviously) so it lacks a bit of clarity & sharpness to begin with.

In PD (or any video editor) that image is going to be up against it. The process of editing the video... which is effectively zooming in to a small portion of the screen makes it difficult to keep the image clean.

When I cut the photo in half & used only one side, the results were much better.

I would have a go at putting your original in a photo editor & giving it a tweak to sharpen it up. I just did that in PhotoDirector & it certainly improved the clarity in panoramic motion.

Cheers - Tony
[Thumb - D.Vertz.jpg]
 Filename
D.Vertz.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
234 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
409 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 25. 2012 21:23

James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Here is my take. Used another program to create a movie from the image posted.

Jim
 Filename
Lightswalk.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
Panorama Walk
 Filesize
32537 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
239 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Nov 26. 2012 13:50

Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!