Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Timeline too big for DVD capacity
[Post New]
Hi guys. I've been away for a while but now have this problem to try and find a solution for.
I might also say that I did a search of every kind to come up with some answers but there
seems to be nothing available. We're talking PD8 here.
My wife has been abroad and the videos she has taken amount to 48mins on the timeline.
I created an MPEG2 file and put it on the timeline to burn to DVD.
Unfortunately it is telling me that the file is 6.7GB and the DVD has only 4.7GB available.
What can be done please? Presumable cut the timeline in half for the original edited timeline
(not the MPEG2 file).
But I don't know how to approach this without losing the second half of the video which has
taken me a long time to put together and then having to painstakingly remake it on the timeline.

Also, the MPEG2 file says it is in 720 x ? quality. Is that correct? If I was shooting in 1080 x 1920 should I be creating a file in H.264?

Thanks in advance.

Phil. Phil
Tell the truth - but gently.

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM

HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Phil,

Not sure why you are getting such a large file size for 48 minutes of video, but here are some steps to split the project if desired.

1 - Save the project, using Save As, to projectpart01.pds then save again using projectpart02.pds
2 - Open up the projectpart01.pds and locate a spot near the middle of the project to make the split.
3 - Once this spot has been determined, remove all the clips beyond that point. Make note of, or write down where the split has been made for future use.
4 - Once the clips are removed you can create the disc for part one.
5 - When complete, save your project, then open the projectpart02.pds file and repeat the above steps except for:
Remove the clips at the first of the timeline up to the split point chosen above.

Use your own descriptive names to relace projectpart01 and projectpart02

Hope this helps

Hal OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
[Post New]
Hal,
Thanks so much for your helpful reply. I will try it now that I have seen your reply and report back when complete.
Yes, I don't know why such big file size either.
Cheers!

Phil Phil
Tell the truth - but gently.

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Rather than split the project, why not just burn a 8.5 GB double layer disk?

The size may be because of the bit rate of the DVD is about 8 Mbps. I do not know the bit rate of your video, but if it is less, that would explain the size difference. Also the estimate may be wrong in the create disk module (known problem).
Also, the MPEG2 file says it is in 720 x ? quality. Is that correct? If I was shooting in 1080 x 1920 should I be creating a file in H.264?

H.264 would keep the HD quality of the original.

If you are starting with a HD file you should consider a Blu-Ray disk instead of the Standard DVD.
A Standard DVD is Standard definition (720x480 pixels).

A Blu-Ray can only be played in a Blu-Ray player or on your computer with the correct software.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.