Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Copyright Protection Issues
MJD1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 17, 2011 10:16 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I am trying to digitize some personal videos I've made on a camcorder, copying them to a PC using a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1800 board and PowerDirector 9 64 bit v 9.0.0.3305. These are all personal tapes (birthday parties, etc.), so there should be no copyright issue - but recording keeps stopping with the message that the source material is copyright protected.

When I connect the camcorder directly to a TV, the video signal looks fine. But when I monitor the video signal on the computer monitor while recording to the computer, periodically I see "glitches" that disrupt the video signal. Eventually, the strength of one of the "glitches" becomes strong enough that the recording software stops, indicating that the material is copyright protected. On a given tape, recording stops at the same location each time I try.

I have also added a digital stabilizer between the camcorder source and the video input board (Video Filter from http://home.roadrunner.com/~filter/, which gets very high reviews on avsforum.com), but this has not solved the problem. With the stabilizer in line, I still get the copyright protection error (but sometimes in different places on the tape).

I have experienced this problem with multiple tapes, and with multiple inputs (also when trying to record from a VCR with a non-copyrighted source). I've attached a short clip with an example of the "glitch" that initiates the copyright protection stop. Again - this is not seen when hooking the camcorder directly to a TV. I've also attached a DxDiag dump for reference.

I'd really like to be able to transfer these tapes to digital form, and purchased PowerDirector specifically for this purpose - but am now running into this problem. Thanks for any help.
 Filename
Copyright Protection Error.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
Copy Protection Error
 Filesize
1933 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
305 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag
 Filesize
40 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
234 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 20. 2011 08:28

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
This has occurred before.

The cause is noise on the tape.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/14415.page#68700
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
Have had this problem with old VHS tapes and some old 8mm (not Hi-8 ). The only sure solution I found was to run them thru a DV camcorder

vhs -> DV -> computer or 8mm -> dv -> compuetr

The dv camcorder replaces all the timing errors which PD9 thinks is macrovision protection scheme.

A time base corrector (full frame buffer type) will also solve this.

You might try Windows Live Media Center, has input function which is not as sensitive as PD9.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 20. 2011 17:04

RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU