Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Xvid?
White Razor [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 26, 2011 08:10 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I have been trying to produce a video for a while now and every time I do, the produced video is chuggy! I thought it might be the codec so I am wondering if there is ANY way of getting PowerDirector 9 to produce using Xvid?

I have raw Frapsed files to produce which are pretty big. My first solution was to convert each 4 GB frapsed file into something smaller before putting them into PowerDirector... but that didn't work. Converting each file still makes them chug, even using other programs like Windows Movie Maker (bad program but it wasn't PowerDirector).

I used VirtualDub using Xvid and it gave me some nice files without chug... however using those smaller 150 MB files in PowerDirector still made the final product chuggy at many points. Why is this? Is it the program or my computer? I've made many videos alright using PowerDirector...

I use PowerDirector mostly because I want to put in some fade effects or text on the screen. If it wasn't for that, I'd probably just convert my videos down using VirtualDub and upload those.

I've looked around for ages and nobody seems to be able to get PowerDirector to use Xvid. Anybody know any way around this or any other suggestions?
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I seriously doubt it. Up until the final updates to PD8 PowerDirector would not even import a XviD clip. Attach a copy of the dxdiag.txt from your computer. Define 'chuggy'. What video profiles are you using to produce? HD or SD? __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
White Razor [Avatar]
[Post New]
Chuggy meaning low frame rate I guess. Like this: http://youtu.be/G7YPEVxLi6E?t=3m56s (about 4 mins in when knifing somebody)

I've attached my DxDiag.

Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag
 Filesize
41 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
605 time(s)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi WhiteRazor -

When you recorded in Fraps, what settings did you use? There are many reports of difficulties with Fraps screen capture videos in a number of NLEs.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
White Razor [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi ynofish,

Usually Fraps is alright. The raw files run fine it's just after rendering. I think many videos I've made before have also been okay, and that was also using PowerDirector 9 (or .

My settings (all of them, just in case) are:

Version 3.4.6, build 13747

General:
Ticked: Start minimised, display status on LCD, minimise to system tray only

FPS:
Display top right corner with no hotkey for benchmarking or overlay

Movies:
Capture hotkey: ]
Record half size, 30 fps, loop buffer length 30 seconds (whatever that is)
Sound capture settings: ticked Record Win7 sound, stereo, Record external output

Screenshots:
hotkey: \, format PNG

Thanks guys!