Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can't seem to enable Intel Quick Sync to speed up video effect preview/render
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

PowerDirector 9 starts to support Intel Quick Sync from v2504 patch.

If user using sandy bridge platform, but find cannot enable hardware acceleration in Preference, it often due to the driver is not installed properly. User can check "About" page to see if there's intel's logo, if yes, then it means that intel driver installed properly so that PDR can
recognize it.

For Intel Quick Sync issue, currently CL finds that some users can't enable hardware acceleration while update Intel HD Graphics driver later than 15.21.13.64.2342. For example, install driver 15.22.1.2361, result is, one can not enable HA.

The answer appears to be to install the driver ...2342 properly and test that it has by looking at the "About" popup window. Any later Intel driver doesn't work... for the moment.

SteveB123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 19, 2011 04:04 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for elevating the enquiry, Dafydd.
The answer explains why I cannot enable quicksync - I have a very recent Intel driver. It is a full final release and all diagnostics report it working properly.
If I load old graphics drivers this will cause other issues with my system.
I presume (hope?) that Cyberlink intend to resolve this compatibility issue in a future update patch ;

- Steve
SteveB123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
For the record, I did receive a quick response from Cyberlink to my support ticket on this problem.
They recommend the earlier Intel driver (as previously discussed).
I thanked them but mentioned that this work-around can cause other issues unrelated to Cyberlink.
The root cause of the problem ultimately needs to be addressed by an update to Powerdirector, because as time goes on, more and more people will encounter the bug.
Cyberlink responded a second time asking about problems related to the older Intel driver, which I feel is beyond their scope so I have closed the ticket for now.
I do hope that someone at Cyberlink appreciates the need to actually update Powerdirector.

- Steve
Vewehr [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 01, 2011 02:51 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I'd like to add here my experience to make it more confusing. I was able to activate/deactivate Quick Sync in Preferences when I was using 8.15.10.2342 Intel HD graphics driver but I was unable to activate Hardware video encoder in production preferences. It was grayed out. And I was unable to produce H.264 movies because of encoder missing. But Hardware video encoder is available after update of the driver to 8.15.10.2372 but I cannot change Quick Sync settings in Preferences. It is checked but grayed out and cannot be changed and in doesn't mention Quick Sync only but CUDA and AMD APP. It is actually the same menu BerndWelte uploaded 19/07/2011 but in English . So I can activate/deactivate Quick Sync but cannot activate Hardware video encoder during production or I can enable Hardware video encoder but cannot activate/deactivate Quick Sync. Seems confusing to me...
Vewehr [Avatar]
[Post New]
My Windows 7 64-bit were unable to load (BSOD during animated logo) today so I had to restore my last working configuration. HD Graphic driver 8.15.10.2372 was only software missing so it probably crashed my PC. I use .2342 again and I can enable/disable Quick Sync but I cannot enable hardware video encoder during production setup . Does your PD9 installations behave same or is it my specific "feature"?
 Filename
Vewehr-DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
28 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
382 time(s)
 Filename
Vewehr-64DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
34 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
400 time(s)
SteveB123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: My Windows 7 64-bit were unable to load (BSOD during animated logo) today so I had to restore my last working configuration. HD Graphic driver 8.15.10.2372 was only software missing so it probably crashed my PC. I use .2342 again and I can enable/disable Quick Sync but I cannot enable hardware video encoder during production setup . Does your PD9 installations behave same or is it my specific "feature"?

Hi Vewehr,

I can enable "hardware decoding" in preferences, but I cannot enable "Quick Sync".
I can also enable "hardware video encoder" during production of MPEG4.

I'm reluctant to load the older Intel HD graphics drivers, because I know that this can create other problems (unrelated to Cyberlink), and as the the moment I have the system working very stable, I don't want to break it!

I'm really hoping that Cyberlink will fix this issue in a future update.
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I have the Asus P8T (?) with Intel i7 2600 3.4GH processor and a geforce 560ti graphic accelator on my mchine, and have no problems. My reading this post it seems to me that the sync function is being used for the wrong purpose, I think you should be using 'Intel Rapid storage technology' not the sync...sync (to me is for use with Iphone,ipads etc.)
JIm

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 03. 2011 23:11

Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Vewehr [Avatar]
[Post New]
You use your GTX for hardware acceleration of PD9 (you should have CUDA logo in About screen in help menu). "Sync feature" we discuss is not data synchronization but Intel Quick Sync Video technology of Sandy Bridge CPUs, which should improve graphic encoding power of our CPUs but you have to connect your monitor to mainboard video connector (H67/Z68 only).
[Post New]
I was having the same issue with PowerDirector 9 Ultra64 and contacted Tech support, they were really helpful and guided me well for resolving my issue in just maximum two goes.

When I put my first concern that I am not able to enable my Intel Quick Sync video, they provided me the information for which devices are actually eligible or compatible with this feature. Below is the information they provided:

1. CPU: 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 3000/2000 (Intel Sandy Bridge) http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/processors/index.htm
2. Mother board: Intel® H67(B3) Express Chipset
3. When using Intel Quick Sync video, user can't use external/standalone graphic card (Some of the Motherboards has the function to switch between embeded Intel graphic card or external graphic card)
4. Software supports Intel Quick Sync Video Technology (Like PDR, MediaEspresso) 5. Windows XP itself doesn't support Hardware Decode. (AMD Stream/NVDIA CUDA/Intel Quick Sync).

This information helped me and tech support alot to clarify the details and moving on further as my system was eligible and meets the requirement. They have also asked for the DxDiag info and when I sent them, they tested it and found that I am having this issue because of the latest drivers of Intel that I put i.e. 15.22.1.2361 (8.15.10.2361).

They suggested me to download the driver's version 15.21.13.64.2342 (8.15.10.2342) released on 3/29/2011.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19981&lang=eng

This resolved my issue and I am not having any more problem with it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 04. 2011 04:41

Vewehr [Avatar]
[Post New]
That's right - you have to use Mainboard that is able to use integrated graphics (H67/Z6 and use IGP as video hardware. But you have to use OLD drivers and when I use them, I can activate Quick Sync in PD9 but cannot activate hardware video encoder during production! IMHO, Quick Sync and PD9 are not mature enough to benefit from it. I switched back to my GTX460 only (using CUDA) for decoding and editing and disable it for encoding (probably not necessary, but i7-2600 is powerful enough and I've found severel CUDA related quality issues mentioned). When Quick Sync/PD9 situation settles down, I'll probably use CUDA (my normal config) for decoding/editing and switch manually (cable + BIOS) to IGP+QS for encoding. Or will I use QS for editing too? It depends on benefits of QS for decoding/editing..
SteveB123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Has anyone managed to make Quick Sync work with the recently-released HD graphics drivers from Intel, version 15.22.50.64.2509 (8.15.10.2509) ?

Dafydd - I wonder if you have heard any updates on this subject? The only fix I am aware of is to load a specific old version of the Intel HD drivers. Clearly, this isn't a very satisfactory solution.

- Steve
java2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 13, 2011 06:06 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I'm using sandy bridge + intel 2500K but Hardware acceleration shows Enable AMD technology, it's strange !
[Thumb - ScreenHunter_01 2011-09-13 20.24.jpg]
 Filename
ScreenHunter_01 2011-09-13 20.24.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
12 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
439 time(s)
SteveB123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just checked, Quick Sync unfortunately still not working with latest Intel HD Graphics drivers 15.22.50.64.2509 (8.15.10.2509)
- Steve
SteveB123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
UPDATE : Recent GM6 patch seems to fix this bug for me
I'm using very latest Intel HD graphics drivers as described above.

- Steve
acuvic [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 27, 2011 14:11 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: UPDATE : Recent GM6 patch seems to fix this bug for me
I'm using very latest Intel HD graphics drivers as described above.

- Steve

Yes, this GM6 patch works for me too . On "Produce" tab it works (it is automatically selected under "fast video rendering technology") on the following formats: Mpeg2, H.264 AVC and Mpeg4.
Link for patch: http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_GB.html

[Post New]
Quote: You use your GTX for hardware acceleration of PD9 (you should have CUDA logo in About screen in help menu). "Sync feature" we discuss is not data synchronization but Intel Quick Sync Video technology of Sandy Bridge CPUs, which should improve graphic encoding power of our CPUs but you have to connect your monitor to mainboard video connector (H67/Z68 only).

Are you sure about what I bolded in your email ???
I can see that many people here say the same but this is not true.
Monitor should be connected to the DISCRETE graphic card.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 07. 2012 09:32