Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Possible to temporarily over-ride "Link all tracks..."--?
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
I know in Preferences, an important setting is "Link all tracks when inserting/removing content in timeline." Usually, I need that preference checked. But there are cases where I need to insert something and Not have everything else in the project move.

So far the only way I know of changing that is to keep opening Preferences and either checking or un-checking.

I was hoping there was a keystroke combination, like Ctrl+insert, that would temporarily over-ride the basic setting.

Is there one?

rbowser
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
rbowser,

You should be able to use the track lock on the left side.

Lock the tracks that you don't want to move while you insert your media.

Just remember to unlock the tracks when done.

Hal
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
A reason to demand "Lock/Unlock" all other tracks in the next patch or next PD. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the replies, Hal and Barry -

For a smaller project, locking and unlocking the tracks would work fine. But temporarily changing preferences is a faster maneuver when the track count is getting up there.

Good point, Barry, that a Lock/Unlock All (other) button would be a useful improvement.

rbowser
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/16947.page#85355 Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
bdowns3 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 04, 2009 18:59 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I'm trying to edit video from two different cameras, but using only one of their audio tracks. Being able to lock video tracks in time would be useful indeed to keep things in sync. Please.
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I'm trying to edit video from two different cameras, but using only one of their audio tracks. Being able to lock video tracks in time would be useful indeed to keep things in sync. Please.

Hi, bdowns - But you can lock tracks, as Barry pointed out. You only have two tracks - lock the audio you're using, and match up the footage. When I started this thread, I had bazillion tracks, and individually locking and un-locking wasn't practical, but as per Barry's answer, with fewer tracks, those locks are handy.

RB
bdowns3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm sorry, I didn't explain clearly enough what I meant.

I know you can just lock the track, but then you can't do anything with it. What I want to do is be able to edit the track without having the whole thing jump to the left every time I delete something. That way, once I have it lined up, I don't have to keep re-aligning it...I can just cut the video as needed. Ideally, I'd like to be able to lock it horizontally while still being able to edit, but at least have it so it doesn't move every time I make an edit. If there's a simple way to do this, then I'm a noob and I'm not seeing it.

Thanks!
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hiya, Bedowns - Sounds like you need to go to Preferences (the gear on the right side of the top menu), and under Editing, un-check the default which links all clips when you're inserting and deleting things.

RB
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
bdowns3,

There are two ways to remove media from a track and leave the remainder of the track as is.

1 - Right click the section to remove and select 'Remove and Leave Gap'.
2 - Drag the clip to be removed to another track then delete.

I use an extra track as a working track in all projects for temporary storage of sections I remove. Once I am sure I do not want the bits of clips, I will remove them from the working track. Click on the eye on the left side of the working track (both video and audio) so the track will not be seen or heard.

Hal

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 03. 2011 21:01

OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
bdowns3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
RB, thanks, but that's how it is already. I checked it, just to see if that made a difference. It didn't. It's currently unchecked.

Hal, thanks. I don't get an option to "Remove and Leave Gap" when I right click a section. I only get Copy, Cut and Remove. The last two have identical functionality, as far as I can tell...both doing what I don't want it to do. However, dragging the clip to an extra track DOES work, so at least I'm further along than I was.

Thanks, guys.

Bill
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi bdrowns3,

Just chiming in to agree, as HalCon nailed it!
The…
1 - Right click the section to remove and select 'Remove and Leave Gap'.
2 - Drag the clip to be removed to another track then delete.
…are the 2 most important options/tools you have in PD9, when editing within a track that is populated with other media. PD9 is very different than PD8 in that respect.

Edit: Are you on PD9 build 2930 or later? If so Remove Leave Gap should be there in the rightclick menu. http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_US.html

Link/Un-Link All Tracks in Preferences, is only for controlling the shifting of media in adjacent tracks.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 03. 2011 21:58

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Cranston
[Post New]
My reply double posted for some reason - deleted by author

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 03. 2011 22:00

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
bdowns3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks - I hadn't updated. Done.