Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problem with over-lapping menu items
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having the darndest time trying to move things around in the menu editor so PD is satisfied. I thought I had my menu designed, but when I went to burn to folder, the error message came up, "Either a menu thumbnail (menu caption) or the navigation buttons are currently overlapping. Try adjusting them for this disc format."

--It's the the "busiest" menu I've made yet, so I apparently wasn't seeing this in earlier projects, since the menus were simpler.

But there's no visual feedback while working in the editor to warn you when things are overlapping in a way that won't work. In my old Brand X program, the outline of text or image would suddenly have a bright red border when they were placed "illegally" in the menu. You could instantly see when you'd moved the offending item enough so that the program was happy.

--Without that feedback, I'm working in the dark - and I'm not getting it right yet. I don't know exactly what to look for. It seems like text can seem to overlap a bit and it's acceptable - but how much? This is an awful lot of work, going through 6 pages of chapter buttons, 4 chapters per page - and like I said, I don't seem to be fixing things yet.

That error message isn't clear either - "a menu thumbnail (menu caption")---I don't get that. Those are two different things, captions and thumbnails-.

Any tips?

rbowser
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
usually that error refers to the 'Name' being used that is pertinent to the graphic object. select the text and either shorten it or insert line break.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,
usually that error refers to the 'Name' being used that is pertinent to the graphic object. select the text and either shorten it or insert line break.
Jim

oh--I guess you mean the text is too close to the graphic?-- In any case, what I did was go back to the template, changed all the text to a smaller font, and moved the text farther from the thumbnail graphics. Re-applied that template to my menu, and all seems OK now - but the text is farther away from the thumbnails than I'd like. Wish the caption could be right there, up close to the thumbnails.

This will be fine for now though. Thanks, Jim.

RB