Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Blu-ray ISOs launched through WMC don't start from the beginning
evt [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 06, 2011 11:38 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hi guys,

I've got PowerDVD 11 integrated in WMC and I launch my blu-ray ISOs through either MyMovies or Media Browser which mounts them using Virtual Clone Drive. Almost all of my rips are movie only blu-ray ISOs. After purchasing and installing PowerDVD 11 including the latest patch I notice that when I launch a movie from either MyMovies or Media Browser it doesnt' start right from the beginning (my PowerDVD settings are to always start from the beginning).

If I start one of my blu-ray ISOs outside of WMC it behaves correctly. Is anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions?
evt [Avatar]
[Post New]
So after some further testing I was able to rule out Media Browser and MyMovies as the problem. I have PowerDVD 11 auto resume set to start from the beginning.

So I mounted a movie only blu-ray ISO and due to the autoplay feature enabled it launched PowerDVD 11 in classic mode. When I press stop and then play again it starts from the beginning (so far so good). I then switched to cinema mode and since that mode requires you to pick whether to resume or start no problem there either. So I closed PowerDVD leaving the ISO installed on VCD and then opened up media center. I scrolled down to the PowerDVD plugin and clicked on it and it immediately launched the ISO - but it didn't launch it from the beginning, rather it launched it from where I last left off.

I tried another test as well starting up media center and then minimizing it and mounting another ISO - the result, the movie started at a random spot not the beginning. In any case this is clearly some sort of compatability issue with WMC and PowerDVD 11, has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?
evt [Avatar]
[Post New]
Nobody else on this forum is having this problem?

I posted in some HTPC forums and it seems quite common. I also downloaded a trial version to another PC and experienced the exact same results.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

can you reproduce the issue when not using the mentionded MCE plugins "MyMovies" and "mediaBrowser"?

On my end it works without problem. I only use VCD and the behavior is as expected - no random start

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
evt [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,

can you reproduce the issue when not using the mentionded MCE plugins "MyMovies" and "mediaBrowser"?

On my end it works without problem. I only use VCD and the behavior is as expected - no random start

Br
Michael

Thanks for the response Michael.

I initially had the same concern and I wanted to ensure that it wasn't Movies or Mediabrowser causing the issue so I found a way to exclude them from my testing. I can definitely reproduce the issue when not using the MCE plugins. Here's what I did to do it:

- open windows media center;
- ensure PowerDVD 11 is enabled and visible as a menu item in windows media center;
- minimize windows media center;
- mount an ISO on virtual clone drive (note it must be a movie only blu-ray ISO - full blu-ray ISOs don't have this problem);
- maximize windows media center; and
- autoplay will automatically start playback.

At this point, if you last played a movie only blu-ray ISO what will happen is that playback will start where you last left off - irrespective of which movie you last watched. Just to reinforce the issue. You can then try to stop playback, minimize windows media center again and mount another blu-ray (movie only) ISO and then maximize windows media center - autoplay will pick up this next movie at the point you left off the last movie.

I believe the reason you didn't notice this on your end is that if you mount the ISO and then launch windows media center autoplay won't start playback, rather you will have to go to the powerdvd tab manually in windows media center at which point you will be prompted with the option to restart or resume. Basically, what I've done is simulate the conditions under which PowerDVD works with MyMovies and Mediabrowser without actually using those programs.

Thanks for the feedback Michael and I hope this additional information helps.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 17. 2011 09:28

Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
please let me know what you mean with:

"note it must be a movie only blu-ray ISO - full blu-ray ISOs don't have this problem"

If you remove any folder or item from the BD stucture it may harm the playback.
BD structure is not as simple as DVD - the BD contains Java applications and more.

Br

Werde Facebook Fan
evt [Avatar]
[Post New]
please let me know what you mean with:

"note it must be a movie only blu-ray ISO - full blu-ray ISOs don't have this problem"

If you remove any folder or item from the BD stucture it may harm the playback.
BD structure is not as simple as DVD - the BD contains Java applications and more.

Br
Michael

Hi Michael, what I do is use use DVDFab to rip just the movie into a blu-ray ISO removing menus, extras, etc. This ISO contains a BD structure - it's by no means a raw M2TS file.

In any case, the authoring is not the problem, case in point, if I play these ISOs back on the standalone PowerDVD application I don't have this issue - they all work perfectly and start from the beginning. Also, using a trial version of TMT 5 to test, it too didn't exhibit this problem either as a standalone application or from within windows media center. That's why I suspect this is a Windows Media Center/PowerDVD integration issue.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 17. 2011 10:43

[Post New]
Hi,

I will ask our team to have a look into your scenario

Br

Werde Facebook Fan
evt [Avatar]
[Post New]

I will ask our team to have a look into your scenario

Br
Michael

Thanks Michael, much appreciated.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 18. 2011 09:02

[Post New]
Hi,
we have reproduced the issue and evaluate the fixing now

Br

Werde Facebook Fan
evt [Avatar]
[Post New]

Br
Michael

Thanks Michael. I appreciate the attention your paying to the issue and I look forward to its resolution.
Enchild [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 26, 2012 10:04 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Any update on the fix for this issue?
It is still re-occuring, even with PowerDVD12 with MCE7
scnz70 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 25, 2012 08:01 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I have this same issue and it is really annoying. My kids have no patience for the wades of trailers and crap etc so I made main movie 3D ISOs and they mostly (not brave, avengers, ice age 4 and others) play fine except start at random places every time.
scnz70 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 25, 2012 08:01 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
If you want to quick fix it, when you set in the non MCE plugin player to always start from the beginning, just make it ALWAYS restart. If the BD-J has resume code in it that will kick in irrespective of whether PDVD starts from the beginning or not anyway...
shanec70 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 26, 2012 23:18 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:

Br
Michael

Thanks Michael. I appreciate the attention your paying to the issue and I look forward to its resolution.

Any update on this yet? Finding more and more movies that do the same thing now...