Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Using Magic Cut - problems
Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Phoenix Joined: Mar 13, 2011 11:35 Messages: 211 Offline
[Post New]
I'm happily now using PD 10. I'm launching a number of substantial projects and decided to be more efficient with video clips for the first time using Magic Cut. First I cut one .VOB file in about half to limit the clips to one subject. It indicated the resulting half of my original video is 14 minutes and would be reduced to about 4 minutes. I hit PREVIEW and looked at ORIGINAL and OUTPUT. The original was obviously the last half of the original .VOB, but the Output showed how it reduced the first half of the original .VOB.

No matter what I tried, I kept getting 4 minutes of reduced video of the first half of the .VOB file. It never would go to the last half and reduce its content.

What am I missing in my process? It's always something.

Bill Bill Seifert
HP Pavilion Desktop TP01-2022
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Bill,
Not having your video makes this a little hard to answer. However I attempted to replicate your situation. When I adjusted the "Criteria" selections to the "-" settings for each I was only viewing the first half of the short clip I used in preview and when applied.

However when left the "criteria" options at the default settings I had a speeded sequence showing a reduced clip length but covering the whole of the project clip. It was a landscape pan.

Suggestion, try out the different Criteria slider controls to achieve what you're after.

Watercolorwilly [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Phoenix Joined: Mar 13, 2011 11:35 Messages: 211 Offline
[Post New]
I had fiddled with those criteria options before, but this time I tried all at the extreme "-" and then all at "+" with no change. I'm pretty sure I clicked on "preview" each time. There is no change. The original shows the last half of the clip as expected. The output shows a shortened version of the first half!

This confounds me. Sigh.

Perhaps the length of the clip is too long for the software. I'd try to cut the clip in half somewhere else because PD seems to want to work with the whole .VOB, rather than the clip that I split away on the track.

I don't know how to cut the clip in half somewhere else to make a clean separation so that PD doesn't want to continue with the full original clip.

Bill Bill Seifert
HP Pavilion Desktop TP01-2022
8 core
AMD Radeon
Windows 11, 16 GB RAM

magic7s [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 21, 2011 12:53 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am having the same problem (I think). I have a video that is 50 minutes of me riding my dirt bike. I want this down to about 4 minutes. When I use magic cut (or magic movie) it creates a movie that is 4 minutes but it is just the FIRST 4 minutes of my original movie. No matter what criteria I use I get the same result.
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same problem. If I want 5 minutes out of a 50 minute clip, I get only the first 5 minutes of the source clip. Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks everyone. my ref 298.
Dafydd
Wesestes [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 24, 2011 08:14 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am also having the same problem. I have updated to the most recent version. The video I'm trying to Magic Cut is only 10 minutes in length. Is there a solution or ET when this will be fixed. Looking at the string I don't see any resolution? Thanks.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
I applied Magic Cut to a few different clips and found that:
(a) if the clip was short (up to about 5:30), all MC did was trim off the first part of the clip.
(b) if the clip was longer, MC cut off the last part.

Magic? I'm glad it has a reference number.

Cheers - Tony

P.S. I didn't test any clips that were between 5:30 & 30:00 in duration.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 24. 2011 14:05

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
lenoxbowman [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 24, 2012 21:11 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I just purchased Powerdirector and this is still an issue. Is there no resolution?
Thanks,
Lenox
Benjamin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 12, 2012 21:37 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I am having the same problem with magic cut. When I try to reduce a 4:30 video to, for example, one minute, it simply takes the first minute of video.

I'd like to know what the magic formula is. Do I need a longer video to start with? What is the ratio that will enable the entire video to be used instead of just the first part?