Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do you animate a title along a path you want?
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
I need text on a title to move in one direction in sync with the video image. But in the Title Designer, there aren't options for adding keyframes for a movement path like in the PIP Designer.

What does one do?

RB
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Without going into too much detail...

You can make your "title" in an image-creation software, such as Paint.net.

You may wish your title to have a transparent background, so it must be a .png file-type.

Then bring that .png image into PD, and treat it like any other image, even add effects. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
[Post New]
In DP, you can create text with a transparent background, fast and easy.
Make the text without background, with background is black, takes a photo, add the video track, apply the chroma key, you can now animate the image, text

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 01. 2011 21:51

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Barry, and PlayVideo - I don't think I explained well enough what I want.

To use the specific example of something in my current project:

--The basic default text is inserted. I change the font and color, and place it where I want it on the screen.

--But now I want the text to move along with the video footage, from its first position to closer to the right edge.

--In other words, I simply want to automate a movement path for it, the way we can with images in PIP.

Do I have to use an outside program to make a simple word image just so I can use keyframe automation? Surely there's a way to make text move the way you want, using one of the title templates.

RB
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Nope. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Nope.

Thanks again, Barry - I'll risk losing another one of my rating stars to say--this is very surprising. Such an elementary thing, to have your text move however you want. It hadn't come up for me before this project, but it hasn't been uncommon for me before now to have text in a title move very specifically the way I want it coupled to video.

We have all these twirling, flashing title templates - but there's no way to adapt, tame their movement to something more specific to what we need.--Wow. - OK, so that's why you said earlier to use an image program, do the text as a PNG, import and so forth. --I have PhotoShop, and can easily do it. But it's so odd that I should need to, when there's a Title editing section right there in PD. - I guess that's much like needing to use a 3rd party program to do any serious sound work, a 3rd party program to do any kind of serious image work, and a 3rd party to burn to DVD properly.

Alrighty then! Thanks again for the help, Barry.

RB
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Oh dear - the silly star fairy's back. If there's something I'd like to animate it's transitioning the star ratings off the screen with a brisk scroll right! Seems that people cannot ask an innocent question or provide a basic answer without "the fairy" sitting in judgement.

Barry & PlayVideo have provided the answers, rbowser. That's just how it is in PD, for now. Keyframeable title transitions might be nice (just like PiP motion), but making the text/title into an image is the best available option.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Attached an example of the Text scrolling that PD9 offers.

There is not a way to sync the scroll speed to a video, it is a fixed speed of scroll.

Filename
Scroll Test.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
Scrolls Left to right
 Filesize
1451 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
349 time(s)
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
You get very little control, but if you make the duration of the title longer, the animation you choose performs slower, because it's over a longer time-line.
You can get a little adjustment, also, by changing the start/stop time using the bottom sliders on the title window.
Could be better though.
In the end, a .png may still be best.
Better title control would be a good thing in PD10.
[Thumb - titlesADJUST.png]
 Filename
titlesADJUST.png
[Disk]
 Description
titleadjuster
 Filesize
290 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
200 time(s)
HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you guys for the replies.

It's not a super big problem, because the times when you want to animate text in the way I mentioned isn't all that common. In the particular case of text in my current project, I just adjusted my original idea, and it's fine.

Next time I have that particular need, I'll just do a PhotoShop png and import that, as you suggested, Barry.

The speed of pre-set scrolling text works just as I expected, determined by the length of the clip, as you pointed out, Barry. That's exactly what I was already used to in previous software.

Thanks for making the clip, Carl, by the way. You're always so ready to help, and that's appreciated.

Tony, as for the "star fairy"--well, I didn't know before now that those rows of stars were reflecting anything besides a user's amount of participation here. Now I understand - Once in awhile I haven't been as patient as I could be, and I've expressed my frustration, sometimes with sarcasm. I am used to Forums which are a bit more free-wheeling in their discussion. I understand now, and plan on curbing my frustration when and if it comes up.

Carry on, men - Thanks again for the responses.

RB