Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Editing clip length is not consistent moreover it breaks tracks that were in sync before.
ZoltanCanonHF200 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 30, 2009 07:30 Messages: 64 Offline
[Post New]
Editing clip length is not consistent moreover it breaks tracks that were in sync before.

When enlarging clips, clips after the affected one remains in place, but shortening clips moves downstream clips closer (gap removed instantly) which breaks track synchronization (ie. tracks that were in sync before trimming on the timeline) which is a disaster when producing for example music video clips.

Question ID = CS001063545

[Thumb - DSC_0661_cr91.png]
 Filename
DSC_0661_cr91.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
30 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
316 time(s)
[Thumb - DSC_0661_cr92.png]
 Filename
DSC_0661_cr92.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
25 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
320 time(s)
[Thumb - DSC_0661_cr9.png]
 Filename
DSC_0661_cr9.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
23 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
111 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 01. 2011 04:20

Anonymous [Avatar]
[Post New]
There's an easy workaround for that problem:
Split your clip as you are used to, and then...
...DON'T simply "delete" the clipped end, but choose "delete AND LEAVE GAP".
That leaves the subsequent clips in the original and desired position.

Michael.
ZoltanCanonHF200 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 30, 2009 07:30 Messages: 64 Offline
[Post New]
You are right this is what I've been doing in the past week, and this is tedious when editing music videos for example having 50-100 clip changes during 3 minutes.

Give it a try and see how it works for you.
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, that behavior seems inconsistent to me. Make a clip longer, and everything after the clip stays in place. Make it shorter with the same grab-n-drag method makes everything move.

PD9 is lacking something I'd gotten used to in previous software. When wanting to shorten a clip by the easy, most intuitive method of grabbing, there should be a keybinding that temporarily over-rides the default behavior. Like, push CTRL while dragging left, and that makes everything stay in place. That would be nice to have.

RB
MarcinB [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Poland Joined: Jun 15, 2011 14:23 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Yes, that behavior seems inconsistent to me. Make a clip longer, and everything after the clip stays in place. Make it shorter with the same grab-n-drag method makes everything move.

PD9 is lacking something I'd gotten used to in previous software. When wanting to shorten a clip by the easy, most intuitive method of grabbing, there should be a keybinding that temporarily over-rides the default behavior. Like, push CTRL while dragging left, and that makes everything stay in place. That would be nice to have.

RB

It is consistent. It is just a different approach- change to the clip duration should not make the gap larger. But I agree, having possibility to switch the mode of this action would be nice.
From the other hand- if you use multiple tracks, changes on one track will not affect others. So maybe only a change in a workflow is needed?
Br
Marcin
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Yes, that behavior seems inconsistent to me. Make a clip longer, and everything after the clip stays in place. Make it shorter with the same grab-n-drag method makes everything move.

RB

It is consistent. It is just a different approach- change to the clip duration should not make the gap larger. But I agree, having possibility to switch the mode of this action would be nice.
From the other hand- if you use multiple tracks, changes on one track will not affect others. So maybe only a change in a workflow is needed?
Br
Marcin

Hi, Marcin - Thanks for the reply.

Yes, having multiple editing possibilities by using CTRL, ALT, Shift, combinations of those - that would make PD more flexible. More user control to over-ride defaults would make life easier for people who prefer to customize the way a program works.

But at least there's the work-around for shortening a clip without effecting other clips in the track - using the Slice and then "delete leaving gap" method works just fine. It's just not consistent with how we can make clips longer without effecting other clips, and it takes longer than a simple grab-n-drag move.

Much of the time we need all clips on all tracks to move to the left when we shorten a clip, so that's the logical default, but it's fairly common for me to not want anything to shift - It's not true that changes in a clips duration "should not make the gap larger"--In some situations that might be exactly what we want.

And so on - I'm just picturing how some editing would be less cumbersome than it currently is.

RB
MarcinB [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Poland Joined: Jun 15, 2011 14:23 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
But at least there's the work-around for shortening a clip without effecting other clips in the track - using the Slice and then "delete leaving gap" method works just fine. It's just not consistent with how we can make clips longer without effecting other clips, and it takes longer than a simple grab-n-drag move.

I have just thought about another workaround- if multitrack is not convenient, we can use a black colour board or transparent PNG file as a gap, to have it exactly how long as we want it.
It is just up to our creativity in problem-solving
Cheers
Marcin

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 01. 2011 15:38