Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
A particular de-interlacing procedure for still pictures?
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
I'm relatively happy with the video I as finally able to show my wife tonight of our vacation in Russia. But during the first segment that featured a lot of still pictures, and they were flickering like crazy, she asked, "Did you do that flickering effect on purpose?"--

She, of course, was referring to the flickering of stills without proper de-interlacing applied to them.

Where, how do I fix that with stills in PD9? I knew what to do in the brand X software I previously used - I was ridiculously hoping the problem would just not crop up in the first big PD9 project which features so many still photos.

I gotta fix it - those flickering pictures are enough to put you into a trance watching them!

rbowser
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Flickering of stills is not normal.

Still photographs do not need deinterlacing, they are progressive by the still camera that made them.
Now, if you took screen captures, that is a different story.

Please attach a screen shot of your edit space, and if possible a short clip (10 seconds or so) of your problem.
No need to ZIP or RAR, the forum can handle the files directly.

Some information about the source of your stills and the size of the original photos.

I have made several slide shows using my own photos shot with a 35 mm camera. I do not see any sign of flickering.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Flickering of stills is not normal.

Still photographs do not need deinterlacing, they are progressive by the still camera that made them.
Now, if you took screen captures, that is a different story.

Please attach a screen shot of your edit space, and if possible a short clip (10 seconds or so) of your problem.
No need to ZIP or RAR, the forum can handle the files directly.

Some information about the source of your stills and the size of the original photos.

I have made several slide shows using my own photos shot with a 35 mm camera. I do not see any sign of flickering.

Hi, Carl - Thanks for the reply.

I took a screen shot of one of the sections where photos are flickering, like the one in the preview window does. Notice those photos have Magic Motion on them - Once photos are moving in a video, they need de-interlacing, don't they?-- But I don't see an option to selectively de-interlace single elements--.

These were taken with a little Canon Power Shot A590. The photos are 1600x1200, 773 KBs.

I would post a short video clip also, -but we can't produce portions of projects can we? I could do a video screen shot, but that wouldn't be the same.

And, to be sure you understand - the flickering can't be seen on my computer monitors. It was a total surprise to me when I saw the flickering only on the TV screen while playing a DVD copy.

EDIT: I wanted to add that photographs which were produced as PD slide shows had no flicker. Just the ones sitting independently in tracks, with motion automation added to them.

rbowser

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 19. 2011 10:33

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
And, to be sure you understand - the flickering can't be seen on my computer monitors. It was a total surprise to me when I saw the flickering only on the TV screen while playing a DVD copy.

Yes, the flickering would be pronounced on a TV screen, two things that use interlacing.

A DVD is interlaced and of course a TV set is interlaced. If the two have conflicting scan order it could get pretty bad.

Your monitor is progressive scan. So no flicker.

Magic Motion should be used sparely. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:

Yes, the flickering would be pronounced on a TV screen, two things that use interlacing.

A DVD is interlaced and of course a TV set is interlaced. If the two have conflicting scan order it could get pretty bad.

Your monitor is progressive scan. So no flicker.

Magic Motion should be used sparely.

Thanks for the new reply, Carl.

I'm disappointed that there doesn't seem to be a way to work on de-interlacing, working with the field options on a per-photo basis. In my previous program, each bit of media could have its own settings, so when a photo was flickering during movement automation, it could be eliminated, but settings for that one photo didn't effect the rest of the project.

I do use motion sparingly, just moving a sprinkling of photos in the video to give a variety of looks to photos, and to avoid a preponderance of static shots.

I suppose problematic pictures can be tweaked in an outside program before being imported. - hmmm. Well darn. After two weeks of working on this video, I really don't want to start swapping out pictures, adding more time to the project. So, next time I'll see about changing the field order in photos before importing--Unless I'm mistaken, and there Is a way to de-interlace single photos in PD9.

rbowser