Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD9 Preferences Import and Export Folder?
rcalzadilla [Avatar]
Member Location: South Florida Joined: Apr 13, 2011 18:55 Messages: 107 Offline
[Post New]
I try to remember, every time I start a project, to File>Save Project As....since the PD9 User Guide advises to.
Then beyond that, I click the little floppy icon every time I remember as I go.
Now I know that my project is also being Auto Save(d) every 3-4 min.

The File>Recent Files is a fantastic answer for me.

Thank you, thank you all! EVGA (132-BL-E758-TR) X58 ATX
Intel i7 920 Quad Core
Win 7 Prof, 64 bit
NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 285, 1GB
12GB SDRAM DDR3 1600.
Canon Vixia HF S21 (AVCHD)
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
It's still a good idea to save projects multiple times, that way you can roll back to an earlier version without hunting thru the autosave files.
EXAMPLE:
Bowling night 1
Bowling night 2
Bowling...you get it.
It's best to reduce the autosave from default of every 10 minutes (setting is found in your PREFERENCES and also employ the multi-save-naming method.
Doing both will almost surely pay off at some point.
But...we've sort of veered off-course a bit.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 16. 2011 17:29

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
rcalzadilla [Avatar]
[Post New]
Barry,
Do I understand correctly that I should File>Save Project As... "Bowling Nite 1"
then in ten minutes ----I again---------File>Save Project As..."Bowling Nite 2" ?

How do you find the Auto Save(d) files later? I can't find it.

thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 16. 2011 18:03

EVGA (132-BL-E758-TR) X58 ATX
Intel i7 920 Quad Core
Win 7 Prof, 64 bit
12GB SDRAM DDR3 1600.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, I never finish a project without having got up to 7 or 8, sometimes 15 or 20.
But these are your normal "desktop" saves.
The autosaves are in a hidden file. You must enable folder view in Windows to get to them. Then they'll be in your app data, or whatever path is seen to be in your Preferences.
For me it's...
C:\Users\Barry\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\9.0\AutoSave\. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
rcalzadilla [Avatar]
[Post New]
Barry, do you make these saves show up on your desktop?
tks
raul

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 17. 2011 09:23

EVGA (132-BL-E758-TR) X58 ATX
Intel i7 920 Quad Core
Win 7 Prof, 64 bit
12GB SDRAM DDR3 1600.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
I tend to keep my projects' PDS files on my desktop, I click on the PDS I want to open, rather than open PowerDirector, then open my PDS from within the program. You can keep them anywhere, though, but they call it a DESKTOP for a reason, it's handy, for me, anyway. By-the-way, you don't have to save a new version manually every 10 minutes, I do mostly when I am about to make a major change, you do what you want.
Don't confuse them, though, with the autosaves, they are automatically generated in your hidden app folders (default), to access them in the event of a horrific PDS script error, in which case you can choose between a PDS version you saved manually (remember Bowling 1-2-3?), or find an autosave that might be more recent.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 17. 2011 10:37

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]

Hi guys,

Must say this is a thread where I admire your perseverance on the matter !
It's interesting how we have different workflows, how we prefer working/editing.
Barry saves as many as up to 20 "editions". I've been told by a member here
he can save as many as up to 100 - for 1 project.
I guess I save a few.
Some work on large projects.
My workflow has changed quite a bit over the years. Now I most often work on
parts of a project - which I then render, to have it really "saved" so to speak.
Later I bring the rendered parts together.

I think PD has been initializing that workflow, due to the many different "experiences"
of/with the program. I almost never work on more than 1-2 projects at a time.
When a video is finished, my habit is to delete as much as possible of the space/folders
used by it. To me, it's a bit like clothes or nails or bits of woodpanels; I save it because
I think I might use it, only 5 years later to find it unused, taking up space.
In other words; 1- 2 importfolder(s), 1 exportfolder (rendered parts), autosave (save as)
-> delete when done.

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
As Barry points out. Your saves and auto saves are two different types of save. I have my auto save folder located where I want it and it is easy to get to. IE: D:\Cyberlink stuff\autosave folder. I have my default auto save set at 2 minutes. It only save the project pds file (just a few kb in size) just it does when you do a regular save.

I keep my default PD directory on my desktop too.

So then if PD crashes, stall, or like here power bumps all the time, all you have to do is go into the folder and double click the newest entry (always the bottom one) and you are back to 2 minutes ago.

Yes it makes a lost of entries if you work on a project for several weeks like I do, but they are all named for the project they are from as I have worked on up to 8 projects at the same time. After you are done you can delete them. At any rate, you never lose more then 2 minutes of your project. With PD7 I was invaluable as that version has been the only version that would not run for more than 10 minutes for me.

I have been using that option for years. __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link