Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Setting chapter points
[Post New]
Hello. I have a question on setting chapter points or what I think is setting chapter points. What I want to do is display an opening page where you can click on words or an icon that says, "English version, click here." The scene would go forward to a 3 minute clip of me (the english person) talking and demonstrating a product. On the same opening page, there would be other words or an icon that says, "Chinese version, click here." Once again, the scene would go even more forward to a chinese person talking and demonstrating the product. I may not be explaining this right but can anyone help me. I have already set chapter 2 which is the first scene. How do I set up that icon so when you click on it, the scene moves forward. Thank you for your help! Rob
Berto2002 [Avatar]
Member Location: Southend-on-Sea, UK Joined: May 23, 2010 04:16 Messages: 74 Offline
[Post New]
I am presuming you are burning this to DVD? Because a DVD is the only interactive content you can have in a movie.

So your movie will consist of your English and Chinese versions on after each other on the time line. Youthen go to the chapters room and create one chapter at the start of each clip, name them as you'd like them to appear (e.g. "Chinese version") and perhaps specify the frame to use as the thumbnail.

Then go to Create Disc and select a menu type from the defaults or download one. The DVD authoring aspects of PD are very limited and cumbersome. For example you always have to have the first screen with the elements "play" and "scenes".

Once you have selected your template you can modify it and alter the text on both the main menu (root) and the sub-menus. What I believe you want is:

Main menu:
Title: [this is your title]
Rename "play" to Play English and then Chinese version"
Rename "scenes" to "Click here to select which language version to play"

Sub menu:
Modify the menu to have two buttons. Your template may have one or more than 2 so add / delete as appropriate.
The menu should pick-up that each button is named as per your chapters
If you named the chapters correctly you'll find people see two buttons to click: "Chinese version" and "English version"

So in essence I think this does what you are after but you cannot avoid having the initial choice at the front being "play" or "scenes" (because PD is not flexible with the menu layouts).

Does this help?

Rob AMD Phenom II X6 1100XT
ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB m/board
8GB Corsair Performance RAM
128GB OCX SATA-III SSD / 2TB SATA-III HDD
ASUS GeForce GTX 760 2048MB
LG blu-ray RW super drive
Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit
PowerDirector Ultra 13
[Post New]
Hello Berto2002 (Rob):

Thank you for your reply. I did go through what you said and I did make two chapter points successfully. I understand the template process, etc. But what I am really after is making a production that people can view on YouTube. I don't want to make a DVD. The intro would be the menu and people at that time could click on "English version" or "Chinese version." Of course, if someone didn't click on anything the video would run it's normal course.

I have see this process done on YouTube. The on-air person says, "click here to see my last week's video or click there to see what my future video will be." I don't think I want to do that. Not now anyway. I would like a simple background with the 2 icons that say English and Chinese. By the way, I sidestepped the "Play" button by simply hiding it so people could only choose "English" or "Chinese." The next segment was the two scenes where they could choose. I used the preview button to view the production and it looked good. In the end, it seemed I could only burn it to a disc when I simply want to make an MPEG video or an AVI, something like that and then upload it to YouTube.

Thanks again,

Rob
Berto2002 [Avatar]
Member Location: Southend-on-Sea, UK Joined: May 23, 2010 04:16 Messages: 74 Offline
[Post New]
Now I understand. In youtube this is done by having multiple separate videos that refer to each other. So you would create three videos: The first would be the one your index and it would have your choice of English and Chinese versions in a video that is, for example one minute. The menu video would have two annotations on it with clickable links to the content videos themselves. AMD Phenom II X6 1100XT
PowerDirector Ultra 13
Berto2002 [Avatar]
[Post New]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5otjHuOkVM
http://google.about.com/od/youtube/ss/embed-share-YouTube-videos.htm AMD Phenom II X6 1100XT
PowerDirector Ultra 13
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi robboyle18,

Berto pretty much covered it. But here is an example of click/switching between 2 videos, as Berto described above.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObhEAkXgQcM

(EDIT: Repaired. Should work now.)

And attached is a screen shot of how and where I enabled the active link.
(Note: In the end I modified, and went a bit of a different route, but the screen shot shows the basics.)

[Thumb - YT-004 b.png]
 Filename
YT-004 b.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
126 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
141 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 31. 2011 07:38

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
[Post New]
Thanks. I have it now! And thanks for the demonstration. I like that little bow at the end!! Rob