Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
AV Sync Issue in Preview...
n_s_simpson [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 18, 2010 20:10 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
Hiya

I've reinstalled Windows 7 64-bit including every update.
I've reinstalled PowerDirector 9 including the 3305 update.

Before doing this I was halfway through editing a video track. I have reloaded this track but now find that when previewing from the timeline the audio and video is out of sync. It seems to get worse as I play it with the video lagging behind the audio.

When previewing the raw video within PD9 (i.e. not from the timeline) it plays fine.

I don't know what's going on because it was working fine until I reinstalled everything. I did install a few different codecs, and AV Splitters and remember getting a little icon in the TaskBar when previewing in PD (icon looked like a flame from memory). I did this long before installing PowerDirector when I was playing around with streaming videos from my PC so I'm not sure if this is the reason why it worked.

I've attached the DXDiag just in case you need to see them.

If anyone has a suggestion I'm all ears.

Thanks

Nick
 Filename
DxDiag-64bit.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
32 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
323 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag-32bit.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
25 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
335 time(s)
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
i see you have a blueray burner, so i am guessing you might be doing HD video, your system with only 3GB of memory will definitely struggle with HD. your disks are also pretty full, so defragging and cleaning uo some more space might help.

are you using shadow files?

the newest version(s) of PD9 will require MORE memory, as the program gets more and more complicated as it grows. RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
n_s_simpson [Avatar]
[Post New]
I can add 1 extra GB of memory and then it's maxed out. I can also clean my HDD's but my Windows drive has lots of space. I have enabled shaddow files but it didn't alter anything. I've also tried changing all the settings with PD without any success.

It is HD video that I'm editing but my system processed it fine until I reformatted the system. I'm puzzled

Thanks

Nick
n_s_simpson [Avatar]
[Post New]
Does anyone else have ideas as to why my PC would run the preview in sync but since reinstalling won't?

I'm assuming it's some third party sortware that I installed but I have no idea what. Everything I've tried has so far failed to resolve the problem.
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I posted a long offering describing using diagnostic booting, goodness knows where it is...

anyway, if you start from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Using-System-Configuration you can get the info for yourself. It may seem complicated, but what you want to do is start your system with no resident programs or dlls, which will include codecs, which are oftent the root cause of the problem. Assuming PD works with nothing resident (apart from what it asks for on starting the program, which is OK to do) then you progressively add back all the resident services and dlls.

It really is strikingly simple, yet everyone is put off by the amount of words involved in describing the procedure. I think it mentions creating a restore point first in case you make a balls-up. Open up the diagnostic bit at the bottom of the page.

this is the surest way of sorting it out RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
n_s_simpson [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the suggestion. In diagnostic mode PowerDirector only asked to start the RichVideo service but there was no audio when playing the preview. Unfortunately, I've not been able to get the audio services running and I've tried lots of suggestions on the web relating to other dependant services but I'm stumped.

It's really fustrating not knowing why processing HD video worked before reinstalling Windows. Do people tend to use PD without installing other codecs, AV Splitters, etc? Do I have an unusual issue?
Rocket-Scientist
[Post New]
It is probably a single software that is interferring, you just have to figure out which.

I have many video related packages installed happily working together. But I always image my system disk before any new install, then install. If any problems occur I can be backup and running In a few minutes. For some reason (beyond my understanding) the built in windows set restore point scheme did not always restore to same configuration (after a few complete rebuilt from scratch episodes, I went full back, install, try method) RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
n_s_simpson [Avatar]
[Post New]
I reinstalled Windows, installed all updates then installed PowerDirector. The sync issue was there from the start before installing anything else.

I've read that some of the AVSplitters, such as FFDshow are very efficient and I know I had other stuff installed before reformatting everything. It's just trying to work out what I had installed that made PowerDirector run properly that I'm struggling with.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
n_s_simpson,

I downloaded the manual for your computer.

That computer is not capable of editing HD files in PD9. The Maxium memory supported is 4 GB.
You just do not have enough computer.

Filename
Mainboard Specifications.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Specs from the PDF file for MS-7379VP
 Filesize
1 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
260 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 20. 2011 10:03

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

n_s_simpson [Avatar]
[Post New]
It's just that the machine worked fine until I reformatted it. The preview was lovely and smooth and in sync. That's the frustrating part.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Then update the video driver if you can.

You just do not have enough computer for HD editing.

You can also lower the preview resolution under the preview viewer. It is the rectangle just under the Frame time counter.
You must have something in the timeline to see the preview resolution choices.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

n_s_simpson [Avatar]
[Post New]
I know my PC isn't the best but it coped perfectly until reformatting.

When I ran PD I got an icon in the task bar so obviously another program was overriding the usual way of rendering the preview. I'm just trying to work out what I had installed last time. So far I've tried CCCP, FFDShow and FFDShow64... no luck so far.

The normal work PC I use is much more powerful but PD crashed constantly, which is why I tried my home PC and found it to be much more stable. Now perhaps I can switch back to the work PC since their was an update released that may make things more stable (I thought the ATI card wasn't liked by PD so thought that since my home PC used NVidia it would be best to use that).
n_s_simpson [Avatar]
[Post New]
Aha, I think I've got it. Although I've enabled shadow files (which I assume I enabled before reinstalling Windows) the HD video file I'm trying to edit has not completed so I'm trying to preview the HD content. It seems to be taking ages to complete and I just never noticed until now. Another HD video in the same project has finished being shadowed and I can preview that fine.

Funny I've never noticed this before but that's the only thing I can think of.

Is it worth trying the PC I have at work? I just found that PD crashed constantly but I haven't tried it since the latest update. The spec of the PC is:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/downloadAttach/4946.page

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 20. 2011 18:57

Carl312
[Post New]
Is it worth trying the PC I have at work? I just found that PD crashed constantly but I haven't tried it since the latest update. The spec of the PC is:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/downloadAttach/4946.page

It is not much better. That is the 32 bit dxdiag.txt file, dxdiag also has a 64 bit version.

It also only has 4 GB of ram, but it does have a lot more free space on the C: drive.

The Video Card only has 512 MB of Dedicated Memory, which is enough, but don't expect much performance.

For HD video editing you need a much more powerful computer.

n_s_simpson [Avatar]
[Post New]
So what do you recommend I buy for this PC?
Carl312
[Post New]
So what do you recommend I buy for this PC?

I recommend that you start by looking at the most powerful computers for sale today.

Intel i7 or AMD Phenom™ II Processors.
Those are the current crop of the fastest processors available now.
A good list of high power processors and their benchmark.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

You want Windows 7 64 Bit and at least 8 GB of RAM, more is better.

For a Video card find one in the high numbers on this list.
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

If you look for high power Gaming computers you are near where you want to be.
But, Gaming does not put the stress on a computer like High Definition Video Editing does.

Edit: I forgot to say, and the biggest hard drive you can afford, 1 TB and 2 TB drives are easy to find.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 21. 2011 11:00

n_s_simpson [Avatar]
[Post New]
It's an i7 machine so we're half way there

So I need to get an extra 4GB of Ram and a better graphics card and I'll be laughing.

Thanks

Nick
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
33 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
422 time(s)
Carl312
[Post New]
n_s_simpson ,

You need a better Video card also.

From your Dxdiag.txt.
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc. (no Model number)
Dedicated Memory: 503 MB

Not enough Memory, minimum should be 1 GB. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

n_s_simpson [Avatar]
[Post New]
A graphics card and video card is the same thing isn't it

Is ATI or NVidia best?
Carl312
[Post New]
Don't start a debate on which video card is better.

Some editors use Nivida and stand by them.
Some Editors use AMD/ATI and swear by (or at them, Joke).

It is a matter choice.

From my Sig, you see I have an ATI. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.