Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
OK to turn off Shadow Files mid-project?
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
I've left the Shadow Files option on, but see so many references on the forum to people keeping the option off, since Shadow Files use up CPU resources.

According to the manual, Shadow Files are to "speed up the editing of high definition video." But in my largest project, all the video was from a simple little Canon camera, not HD, just medium to low resolution .avi files. -- That project produced a large folder of Shadow Files for all the clips--. So--they aren't just for HD footage?--

Is it safe to now delete those files, turn off Shadow Files, but still be able to do more editing on that project?

rbowser
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi rbowser -

Shadow file production is unnecessary in your case, as you've realised. With that option checked, PD creates a set of SD .MPG files which are used for only for editing. When the video is produced, PD refers to the original clips.

Without creating any problems, you could:
(a) uncheck the shadow files option in Preferences
(b) go to C:\Users\Tony\Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\9.0\ShadowEditFiles & delete the clips

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi rbowser -

Shadow file production is unnecessary in your case, as you've realised. With that option checked, PD creates a set of SD .MPG files which are used for only for editing. When the video is produced, PD refers to the original clips.

Without creating any problems, you could:
(a) uncheck the shadow files option in Preferences
(b) go to C:\Users\Tony\Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\9.0\ShadowEditFiles & delete the clips

Cheers - Tony

Great, Tony - Thanks for another helpful post. I was pretty sure it would be OK to do as you say, but I wanted to make sure.

RB