Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Trouble with first VOB file
inside99 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 21, 2011 19:58 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Howdie!

I am trying to import VOB files from a DVD (they are on my hard drive). There are 5 VOB files. The last 4 can be imported and edited just fine. The very first VOB file VTS_01_1 can not be imported into PD9. This is happening with every DVD I have even from multiple souces. I am getting a pop up box that states this file may be corrupted or not a usable format, etc. Sometimes it even crashes PD9.

When I try to import the file, I can see it in the RichVideo Information box and can even view it. When I then try to open it, no deal.

I am thinking this has something to do with the fact the menu is on the first VOB file? Not sure. Anyone else ever encounter this problem? Thanx.

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I transfer VHS tapes with a stand alone VCR/DVD recorder.

I copy the files on the DVD to a folder on my hard drive.

Then I import all of the VOB files from that folder into Powerdirector 9. I have no problem with any of the VOB files.

VIDEO_TS.VOB is the menu.
VTS_01_1.VOB is the first video file of title 1.

If you have a VTS_02_?? you have a second title.
If you have a VTS_03_?? that would be the third title and so on.

Are you ripping copyrighted DVDs? Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

inside99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Carl312

These are DVDs that were recorded directly from my camcorder. Another was recorded directly to my DVD player hooked up to the television. No copyrights.

VTS_01_2.VOB
VTS_01_3.VOB
VTS_01_4.VOB

They all work fine when I import them in PD9. Only the VTS_01_1.VOB won't work. And it is that way for all of the DVDs regardless of the source (camcorder or TV/DVD player recording).

I have a full licensed version of PD9 downloaded directly from Cyberlink. Using build 2330.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Can you play the VTS_01_1.VOB file on anything on your computer.

There are several players that will play VOB files.

The free VLC media player will play VOB files.
Windows Media Player will also play them if you have the codecs installed.

MediaInfo will report the infomation about the file. (Post the MediaInfo.TXT file).
MediaInfo is a free download, and is also in the package with K-Lite Codec packs.

I want to find out if you can play that first VOB.
If you can play VTS_01_1.VOB, then you can convert it to a MPEG2 file. Plenty of file converters around.
I have seen a few recommended in this forum.

One I remember is named Format Factory.
CyberLink MediaEspresso will convert VOB to Mpeg2.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 24. 2011 10:31

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Carl312
[Post New]
I have a full licensed version of PD9 downloaded directly from Cyberlink. Using build 2330.

You might consider updating, the latest patch is 3305.

http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_US.html

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

inside99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I cannot view that first VOB file in VLC player. I can view it on my DVD player when it starts up. I can also view it in my AoA DVD Ripper software.

I can convert that first file to another form. I tried converting it to a wmv file and that worked. Then I just opened that in PD9 but lost some quality of the video. I don't wish to do this with every recording so have to find out why that first VOB file cannot be opened. Again, doesn't matter what source I used to record (either by camcorder or DVD player) I cannot read that first file.

Am downloading new build file now.
inside99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
No fix with the build 3350 update.

I found out that when I transfer some of these first VOB files from the DVD to the computer hard drive, they will not copy because of a CRC error (bad data).

I cannot figure out why all my recordings even from different sources are doing this.
Carl312
[Post New]
I cannot figure out why all my recordings even from different sources are doing this.

Maybe they have some form of copy protection.
These are DVDs that were recorded directly from my camcorder. Another was recorded directly to my DVD player hooked up to the television. No copyrights.

You said Player, do you mean a DVD Recorder? Players do not record.

Maybe there is some noise in the first few seconds of your source.

There is a known problem in Powerdirector. PD throws up a copyright message if there is Noise in the the recording. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

inside99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry, I mean a DVD recorder hooked up to my television. I have never received a copyright message. Would think that would be the case for all VOB files, not just the first one.

When I try to open that first VOB file in PD9 it crashes and closes automatically now.

What I have not done yet is import the media directly from my camera into PD9. I have burned a DVD first and then tried to load. But again, used different DVD burners and both crash the first file.

All this has to do with some way in which the DVDs are being burned. Once I got the CRC message while trying to copy from DVD to my hard drive I knew there was bad data in this file. But the DVD still plays great in all my players.

HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: What I have not done yet is import the media directly from my camera into PD9. I have burned a DVD first and then tried to load.

I don't see this information, what is the camera make and model? What is the video source type from the camera? Are the original source files recorded to tape or to digital files?

The answers to these questions may help with finding the solution.

Hal

OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
Carl312
[Post New]
What I have not done yet is import the media directly from my camera into PD9. I have burned a DVD first and then tried to load. But again, used different DVD burners and both crash the first file.

This is probably the source of your problems.

Try copying the camera video to your hard drive, then import that video into PD9.
Depending on your camera (Model number please) PD9 can import nearly all video camera files.

It is always best to use the direct source video, not a second copy.

Since you are using a DVD Recorder, are you finalizing the DVD before using in PD9 or another player.

[Post New]
I use the DVD Shrink to copy the DVD-VR to PC, because has option to create only one file .VOB, then add in PD9 normal. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
inside99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, importing directly from the camera to the hard drive worked great. No problems bringing it in with PD9. Now I know this is a DVD burning issue.

The second part is the content recorded from television with my DVD recorder. Yes, I have always finalized the recordings. I am using a JVC DR-MV77SU DVD recorder. Cannot view that first file still with each recording.

I have been able to load the DVDs with those bad VOB first files into AoA Ripper on my computer and create one large file. Then it did work in PD9. So this allowed me to use the content I was having trouble with. But it's an extra step.

Thanks so much for the help here!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 26. 2011 16:26