Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Crash Problem - theres gotta be a solution
[Post New]
I have had problems with PD6 crashing before but it has not been particularly inconvenient however I have just completed a project which has taken what seems forever. I have saved it and all seemed to be OK. I try to open the project again and PD6 says there is a problem and has to close.
I have reinstalled PD6 (build 1731b) and still have the problem.
Does anybody have any idea what might be causing the problem and how it can be fixed.?
thanks in advance.

I'm here for a good time, not a long time.
Ferguson [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 06, 2006 20:54 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I haven't had any crashes since I turned off the "Show sound waveform in Timeline" option under the General preferences tab. I'm not sure if this is a general solution or not, but it seems to have worked for me for a while now.

One other thing that I noticed prior to turning off the waveform option is that I had to make sure that PowerDirector was done with whatever processing it was in the middle of, especially saving files, prior to performing another action. I used the Windows Task Manager to track this. Interestingly, once I stopped displaying the audio waveform, the processor became idle much faster.

Hope this helps.
Kintara [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Bristol, England, UK Joined: Aug 29, 2007 15:43 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]

I have had crashes but to be honest, and having looked at what works and what crashes, it seem to my own fault!

These are my general rules to successful operation of PD6 build 17xx (whatever it was)

Rule 1 for not crashing:- If it's in the time line or the media library then DO NOT rename or move or alter in any way the original file.

Rule 2 : Save the project every so often using sequential file names (Video 01.pds, Video 02.pds ...)

Rule 3 : Add subtitles, titles, transitions etc after composing the main timeline, and save after each one.

Rule 4 : If a .pds file will not load without errors go back to a previous one. I have only ever had problems with reloading due to me ignoring rule 1.

Rule 5 : Try to quit any backgrond programs. Turn off / unplug the internet access and shutdown your anti virus / firewall.

Rule 6 : Give PD6 time to "settle" after opening a project, ensure that all disk activity has finished.

Rule 7 : Turn off the "display sound waveform" option - cannot remember exactly what it's called, but it shows a video soundtrack as a straight line (volume level?) and not as a waveform)

Rule 8 : Keep at it.

Kintara Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
Niels [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 01, 2008 10:21 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I'm new to Power Director but ran into this problem almost immediately. I did as adviced above, and PD no longer crashes, so there is obviously a bug in Power Director when displaying the waveform - anyone have any idea when or if CyberLink is going to release a patch for this?

Niels [Avatar]
[Post New]
Strike that - it still crashes... Continously! If not immediately after load, then the first time I touch anything - whether it is the timeline, a clip or the play button - any interaction with the UI crashes PD.

This is very disappointing.
Niels [Avatar]
[Post New]
(edit: posted under new heading)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 02. 2008 11:38