Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Trial Ver, Do I need video card? Cannot render to mp4 or select Hardware Video Encoder
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
Branislav 2 - That is saying that your graphics card must support h.264 for PowerDirector to import or export in that format. However, if your graphics card does not support h.264, but you have Windows 7 installed, you can export videos to h.264 in standard definition, but not high definition. Does that clear it up?

Quick question. Do I uninstall the trial version before installing my purchased version? Or do I just install it over the top of the trial?

It is generally considered to be better to uninstall the trial version first. Either way should work. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
[Post New]
From what I understand there doesn't seem to be a lot of discernible difference between the viewing formats of h.264 and Mp4. Why would one prefer one format over the other?
I am looking for an appropriate graphics card. Until then I should be able to get by without it as all I really need is HD MP4 format for DVD creation of my personal movies.

So far this thread has been very helpful and my thanks to all who have contributed. Use your computer to cure Cancer and Aids http://wcgrid.org
Michael8511
Contributor Location: U.S.A. Indiana Joined: Jan 14, 2012 16:12 Messages: 374 Offline
[Post New]
Bob is the integrated graphics on that motherboard a Intel HD? I was look at the Asus site and it realy does not say.

The laptop I play with with the i5 has Intel HD integrated graphics and it imports mp4 h.264. Intel i7 5960X overclock to 4 Ghz 16 GB of ram.
GoPro 4
Canon VIXIA HF G10
Canon EOS Rebel T3
Canon EOS 70D
My Vimeo Channel http://vimeo.com/user3339631/videos
Branislav 2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 21, 2010 15:46 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Branislav 2 - That is saying that your graphics card must support h.264 for PowerDirector to import or export in that format. However, if your graphics card does not support h.264, but you have Windows 7 installed, you can export videos to h.264 in standard definition, but not high definition. Does that clear it up?

Thanks, Jaime! Yes, it's clear, you practically confirm my words.

About MY problem (why PD 8 works with hardware encoding, but PD 10 not?), Cap'n Kevin gave me a hint - to take a newer (but not 12.1 - see http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/21636.page) ATI driver. I'll try and report here.

------------- (Few hours later)

Nothing helps! Tried Catalyst 11.9 (+AVIVO 11.9), then tried even Catalyst 12.1 (+AVIVO 12.1). Without success. PowerDirector 10 TRIAL version doesn't see hardware acceleration for H.264. (Note: At the same time, hardware acceleration for MPEG-2 is OK.)

System: Vista 64 bits, ATI HD 5850 (with PowerDirector 8 everything work).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 15. 2012 16:32

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
I have tested ATI version 12.2 and HA worked for me in all cases. I use an HD Radeon 5770 so it probably will work for you. I think the problem is most likely that it just must be a trial version limitation. It is impossible for me to test though. But I wouldn't really be too concerned though. Just my opinion. CPU rendering works great and that is what many members use from what I understand.

If it isnt a trial limitation then I don't know what the problem is.

Best
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.