Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What do you do to your photos before importing them into PowerDirector? Feedback comments please.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Thank you everyone for your feedback.
Dafydd
Andrew - Wales, UK
Contributor Location: Wales, UK Joined: Jan 27, 2009 19:16 Messages: 545 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

If any of my photos need editing in any way, I use Corel Paint Shop Pro X3 (used PSP since 1994 :) before importing into PD9. Slideshows on blu-ray look fantastic, on DVD less so but that's to be expected.

One thing that drives me crazy about PD9 is when a photo needs rotating - it keeps a copy of the un-rotated photo in the library which can get confusing. Plus, if you need to rotate alot of photos it takes a long time. It would be nice if you could select photos that need rotating first and then rotate them all in one go!

Cheers,

Andrew Alienware Aurora ALX R4 - Intel i7-4820 4.2 GHz - 32GB DDR3 RAM - Crucial 512GB SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - 3TB WD Green HDD - 4TB WD Green HDD - MSI NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB

Sony HDR-PJ810 and HDR-PJ530
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Just popping this thread back into full view.

I'm still looking for more feedback and input from individual editors.

The information you give will be passed onto CyberLink.

Diolch
Dafydd
djmorgan
Senior Member Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Oz. Joined: Mar 09, 2007 07:07 Messages: 233 Offline
[Post New]
I process from RAW (Canon), as if they were going to be used in stock, then simply crop or reduce to the size of the intended video, normally 1920 x 1080.

I stay away from any other editing programs other than PS or LR

David Windows 7 X64 SP1
ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA1366 X58
Intel core I7 950 3.80 GHZ CPU
12Gb Corsair TR3X3G1600C8D Tri channel
Corsair H70 Water cooling
Corsair HX1000W PSU
nVidia GTX 980
Intel 240Gb SSD 520 Series
2 x Seagate 1 Tb
[Post New]
I'll use a combination of PS and Paint usually. I'll use the adjustments available in PD for light/color adjustment. Seems to work ok for me.

Oh, i also use this website to get correct 16X9 resolutions. If i have a photo or picture that needs changing to 16 x 9 i try and use the closest dimensions possible to the original image size, then crop/resize as necessary.

http://size43.com/jqueryVideoTool.html
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Since the largest resolution "natively handled" by PD is 1920x1080 at both timeline and production levels, I take the view that I would prefer to be more in control of manipulating my hi-res images than less. I have, in the past, had cause to doubt PD's image handling processes, as they are internal to PD.

The editing of images in PD is serviceable but basic, with little user control, and therefore I prefer to manipulate my images in photoshop or similar, resize them properly to 1920x1080 and import to PD.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
tonytong [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 20, 2015 00:21 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: After I move them from my camera to a catch all folder using windows explorer off the SD card, I look at them all using infran view (free), delete the bad ones, and if I need to re size, crop, or simple color adjustments (also has auto adjust) I then suck them into PD as needed.

I NEVER use PD's built in photo fixes or anything. I leave Infranview running and if I need to change a photo I delete it out of PD and go back into Ivew to change it and then suck it back into PD.

Thanks Carl for reminding me that I also use paint.net too.

I have Photoshop but Ivew is much easier and quicker for most photo changes. You can put in text with Ivew but if I need fancy I still use Photoshop but normally just use a title in PD. That's what they are there for.

Infranview also has a plugin that will OCR text within a photo. Not the greatest but works most of the time.

In my opinion, Photoshop is too difficault to use, Infranview is much easier.
DouglasW [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 09, 2008 14:49 Messages: 66 Offline
[Post New]
I find Picasa is very good for preparing the original images .. cropping , straightening , and adjusting colour and even sharpness , then send them in named groups to "My Documents" .

Then I move them into the library when ready to need them , or sometimes I just go ahead and do it anyway.

I am very happy with using Picasa to prepare the images for use .

DougW