Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
MOV Video clips from Canon are a problem
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
I have been running PD in this state for a couple of weeks now while waiting for their resolution. The other day they said they could not reproduce my problem. In a day you helped me figure it out. I was about to go look for another product as this one was wearing me out.

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
You may be able to run PD without it showing in the Control Panel after the use of CLCleaner, it does not remove the program.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Hmm - you used the CLCleaner & PD is still there??? You're still using it, after it's been removed??? Now I'm confused.

It is my understanding that CLCleaner does not remove anything.
It does clean the registry of the Cyberlink entries. Therefore allowing you to re-install Cyberlink software. That would explain the lost of the entry in the add/remove programs.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
You are correct Carl. Thank you Tony for adjusting your post.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15/19196.page#100558

Cleaner tools (PD only) were given to beta testers (by me) to check out and later I provided the thread on the 30th January 2011 with cleaner tools to download. The information has been readily available for quite a while.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15688.page

Edited url's

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 29. 2011 11:17

Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Phoenix Joined: Mar 13, 2011 11:35 Messages: 211 Offline
[Post New]
(I'm back from my trip - came back with 7000 photos of SW Colorado Aspen color and snow scenes at 10,000 feet, ready to make more PD DVD shows.)

I did indeed install PD 9 after the cleaner and it worked as you said it would. Thanks.

Then I was alerted to PD 10. I upgraded immediately and am enjoying the new features. The problem I had in the past with minutes of PD freeze after stopping the recording of voice-over may have been solved with this new version as the delay is up to only about 10 seconds. The real test is when I narrate my next completed DVD show.

As I delved into my next DVD yesterday, I was surprised to note that I have problems with .MOV files again. Those from my Canon camera are 4:3 aspect ratio. I had always changed them to 16:9 and the CLPV format to look much like the 16:9 stills from my camera.

BUT . . . PD now freezes when trying to adjust the aspect like I did before. I have to get out of PD via Task Manager and start all over again - all of the options do the same thing, freezing as I click on any option button. It's always worked great before Now the only way I can adjust the width of the .MOV is by double-clicking it and manually stretching the 4:3 to 16:9.

Is this a bug in the new version, or another interaction only in my PC? (Your suggestion to disable Hardware Acceleration for my PD 9 troubles with .MOV worked great. Now what do I do this time?)

Bill Bill Seifert
HP Pavilion Desktop TP01-2022
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bill,

The aspect ratio bug in PD10 has been found by a few of us, lets hope Cyberlink fixes it with a patch. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Phoenix Joined: Mar 13, 2011 11:35 Messages: 211 Offline
[Post New]
Robert,

Here is my first step from Tech Support to find the problem. I don't think we are close to seeing a patch to fix this problem, or they are not telling me: (I'm past their virtual memory step - nothing helped so far - and hope to gradually do the remainder over the next few days.)

Bill

I understand that you are using CyberLink PowerDirector 10 and Ultra and that you are experiencing issues while changing the aspect ration for your .mov video files.

In regards to your issue, I would request you to please try following the instructions given below to resolve your issue.

1. In order to avoid most of the compatibility issues, please close all other software and utility applications including virus scans, screen saver and instant messaging software when you use PowerDirector.

2. Update your VGA card driver from the web site of card manufacturer. Also change the display resolution(1024*76 and color depth(32bit).

3. Please update Direct X to latest version.

4. Please ensure that VGA, sound and capture has latest WDM driver.

5. Increase Virtual memory :

a. Right click on "My Computer"
b. Select Properties -> Advance
c. Click on "settings" under Performance.
d. Select "Advance"
e. Click on "change" under Virtual memory.
f. Select "Custom" and enter initial value as "1.5X(where X= Your actual Ram size)" and Max value as "3X(where X= Your actual Ram size)".

NOTE: If your existing settings are higher than recommended then leave them as before.

6. Start Windows in Selective Startup mode.

a. Click on Start.
b. Click on Run.
c. Type msconfig and click on OK.
d. A System Configuration Utility window will come up.
e. On General tab, select Selective Startup.
f. Uncheck "Load Startup Items".
g. Click on Apply.
h. Click on OK.
i. Click on Close.
j. It will ask you to restart your computer. Click on "Restart".

Also, I would suggest you to please try selecting file format other than .mov and see if you get the option to change the aspect ration now. If the issue persist, please provide us the following information so that I may better assist you.

1. Serial number of the PowerDirector software that you are using. SR should be like "SR_No=XXXXXX_XX".

Please follow the link given below to know how to find the serial number:

http://www.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/faq-content.do?id=2615

2. Take the screenshot of the page where you right-click on the video to change its aspect ration. To take screenshot, please follow the steps given below :

a. Press the Print Screen key on your keyboard when the error appears on your screen.
b. Click on Start -> Programs-> Accessories-> Paint.
c. Paste the screen capture there by pressing Ctrl+V
d. Save the file with the extension name .jpg and then send to CyberLink Support for analysis.

3. DxDiag.txt: You can use the steps that follow to create this file:

Start --> Search --> Run --> dxdiag --> Save All Information --> a DxDiag.txt file created.

Please revert using the following reference:

>>https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/support-login.jsp<<

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink products.
Bill Seifert
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Seriously these types of tech support replies make me angry. When 3 or 4 of us on this board all have the same problem with the aspect ratio dialogue box I am 99% sure it is a bug in the program, especially when in my case it works perfectly fine in PD9 on the same machine.

My advice Bill to save yourself needless frustration, there is a work around to stretch 4:3 aspect ratio to 16:9 using the pip designer. Make your project to 16:9 drop your 4:3 aspect ratio video onto the time line, double click the video clip, un-check "Maintain aspect ratio" and stretch the sides of the video out to 16:9.

If you have a different problem with the aspect ratio, post your question here and we will see if we can come up with a solution till they bring out the patch. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, I already determined that your work-around works before posting this the first time.

But I have dozens of video clips and got spoiled with the "apply to all clips" option once I do it for one. My photo shows already are laborious with all the custom pan, zoom, and transitions with zooms through successive closer shots of items of interest in stitched photos made up of dozens of photos. It takes me two weeks full time to finish one day of a travelog over 30 minutes long each. I have 5- 10 DVDs per trip and show them all at a lot of senior centers.

I rely on efficient software. I LOVE PowerDirector (I've used about 6 other products and have good reason to say so), but I tire of steps forward, offset by several steps backward.

I've been through several go-arounds with tech support and they always make me work through all the things I've already done. But with this new version, I have to make sure before I press them further.

Bill Bill Seifert
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Bill -

I've noticed the topic has switched from .MOV clips to still images. Have I missed reading something somewhere? It wouldn't surprise me at all!

You'd have heard it before, but I have no trouble with PD9 doing all the things that are giving you grief - i.e. setting aspect ratio & applying to all images & clips and editing .MOV clips imported directly from your Canon SX10IS (without the MPEG-2 workaround). My stills camera is a Canon D500, which shoots HD video (.MOV).

Stills - I know this shouldn't be necessary, but have you considered (just until CL & PD get a stable thing happening with ALL combinations of cameras & PCs), cropping your images in software outside PD. I use a piece of software called "Image Cropper", which does a great job of preparing images prior to import. It crops, rather than stretches. I can process a large batch of files in not much time. Photo Now does this too, but I find it more cumbersome.

Might be worth considering.

Cheers - Tony
Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
[Post New]
No, I'm still talking video clips - .mov from my Canon camera and parts of clips from a camcorder provided to me on a DVD. I had one of each only in a test project where PD freezes after opening up the aspect ratio window for either one. When I click on any of the buttons, PD freezes - no error message - and it's time to use task manager or the "PD has stopped responding" route.

As much as I know, nothing has been changed on my PC since upgrading to PD 10. This feature worked beautifully in PD 9 with the same clips. I do use up to 80% stills with the clips in any project.

Bill Bill Seifert
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

ynotfish
[Post New]
Sorry Bill - a bit of a senior moment there!
Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
[Post New]
As a followup, have you determined if Hardware Acceleration (two check marks in the preferences) works in PD 10? I'm not willing to try it for fear of upsetting the applecart as I have so many projects I want to finish over the months to come.

I won't try it unless you have strong feelings about using it again. I thought I had the AMD processor that could benefit from it.

Bill Bill Seifert
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM