Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
DVD files burned in 3305 FREEZE - Please investigate UPDATE: MP4s only
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
I'll stay more calm than last time I reported what I temporarily thought was a bug. A simple re-booting of my computer was all that was needed in that case when text wasn't behaving in the menu editor.

--This issue was just confirmed on another thread of mine. It was the last post, a bit off topic from the thread, and will be lost. Here's that thread--the last post, #5 from Xerox:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/19032.page#99510

DVD's burned in 3305 will stick on a frame of the movie early on, and remain on that while the sound track continues.

I made three versions of a project last night, all the same. While still in PD9, everything plays fine. Burn DVD to folder - check on it - The playback sticks on a frame and doesn't let go.

I burned one to disc, in case somehow that would be different. It wasn't.

Now I've tested with another project. Same Thing.

----Please test this. I thought it had to be something I'm doing wrong, but to see Xerox confirming the exact same problem makes it sound like this could be a genuine bug in the 3305 update. And if it is--well, of course it renders the software useless to anyone wanting to make DVDs.

rbowser

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 19. 2011 16:07

SeptimusFry
Senior Member Location: Brittany, France Joined: Feb 02, 2008 12:43 Messages: 243 Offline
[Post New]
I am still on 2930 and have a similar problem. I have a DVD project of about 10mins which will play all the way through on PDVD9, but stops on 3 different DVD players. I just wonder if this has happened to anyone before? I am not yet very worried, as there may be something silly I have done and will try regenerating the DVD in the near future, as is my best suggestion for rBowser

[edit] It just happens to be the first DVD I made with chapters.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 18. 2011 16:25

i7 980x; W7 Pro; 12GB; Nvidia GTX 285; 2x300G Velociraptors in Raid 0; 2x1.5TB Barracuda in Raid 1; 2TB WD Studio Ed.II (eSATA); NEC SpectraView Reference 2690 + MultiSync EA232
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Yeah, appears to be another serious hack. All I'll say is I've seen the issue too in this 3305 release; it appears to be SVRT related and tied to bitrate. I've found knobs to get around it with a 3rd party code so can't discuss. CL really needs to work SVRT and provide something that works not just new bugs with it all the time. For me SVRT appears to be an evolving/changing issue over many releases, not really better, just churn.

Jeff
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the replies, JL_JL and SeptimusFry -

I've tried numerous things and am still unable to burn a DVD folder that doesn't stick. In the previous build, I had no problem.

I really need to know if anyone is able to successfully burn to a DVD folder with 3305 - I need to get some discs made pronto, and will need to roll back to the previous build if that's the only option.

So, I hope other forum members can please investigate.

rbowser
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
I know this is not a fix, but it will get you around the problem at least on my rig and my files that don't burn correctly to DVD in this new PD9 3305 build. If you "Produce" your entire project first using the default DVD HQ profile (no user mods), and then bring this produced footage back into PD9 3305, add chapters and then make the DVD things are okay.

Jeff
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I know this is not a fix, but it will get you around the problem at least on my rig and my files that don't burn correctly to DVD in this new PD9 3305 build. If you "Produce" your entire project first using the default DVD HQ profile (no user mods), and then bring this produced footage back into PD9 3305, add chapters and then make the DVD things are okay.

Jeff

Thanks for the new reply, Jeff.

I think the problem I've had with DVD files not working out is due to the source material. Xerox said on another thread that he was having the exact same problem of a video frame freezing, but he didn't mention what the source material was. I was hoping other members would check in on this possible problem with 3305, either confirming or not confirming the same problem.

I'll start another thread more specific to the problem, which appears now to be in using MP4s as the source-- Today I've successfully burned a file and then a disc from files that were all mpegs, so at least I know that under more normal circumstances, the current build will probably work OK for me.

rbowser
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I'll start another thread more specific to the problem, which appears now to be in using MP4s as the source-- Today I've successfully burned a file and then a disc from files that were all mpegs, so at least I know that under more normal circumstances, the current build will probably work OK for me

I mentioned earlier I had the same DVD issue as both you and Xerox indicated in 3305, I can get the issue to appear with MPEG2 as the source files so it's not necessarily your MP4s.

For all my trouble MPEG2 files, going the "Produce" route has corrected the issue and allowed a successful DVD folder. When unsuccessful you will see a big disconnect between the sizes of the DVD folder written vs minutes of video, folder size way too small for DVD HQ profile. For my MPEG2 files the issue appears to be triggered by true CBR files with a bitrate very near the SVRT threshold, 8300Kbps. The produce creates a CVBR file which appears to get around the DVD folder playback issue for MPEGs.

Jeff
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:

I mentioned earlier I had the same DVD issue as both you and Xerox indicated in 3305, I can get the issue to appear with MPEG2 as the source files so it's not necessarily your MP4s.

For all my trouble MPEG2 files, going the "Produce" route has corrected the issue and allowed a successful DVD folder. When unsuccessful you will see a big disconnect between the sizes of the DVD folder written vs minutes of video, folder size way too small for DVD HQ profile. For my MPEG2 files the issue appears to be triggered by true CBR files with a bitrate very near the SVRT threshold, 8300Kbps. The produce creates a CVBR file which appears to get around the DVD folder playback issue for MPEGs.

Jeff

Thanks for the post, Jeff - At least I've been able to burn to folder and disc, my most important current project. It consisted of only mpeg files.

I'll try again with these MP4 projects, producing, starting over with the complex menus I made etc - I was hoping, obviously, that converting to mpegs and replacing the MP4s with those new files would do the trick. I don't understand why producing would do a different job, since it's basically a conversion process also - but there's nothing else to try. I was just avoiding having to start all over with the work I've already done.

rbowser
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
My files were MP4 (1920x1080p 29.97 AVC) from a Kodak PlayTouch.

The reason I posted in the other thread was because I noticed freezing in the Preview window as well, and I thought that whatever was causing the freezing in the Preview window may be causing the freezing on the DVD.

I really hate to install 3305 for the 5th time to test other file types besides my MP4s.

I'm wondering if an earlier version of Quicktime might change things. Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: My files were MP4 (1920x1080p 29.97 AVC) from a Kodak PlayTouch.

The reason I posted in the other thread was because I noticed freezing in the Preview window as well, and I thought that whatever was causing the freezing in the Preview window may be causing the freezing on the DVD.

I really hate to install 3305 for the 5th time to test other file types besides my MP4s.

I'm wondering if an earlier version of Quicktime might change things.

Hi, Xerox - Good to see you checking in on this again. I don't think anyone else here has yet reported having this problem with MP4s - but I imagine there are people here who would have frozen DVD files done from MP4s if they'd run a test.

I didn't have any freezing while in production inside the program. That's why it was such a surprise to see this freeze frame thing happening when I tried playing the DVD folder.

Jeff - I'll be trying out the Produce and re-import thing with one of these MP4s, and see how that goes. I'm afraid the rest of your post was over my head, but I'm sure it was good stuff! hehe.

rbowser
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
Well, I installed 3305 again. I tried to Produce an MPEG-2 file with my MP4s as source, but just like on the DVD, some of the clips were frozen. I even uninstalled Quicktime, but that didn't make any difference.

What I ended up doing is using GoPro's CineForm codec to encode my MP4s to AVIs using a 3rd party batch converter. Then I used the AVIs on the timeline. I was able to burn a DVD without issue. Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Well, I installed 3305 again. I tried to Produce an MPEG-2 file with my MP4s as source, but just like on the DVD, some of the clips were frozen. I even uninstalled Quicktime, but that didn't make any difference.

What I ended up doing is using GoPro's CineForm codec to encode my MP4s to AVIs using a 3rd party batch converter. Then I used the AVIs on the timeline. I was able to burn a DVD without issue.

Thanks for the update, Xerox. I'll try that - I hadn't tried conversion to AVI yet, because in my earliest experiments with PD9, when I used AVIs, a 2 hour project was going to take 25 hours to burn!-- As soon as I converted them to MPEG, then all went fine. Hmmm. But I've been avoiding AVIs ever since.

I'm using Media Espresso to do the conversion - That seems like a good app, and cool that it comes with PD9.

rbowser
MarcinB [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Poland Joined: Jun 15, 2011 14:23 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Hi!
I must report that I'm hitting the same issue. To make it worst- I'm experiencing this "frame freeze" not only during DVD creation, but also during MPEG-2 creation, so the "produce- create DVD" path is not working for me .
The problem seems to be completely random, as the movie freezes at different moment at each produce.
I will check if I have the same issue with the project with the previous build and send update here.

Marcin