Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I really need help understanding DVD burn settings
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
I've burned a few projects now, I've tried understanding threads I've looked up - but I'm still just not getting what I'm supposed to do when I want to burn to DVD.

In my previous experience, the video software I used had a slider which you moved up until you hit the save zone of 4.3 gigs when you were getting down to burning a project to disc. No doubts that your project, no matter how long it was, would fit on a regular single layer DVD disc. I did plenty of things that were 1 1/2 hours, 2 hours, and they looked fine.

Now in PD9, I'm seeing the info everywhere that 1 hour is the max, and that I should go to double density discs for longer things. I don't want to do that. For one, my DVD player can't even handle double density discs.

The settings for burning to DVD are so scant - Best Fit sounds promising, but the predicted size it comes up with is totally wrong, as has been noted often on the forum. But if I try to ignore that and use Standard - then I'm not even allowed to burn to disc because the predicted size is too large.

I can Produce the project - but then I can't get menus.-- Does a Produced project magically show up as the right size if I re-import and do the menu again?

It's very frustrating - and my most important project is now almost ready to be saved so I can start making DVD copies of it. It's 1 1/2 hours.

I don't understand what I'm supposed to do. That's basically it. Any tips--besides using a double density disc which I'm not going to do?-- This step was a total no-brainer in my previous program. I filled the disc up almost to its max, and was very happy with the results - precisely because I could manually control the quality of the output so that it would fit on the disc. Isn't there Anything like that in PD9--?

---argh.

rbowser
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

Try using the "Smart Fit" feature. This will "automatically" fit your project to a DVD disc.

Or, use the "Burn to File" feature and then use another burning software eg Roxio to burn your files.

Please note that your project files (MPEG2/4/AVCHD etc) ultimately will have a bearing on the size you can fit on your DVD as they only hold 4.7GB of media.

Four years ago I was getting nearly 2 hours of Standard Definition footage onto a DVD - now it's more like 50 mins as I'm now using High Definition files. I have since 'moved on' to Blu-Ray.

Hope this info helps

Happy editing Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Howdy, Neil - Much thanks for the reply.

I've been using Smart Fit, but what's bothering me is that the info at the bottom always says the project will be about 4.2 gigs, and then comes in at half that. This means the final output could have been of much higher quality-- But if I choose Standard Quality - it won't allow me to burn the file because the predicted size is too big.

It's so aggravating that PD isn't accurately calculating the actual size of a project--

And I never burn directly to disc. I burn to file - and then use Nero to actually burn to disc. That's not a problem - I'm just concerned about getting the highest quality on a good old fashioned DVD. I don't have a Blu-Ray player, so I'm not interested in burning in that format.

It's still not computing to me--Why did Brand X software allow me to really fill up a disc, getting the highest quality possible out of the source material, while PD9, using Smart Fit, is only filling up my discs to less than 1/2, greatly reducing the quality - but I'm given no tools to fix that. It says the file will be 4.2, but it ends up only 2 gigs. grrrrrrr. I don't get it.

rbowser

Quote: Hi

Try using the "Smart Fit" feature. This will "automatically" fit your project to a DVD disc.

Or, use the "Burn to File" feature and then use another burning software eg Roxio to burn your files.

Please note that your project files (MPEG2/4/AVCHD etc) ultimately will have a bearing on the size you can fit on your DVD as they only hold 4.7GB of media.

Four years ago I was getting nearly 2 hours of Standard Definition footage onto a DVD - now it's more like 50 mins as I'm now using High Definition files. I have since 'moved on' to Blu-Ray.

Hope this info helps

Happy editing
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi rbowser

I also found the info given by PD about the size of the project was incorrect - I would always uncheck burn project and check burn to a folder first then use my trusted Nero to burn the files to DVD.

I don't know why the file size is different between PD and the burn folder, it could have something to do with re-rendering the files prior to burning them to disc. Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the new reply -Yes, I've seen it often said that PD is wrong in its project calculation size.

But I AM burning to folder and using Nero to go to disc. What I'm saying is that I want the largest file/best quality possible when I go to folder - and still have it fit on the disc later.

Well, I guess I'm doing all that can be done. I just don't get why I have to end up with an 1 1/2 hour file which is under 3 gigs, I mean, that doesn't make sense.--Dang I wish there was a manual quality setting so I could inch it up to the max, like in my old program.

Long story I won't tell here why I had to bag that program--but geez I'm missing so many areas where the user had control, and wasn't stuck with all these minimal choice pre-sets.

Aaaand I'm through with this for tonight. Thanks for your replies.

rbowser

Quote: Hi rbowser

I also found the info given by PD about the size of the project was incorrect - I would always uncheck burn project and check burn to a folder first then use my trusted Nero to burn the files to DVD.

I don't know why the file size is different between PD and the burn folder, it could have something to do with re-rendering the files prior to burning them to disc.