Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Installation error - vc_red.msi is on a network resource that is unavailable
Ronk [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 06, 2011 17:35 Messages: 95 Offline
[Post New]
Installing the upgrade to PowerDirector 10.0, I get message that vc_red.msi is on a network resource that is unavailable. How can I solve this problem so that I can install 10.0?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
vc_red is the Microsoft Visual C++ redistribution package, most often when you get this you are not administrator, particularly on Win7 box. Might try "run as administrator" right click on install.

Jeff
Ronk [Avatar]
[Post New]
The only copy of vs_red.msi is in my downloads folder. If I right click on that file, I don't see a "run as administrator". If I right click on install, I get "another program is being installed" ... this would be PowerDirector 10.0. Should I abandon the install of PowerDirector?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Did you use "run as administrator" on the PD10 install package.

Jeff
Ronk [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just tried that ... same error. I think I will try downloading the Microsoft Visual C++ redistribution package from microsoft.com. I am on Vista SP2 64 bit.
Ronk [Avatar]
[Post New]
Downloading the Microsoft Visual C++ redistribution package from microsoft.com did not solve the problem. In fact, I couldn't even find another copy of vc_red.msi on my system after I installed the package. The error occurs during the installation of SmartSound. I cancelled that installation, and the rest of PowerDirector installed fine and works well. I guess I can live without SmartSound.
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
the .msi file is the instructions for the OS to install the redistribution package (mostly GUI .dlls used by SS).

most likely cause is errors in your registry, try ccleaner (free on internet from trusted site like pcworld ... note this is not CLcleaner from cyberlink which only does limited edit of registry) Norton 360 also has registry cleaner, but cost $$$.

RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
Ronk [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the help. I ran ccleaner and Norton 360. Both found many registry errors. I don't think I'll reinstall PowerDirector, though, unless I have a problem. After skipping the error yesterday, I brought up PowerDirector and clicked on the Magic Music icon. It installed many updates. Smartsound seems to be working fine.
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: the .msi file is the instructions for the OS to install the redistribution package (mostly GUI .dlls used by SS).

Not quite: the .msi file should also include the files that are part of the product. A "setup" program is really a front-end to the .msi, assuming the program uses the Microsoft installer. Jerry Schwartz
Daniel [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 14, 2015 10:16 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have this issue all of a sudden come up, and then found this forum thread, but there seems to be no actual solution provided. Can anyone please give a point-by-point solution to this? I'm on Windows 7 64-bit. Thank you, DC
bphft [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 23, 2021 17:11 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I'm aware of the age of this thread. Apologies for doing such a horrible thing of posting in an old topic if it destroyed your life! But I've just run in to this issue installing old development software for an old game (UDK 2009 beta version) and found a solution. The solution for me was clicking the browse button and it opened right up to the location of where the vc_red.msi file was. I just clicked on it and the installation finally completed instead of giving the same error reported in this topic about it being on a local network that couldn't be accessed. I did run the installation exe as administrator when this solution occurred. Without running the installation file as admin when I got the error it wouldn't find it but when I did run it as admin when I clicked the browse button the file was there.

I attempted finding the file to upload it somewhere for anyone else having this issue but a file explorer search didn't find it. I'm baffled by that but it kind of fixed it self.

Run the installation as admin and if you get the network error click the browse button. Hope it's there for you as it was for me.
Hope this helps someone that finds this thread searching for a solution to this issue.

No solution was here so I hope I don't get blasted for posting in an old thread. I just had this same issue 6/23/2021.
Having "a" solution here would have been helpful. A solution is here now.