Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Rendering sections - no change in play back
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
Whenever I Render a segment, my expectation is that something which isn't play back very well, maybe it's jerky, will be rendered at a higher quality so I can get a preview of what the final project will look like.

But so far, whenever I do a render, the play back is exactly the same - I don't get it. In Brand X software, rendering produced a full tilt finished preview of exactly how it would look in the final DVD file. Is PD actually giving me an accurate preview--or what? So far I'm not getting the purpose at all, since the renders are no different from the pre-renders in the time line.

rbowser
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
To be more specific, we all know how transitions from one clip to another are often not smooth while working on a project. There's a jerking action, then a frame freezes, and then it goes on. Only the picture, not the sound.

Those transitions end up smooth in the final burn of the project - but what I was expecting was for the Renders to give me a preview with that kind of bumpiness smoothed out.

I'm not understanding what the purpose of Rendering sections is when the playback is exactly the same as before Rendering.

RB
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
I am a little confused, how are you viewing the rendered clip(s) in timeline?

did you start a new workspace, insert the rendered clip on timeline and preview that?

also what setting are you using for preview display of the rendered clips? Also are you using shadow files .. they can confuse the issue.

if you could clarify the workflow a little, maybe we can figure out what is happening

edit: to clarify, rendering of a portion of a project (ie "producing") creates a new clip, which must then be inserted back into the timeline in place of the rendered portion. PowerDirector does NOT automatically replace the original material in timeline with the rendered version (that is a good thing ... original clips are NEVER modified, you can always go back or use again elsewhere. I hope this helps a little

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 29. 2011 17:10

RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I am a little confused, are you viewing the rendered clip(s) in timeline?

did you start a new workspace, insert the rendered clip on timeline and preview that?

also what setting are you using for preview display of the rendered clips? Also are you using shadow files .. they can confuse the issue.

if you could clarify the workflow a little, maybe we can figure out what is happening

edit: to clarify, rendering of a portion of a project (ie "producing") creates a new clip, which must then be inserted back into the timeline in place of the rendered portion. PowerDirector does NOT automatically replace the original material in timeline with the rendered version (that is a good thing ... original clips are NEVER modified, you can always go back or use again elsewhere. I hope this helps a little

Hello, Rocket Scientist, my faithful respondent.

Well now - I guess I've totally misunderstood the process. What I'm talking about is while having my project open, and there's a bumpy bit I'd like to see better, I mark the area out with the yellow flags, then click Render. A pop-up tells me the section is being rendered. Then when it's through, a green line is now on the time-line for that section. I push play - I thought I was seeing the rendered version.

You mean I have to go look somewhere for this rendered file and bring it back in---? If so, where? In the media bin? In some Cyberlink folder?

Producing clips to import into a project I get - I've been doing a few times now. But that's not the same as Rendering-- is it?

I recently turned off Shadow Files, so that's not involved. And I almost always use the Normal play back setting, it's fine for previewing purposes.

In my previous video editing experience, Rendering a portion of a project was done the same way. You selected a portion of a project, you rendered, a green line would show up. But when you played, it was the Rendered file being played. If you decided you didn't need that Render (actually a pre-render file)--then there was a menu item to empty the Render folder for that project. The original clips weren't effected, the Renders were new versions of the project - and that program recommended doing as many pre-Renders as possible, since it made for a quicker burn at the end of the project.

So - that's my point of reference.

---I have to find and import these Renders--?!

RB
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
that is shadow file being rendered, do you have that feature on or off?

shadow files are frame by frame low resolution version of actual clips. That render command just updates the shadow file for changes. It is unclear in manual if transition and FX are applied to just shadow file until produce stage or if actual clip is also done in parallel. logic would say everything is just applied to shadow file, else why have them, but these are a shortcut, low resolution version, so fancy things might not show up to clearly in the preview window.

I have not played with shadow files much (i always used that as excuss to buy bigger toys)

might not be much help on this one.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 29. 2011 17:31

RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: that is shadow file being rendered, do you have that feature on or off?

shadow files are frame by frame low resolution version of actual clips. That render command just updates the shadow file for changes. It is unclear in manual if transition and FX are applied to just shadow file until produce stage or if actual clip is also done in parallel. logic would say everything is just applied to shadow file, else why have them, but these are a shortcut, low resolution version, so fancy things might not show up to clearly in the preview window.

I have not played with shadow files much (i always used that as excuss to buy bigger toys)

might not be much help on this one.

Hmm, well I have Shadow Files turned off now since I was told my system didn't need that extra boost. So when I do this Render process, I'm not seeing anything change because I don't have SF on--I guess!

This makes these Renders totally different from what I was used to in my previous program. There, the Renders were full tilt, high resolution final files, designed so you could see how a complicated effect would actually play out in the final version. That's more like this work-around thing in PD9 where you produce a file in a mini-project, then import it.

I'll just skip using the Render function then - it's not doing at all what I thought it was supposed to be doing. Oh well!

RB
Rocket-Scientist
[Post New]
produce would be the equivalence to the render in say Vegas Movie studio.

you might have to clear out the old shadow files, they are linked to the project. RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: produce would be the equivalence to the render in say Vegas Movie studio.

you might have to clear out the old shadow files, they are linked to the project.

My old shadow file folder is totally empty. I think I'm OK with this project - I just got hung up thinking I could render some tricky FX laden segments to get a better idea of final production, but that's OK, it doesn't matter. I've been burning complete tests of the project to see for sure what's happening.

Those green bars are still there in the rendered segments of the project file though - Whatever that means.

RB