Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Clips randomly becoming un-linked and shifting
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
What could be causing this? I'll work through my project again, and I'll find video clips with the sound track shifted to the right, un-linked and out of sync with the video. I never un-linked these clips. To fix them, I'm having to un-link them again - because even though the sound has shifted, the clip is actually still linked. So I un-link, shift the sound back to where it belongs.

--Need I add, it's a bit maddening?

Ideas?

rbowser
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi rbowser
The "ShiftDelete" issue as I've named it is a real pain. Caused when a project is being edited and you pick up on an earlier section which you alter. Regardless of the settings selected in Preferences the audio/video can be decoupled and lose connection to the correct link point BUT are still linked.

The only workaround is to use a new track for certain types of editing BUT even that doesn't work all the time.

Sorry I don't have a solution, but the issue is known and has been reported.

edited - typo errors

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 14. 2011 07:08

rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi rbowser
The "ShiftDelete" issue as I've named it is a real pain. Caused when a project is being edited and you pick up on an earlier section which you alter. Regardless of the settings selected in Preferences the audio/video can be decoupled and lose connection to the correct link point BUT are still linked.

The only workaround is to use a new track for certain types of editing BUT even that doesn't work all the time.

Sorry I don't have a solution, but the issue is known and has been reported.

Thanks for that info, Dafydd - Just now I used the forum's search engine, and "Shift Delete" brought up several threads about this problem. This one from Dale is helpful, as were the others:

"...Yep, there is a shift issue bug in PD9. I found out what caused it, so I've been working around it, but it slows me down in the projects. Here's what happens: let's say you have a bunch of video tracks in the video timeline, and you unlink a few of them and delete the audio portion, so that now you just have the videos there. If you then try to take those video clips and move them around in the timeline, it shifts ALL the rest of the video clips off their audio tracks without unlinking them. So I have to go back to each video track, unlink each one, align them, link each one, etc..."

In my case, I've been deleting video from copies of video clips so I can use just the sound track. To keep the ambient sound continuous when I switch from video to snapshots, I've been using the video sound track under the stills. The effect is good, but as in the quote above, this causes the Shift Delete problem on clips to the right of those edits.

Looks like I need to start using more tracks. I've just been avoiding having more than I can see on the screen without much vertical scrolling - On my monitor, I can see about 11 video tracks with the track size on Small. But I'll just start adding more tracks, after all there are 100 available, and doing these kinds of edits there - Hopefully that will at least minimize this bug.

Need I add - I sure hope the Cyberlink programmers are taking this problem seriously. It's rather major.

rbowser