Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
The wrong Thumbnails again
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Just to be clear: if you don’t see any issues with the thumbnails in timeline and/or the rooms, that is great, because that is how it is meant to be.

And indeed I don't want ot make this bigger than it is.

Yesterday I bumped into the issue after a second load of many images (the example set I submitted).
Today, working in normal routine editing it took several projects before I saw thumbnails on places where they should not be. (I restarted the program and continued the work.)
I also noticed (new to me) that I was not able to select all media files in the media room with Ctrl-A. The option – for obvious reasons- has switched off for all the rooms, but should work in the media room. It did not, nor did the multiple select (holding the Ctrl key, and/or the range selection with the Shift key). (It all worked again after restart.)

So something is wrong, but don’t worry if you don’t have it. And if I was the only user with the issue, I would -like CL- be happy to conclude that it must be my system. However, if more users have the same experience, my suggestion to CL remains: have a look at this because it may potentially be the cause of something bigger or wider, like some of the other flaws that have been reported here over time.

I was in contact with CL support, who have been very responsive.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 23. 2023 03:18

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I just tried the project Warry uploaded. I cannot replicate the same issue after trying them several times.
I would rather have to say, it is could be a dumb task to repeat the same and these miscellaneous steps just for replication.

I guess you don't understand taking some form of test actions to replicate so the event can be trapped and debugged. Have you heard of stress testing? Yes maybe these actions to replicate for debug are dumb, but it creates the same effect that apparently occurs randomly for Warry during edit sessions.

For me, I notice the various room and/or timeline thumbnail issue the most when I bounce around my real projects that have large asset number to them in the timeline, often 100's of pics and video, not just a few split videos, without closing PD. Often I'm simply scrubbing the timeline, clicking on transitions, pips, so on, no editing, looking for a unique edit I recall doing in one of them, hence this dumb task as you describe.

Even if CL could replicate, the chance of a resolution is probably near zero anyhow.

Jeff
Warry [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: The Netherlands Joined: Oct 13, 2014 11:42 Messages: 853 Offline
[Post New]
Update:
Cyberlink Support came back just now. They have tried to reproduce the error using my project more than 10 times and kept seeing normal behavior. IThe root cause on my condition is unknown, and it could possibly be related to any small glitches that might occur in the temporary thumbnail rendering process on timeline and feature rooms in PowerDirector on your platform specifically.

They gave me a tip to delete an entry in the registry. I have done that and will see how things go.

No surprises, but I am happy with the fast turn around time of the reaction, Thanks Lilian!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Update:
Cyberlink Support came back just now. They have tried to reproduce the error using my project more than 10 times and kept seeing normal behavior. IThe root cause on my condition is unknown, and it could possibly be related to any small glitches that might occur in the temporary thumbnail rendering process on timeline and feature rooms in PowerDirector on your platform specifically.

They gave me a tip to delete an entry in the registry. I have done that and will see how things go.

No surprises, but I am happy with the fast turn around time of the reaction, Thanks Lilian!

Just to let you know that you are not the only one that sees incorrect thumbnails. I am using PD17 to create a slideshow using about 500 files. This will be authored and burned to BD with Dolby Digital Audio. PD did not respond when I tried to save it as a different project. After a while, I opened it, ready for titling on the lower track. Went to custom titles and all the thumbnail images are wrong. Went to all contents and saw all the thumbnail images are wrong. The title names and title preview are all correct. See the attached 30 sec. Screen recording.

This is only 500 4K assets without shadow files. Have more than enough ram. Hope that Cyberlink support will be able to help you more. Do recall this and other bugs in the earlier versions of PD. A restart or powerup of the pc seems to remedy the problem so I never reported it. Others here have experienced it and probably never reported it either. Have not powered down or reset the pc yet. I think that I can continue working even with incorrect thumbnails.

It is possible that supplying a screen recording of the issue may encourage support to look in other areas to fix the issue. I certainly hope so.
 Filename
20230630183107.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
Title thumbnail images are those in my Images for the slideshow.
 Filesize
27061 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
27 time(s)
Warry [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your story, observations and the screenrecording, which clearly shows that sometimes? there is something wrong with the thumbnails (still).
Because we know that Cyberlink Development Staff does not look at this forum, it may be a good idea that you share the screenrecording with their support. I suggest telling them that may have something to do with large amounts of media thumbnails?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 02. 2023 14:07