Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problems Authoring 3D Menus and Enabling Hardware Acceleration
tnw2933 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: United States Joined: Oct 15, 2011 17:11 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
I have encountered difficulties in the Create Disk window of PD10 when authoring a 3D disk menu. For example, every time I choose the valentine 3D menu and use it only by changing the text, PD10 gets to 93% of the authoring step and just ceases activity. The countdown continues but the disk authoring never gets beyond 93%. (I checked in Task Manager and my CPU activity had dropped to less than 10% well below what it was showing when disk authoring was progressing.) If I use the birthday cake 3D menu instead of the valentine 3D menu, the disk authoring and burning all go perfectly.

I created a 3D menu template using the Menu Designer. The 3D menu consisted of a 3D image for the background and the title of the production and the single button for Play. When I clicked on Burn to 3D in the Create Disk window, the disk authoring got to 94% but would progress no further no matter how long I left th program running. Again TM showed very little CPU activity in contrast to when the disk authoring was progressing. I tried a 2D menu and disk authoring proceeded with no problem to completion. When disk authoring ceases progressing, I get no error messages at all.

These 3D menu authoring issues occurred repeatedly even after rebooting into Windows Professional 64-bit and re-opening the project in PD10.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what the problem may be with authoring a 3D menu in PD10?

A second issue that I have is that I am using an nVidia GTX285 video card which has CUDA and supports Open CL. I have installed the very latest nVidia drivers for Windows 64 bit for this video card. I have checked both boxes in the Hardware Acceleration section of Preferences. However, when I am in the Producer interface, Enable Hardware video encoding is greyed out. Does this mean that I am not able to use CUDA acceleration for my Sony HDR-TD10 3D video clips in PD10? Is there something else I need to d to use CUDA with PD10?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me with the above two issues. I am new to using PD10 (but not to video editing) and I really like the program for working with 3D material from my Sony camcorder.

Tom Mac Pro 8-Core 2.8 GHz
Windows 7 64-bit with Boot Camp
nVidia GTX285
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
What 3D Blu-Ray output choices are you making, 3D-BD, Side-by-Side?
The 3D still (menu background) is a ".MPO" file, yes?

The Sony has 3D mts files... I only have a 10 second sample, is that correct for your project?

I'll use 3D, mp4's.

I'll try and run through what I do and see what happens on my set up. I don't promise to replicate your issue.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 24. 2011 13:27

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,
OK, here's what I have set up.

1. hardware acceleration active
2. Open GL, available
3. New Menu created.
4. 2 x 3D images .mpo files used as two backgrounds (subtitle excluded).
5. Stretch Setting > Crop
6. 3D-BD tab, Dual View Format and Left First.
7. One Chapter position
8. 3D mp4's used in project
9. 3D-BD selected

BluRay burned.

Dafydd
tnw2933 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd,

Many thanks for your prompt response.

The Sony DHR-TD10 outputs 3D files mts in the MVC format which PD10 has no problems ingesting. The 3D output choice that I am making is correct for preparing a 3D Blu-ray disc in the h.264-AVC format which plays fine on my Sony 3D Blu-ray player. I do not use 3D BD side-by-side as the format because this is a half-resolution format and I want to see the full 1080p 3D image when I feed the output form my Sony Blu-ray player to my Sony VPL-VW90ES 3D projector.

The 3D still in the background is a .MPO file captured in PD10 from a frame of my TD-10 clips used in the project.

I have both Open CL and Hardware encoding enabled in my PD10 preferences.

When I created the 3D menu that will not author to completion in PD10, I used the Stretch setting > Crop just as you did. I set the 3D-BD display tab to anaglyph for viewing on my non-3D monitor with red/cyan glasses.

I had one chapter position at the beginning as well.

The project used the mts MVC files output by my Sony HDR-TD10. There was no problem in the Producing stage of the project only in the Create Disk>Authoring stage which progresses to 94% and then ceases with no error messages.

Finally, I had 3D Blu-ray disk selected.

Please note that all of the above for the same project worked with ONE of the PD10 supplied 3D templates (the birthday cake one) but NOT with the other PD10 supplied template (the valentine one) or with my menu created in menu designer as described above.

I would appreciate any suggestions you have and truly appreciate your help. It is very difficult to know what to do when one 3D menu authors perfectly and the next one that I try does not and stops with no error message.

nVidia GTX285
tnw2933 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd,

Just to be absolutely clear here are all of my settings that I used in PD10's Create Disk interface when the 3D menu did not finish authroing:

Under the 3D disk tab:

Select the video recording format: greyed out but PD10 correclty selected BDMV with Menu and Widescreen (16X9).

Select the video encoding format and Quality: greyed out is h.264 and I selected 1080p.

Selecte audio recording format and channels: Dolby Digital and 5.1 channels.

3D Output Format: 3D-BD.

Tom
Mac Pro 8-Core 2.8 GHz
nVidia GTX285
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tom,

The differences (PC excluded)
Your using:
Sony 3D mts as a source
mpo are screen capture files. How many used in the menu?
Project length? - Not mentioned.
Screen capture of Edit Workspace, (not sure that'll help)
Screen capture of Menu (not sure that'll help)

PC - ok, you're running a mac with w7 and PD10. Can you provide a diagnostic file please?
Part B
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

I'm running PD10 build 925, I've not had time to install build 1005 and there is a patch out tomorrow. Can you re-check after applying the 1012 patch please.

Dafydd
tnw2933 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,

I downloaded and installed the PD10 patch which came out today. Unfortunately, it made no difference. Authoring of my menu stoped suddenly, as it always has, at 94%.

I have one .mpo image used as a background image in the menu. The menu has only one page which consists of this background image, a title, and a single Play button. There are no other components to this menu.

The project length is slightly over 4 minutes.

I have attached a screen capture of the editing window, a screen capture of the Create Disk window, and the Dxdiag.txt file as you requested.

Thank you for your continued help in resolving this very annoying issue with PD10.

Tom
[Thumb - ScreenShot002.jpg]
 Filename
ScreenShot002.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
522 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
329 time(s)
[Thumb - ScreenShot001.jpg]
 Filename
ScreenShot001.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
335 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
338 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
48 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
744 time(s)
Mac Pro 8-Core 2.8 GHz
nVidia GTX285
[Post New]
tnw2933;
Is there a reason that you are attempting to process this from the external ( Q: ) USB drive??
Also, there has been a new release of WHQL drivers (285.62) from Nvidia

Dafydd;
Why haven't you installed the latest code? You are running pre-release software (2 builds OLD)!! Just wondering??

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Oct 24. 2011 17:43

Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not seeking help for this problem, but thought I would share that I tried burning to folder the 1280x720p BD-3D anaglyph preset with the 3D-Valentine menu (Template 10) and haven't been able to get past 50% encoding. I used only the Nature.mpg sample video on the timeline with the Power Tools "2D to 3D" option on.

The Task Manager shows 50% CPU Usage. Maybe I don't have enough RAM, but in any event PowerDirector 10 is in an endless loop. Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
tnw2933 [Avatar]
[Post New]
FredB,

Thank you for responding.

I have tried this project on both an internal SATA HD and on my external USB disk. It fails to complete the authoring of the 3D menu at exactly the same place (94%) regardless of which HD that I use for accessing the project. That, to me, would seem to eliminate HD speed as the culprit.

I will check to see if nVidia has an newer driver for my nVidia GTX285 card, but I just installed an nVidia driver for this card three days ago when I first began working with PD10.

nVidia GTX285
[Post New]
New Nvidia drivers released today. Not saying it is the issue, but new drivers are important for new technologies...IMHO.....

Quote: If I use the birthday cake 3D menu instead of the valentine 3D menu, the disk authoring and burning all go perfectly.

.....sounds like part of the the answer is that Valentine might be broken and you aren't the only one having problems with it. (see Xerox's post above).

Using an external USB drive (your drive only has an 8MB buffer, to compound the speed issue) is often a contributor to the problems.

Most people with strong CPU/GPU combinations leave hardware acceleration OFF. The GPU will still be used and kick-in when needed. I have mine turned on, but I do NOT select it during Transcoding and Production!!

Whenever we have seen projects that fail at the same % location (other than 99%), it is usually a problem with a clip or soundbite or menu or transition...USUALLY, not always.

I am just trying to eliminate items that COULD be compounding the problem.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 24. 2011 20:40

tnw2933 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I downloaded and installed the very latest nVidia driver for the GTX285 released today and once again attempted to author the 3D menu that I had created. The same thing happened, i.e authoring stopped suddenly at exaclty 94% with no error messages.

I then just decided to start all over and see if I could identify any element that may have been causing the problem with this menu.

I used the exact same 3D background image that I had been using. I changed the font style that I had been using to another font style. I made no effort to adjust the depth of the text, i.e. I did not click on the 3D button to get the depth slider and adjust it as I had with the 3D menu that would not author. I used the same single Play button as before. In short, everything was the same in this menu as in the menu that would not author with two exceptions: (1) I changed the font style; (2) I did not adjust the 3D depth sliders for the title text and Play button as I had in the first menu.

I am happy to report that this second 3D menu authored and burned with no problems whatsoever. The menu is shown in teh attached screenshot.

Since I made two changes between the two menus, it is impossible to say for sure where the problem lies, but if I had to make a guess, I would say the problem is that adjusting the 3D depth sliders on the title text and Play button text may be the source of the problem of authoring stopping at 94%. It is hard to believe that simply changing the font style from one to another could be the cause of the problem.

In any case, I have found authoring of 3D menus to be hit and miss in PD10. As I previously stated, I could not get the 3D valentine menu to author (it stopped at 93%) and I could not get my first created 3D menu to author sucessfully. I could get the 3D birthday menu to author, several 2D menus have authored without problems, and I was successful as described above in getting my second 3D menu created in the Menu Designer to author to completion.

I hope that Cyberlink folks read this forum because I feel more work needs to be done on authroing 3D menus to improve the reliability of the authoring process.

As for for not being able to get hardware acceleration enabled in PD10, I have simply come to the conclusion that the fact that the two items under Fast Video Rendering Technology, namely SVRT and Hardware Video Encoder, on the Producer Interface (see attached image) are greyed out does not mean that my nVidia card is not being used in the rendering step, but I will need to do more work to see if I see any differnce in the time for rendering the project with and without Open CL and/or hardware rendering checked in PD10 Preferences.

Finally I would like to thank those who have followed this thread and offered suggestions. I hope my detailed account of trying to author 3D menus has been of some use to others trying to use PD10 for this purpose.

Tom
[Thumb - ScreenShot003.jpg]
 Filename
ScreenShot003.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
238 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
338 time(s)
[Thumb - ScreenShot004.jpg]
 Filename
ScreenShot004.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
273 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
303 time(s)
Mac Pro 8-Core 2.8 GHz
nVidia GTX285
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tom,
Thank you for the write up. I'll pass your observations onto CyberLink for them to try and replicate (3D title changes in the menu). I looked up and drooled over the AR Drone. I have camera transmission based RC stuff for planes which I haven't used for a while. What's the lift capability of the AR Drone? Perhaps that should be for a PM.

EDIT: I note that the Menu Designer Title fonts and choices are the same as the 2D Title Designer's, the 3D Title Designer's fonts offered are different.

Hi Fred,
925 is the same as the release version for those who buy the boxed product. I delayed installing 1005, just busy. I'll download and install the latest today.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 25. 2011 05:33

jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
I did a little experimenting of my own.

• I up-converted the Nature clip to 3D using the PowerTools.
  • I produced it as an anaglyph
  • I added the "heart plant" title to it, and changed the text a little (just the text, no fonts or anything).
  • I selected "DVD" and burnt it to a folder (as an anaglyph), with no problem whatsoever.
  • I repeated the last step, but I selected "Blueray Disc/3D-BD" as the format.
  • This time the burning stopped at 58%, and it was still there 12 hours later.
  • I replaced the "heart plant" menu with the "falling package" menu. It inherited the modified text from the previous steps.
  • I burnt it to a folder as an anaglyph DVD. That worked with no problem.
  • I burnt it to a folder in "Blueray Disc 3D-BD" format, and that also worked fine.
  • As a final test, I went back and changed the text (in the "falling packages" menu) and again burnt it as a folder in "Blueray Disc 3D-BD" format. That, too, worked just fine

• It definitely looks like there is something wonky about the "heart plant" menu template, although I obviously haven't tried every conceivable setting.

Once minor caveat: I didn't pay attention to the "menu music", so some might have had it and some might not.

I am using the 1012 build.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 25. 2011 11:54

Jerry Schwartz
    Wolfgang 1
    Newbie Location: Austria/Vienna Joined: May 30, 2010 06:19 Messages: 49 Offline
    [Post New]
    Tom, I have to state that I did not dip into all details. But what I have done was to start a small test project based on Sony TD10 1080 50i PAL files - using the unchanged template 10 (so the nice heart = valentine menu). The test project is not huge - only some clips, something about 2 minutes only.

The authoring progress went wit that project to 77%, and then did not contiue. Remaining time went down to 00:00:01, after something about 17:00 minutes. No futher activity took place, even not after waiting for 23 minutes.

Using another 3D template, template 9, with the same result - beside the detail that it ended with 88%.

So, the issue seems to be in the authoring process - since the buring process does not start at all.

Another user in my German forum videotreffpunkt has reported about the same issue - so that is nothing that cannot be reproduced, but seems to happen a lot of times.

So, both Dafydd and Michael are now informed. Lets hope that they can resolve the issue. Kind regards,
    Wolfgang
    tnw2933 [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    Wolfgang,

Many thanks for letting me know that you, too, have been having problems with authoring 3D disk menus in PD10. I fully agree that there is some problem with the PD10 software in the 3D menu authoring section, and I fully agree that the problem is with the authoring step -- not the disk burning step. If the authoring of the menu does not complete, then, of course, the disk burning will never take place. Furthermore, I believe, but cannot say for sure, that the problem is with 3D menus only and not with 2D menus. I have authored and burned several 2D menus with no problem.

I am very hopeful that Cyberlink programmers will truly look closely at the part of the program controlling the authoring of 3D menus and ultimately issue an update to the program that corrects this problem. Since PD10 is the only program that I am aware of that can currently prepare 3D menus, this is an especially important function of the program.

nVidia GTX285
    Wolfgang 1
    Newbie Location: Austria/Vienna Joined: May 30, 2010 06:19 Messages: 49 Offline
    [Post New]
    Well Tom, I have tried now some 3D menus - and ALL failed. I have tried some 2D menus - and none failed. That is a clear pattern in what is going on.

I am aware that the PD10 is by now the first 3D authoring tool - well, at the moment with the situation that you can use 2D menus only.

I think there is now a significant work-list for the development team in terms of identified 3D bugs. Let us hope that they can fix that!

Kind regards,
    Wolfgang
    tnw2933 [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    Wolfgang,

I am a bit surprised to hear that all 3D menus have failed. I was able to get the birthday cake 3D menu as well as the second 3D menu that I prepared in the Menu Designer to author to completion. Nonetheless, I think it is now quite clear that there are problems with authoring 3D menus in PD10, and I hope that the Cyberlink development team will work rapidly to address this issue with PD10.

There is a great deal that I like about PD10 including the fact that, along with Vegas Pro 11, it is the only NLE software that will import the MVC 3D footage shot with the Sony HDR-TD10, that it is a fully self-contained program for capturing, editing, and outputting to Blu-ray disk, and that its rendering of MVC material to 3D Blu-ray is try fast. If Cyberlink can address the issues with authoring 3D Blu-ray menus, this will be my NLE of choice for working in 3D.

nVidia GTX285
    Dafydd B [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    Hi,
    OK, I now have to work out what you all are doing different from me because I have just used 1012 build and have successfully burned a 3D-BD using a menu I created previously.

I used mpo's taken by the 3D camera and not snapshots.
    I used mp4's (they get converted to mts by PD10)
    I placed the mpo's in Root and Titles/Chapters

I'm a bit confused.

There are only two default 3D menus in PD10 and both of those can not be modified. You can however alter the 2D menus to become 3D but you have to make that modification for all sections of the 2D menu for it to be done correctly. You also have to make the modification and then apply that new menu template to your project. Sorry if I'm re-covering the ground and appearing to preach.

I will now test Wolfgang's clips to see if that makes a difference and use screen cap mpo's (as Tom did) along with Title changes and such for a new menu.

At the moment I'm stuck, and I cant replicate this issue.

Dafydd
    Dafydd B [Avatar]
    [Post New]
    Hi Wolfgang,
    I have just used template 9* and have burnt a 3D-BD.

I see you mention reports on 9 & 10 "The authoring progress went wit that project to 77%, and then did not contiue" and "Using another 3D template, template 9, with the same result - beside the detail that it ended with 88%. "

Since the authoring process is the conversion of the media data prior to writing to disc, I wonder what you have that is causing the problem. I'll test the menu's first and see if 1012 is ok with my 3D mp4's. Then I'll go in and use your sample media (thank you for providing those) and replicate the template burns and see if I can duplicate the authoring issue..

*Template 9/10 are the default 3D menu template provided with PD10.

Dafydd