Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Edits not being retained when re-opening project
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
This keeps coming up, so my method must not be correct.

--I want some photos to be laid over a video, each about 1/4 of the screen area. I know this is in the province of PIP - but do I have to use the PIP editor to make picture placements stick?

What I've been doing is highlighting a picture in the time line, then in the preview window, changing its size, and moving it to the corner where I want. It's a fast and convenient way to do this. I find the PIP editor slow and clumsy, so I'm avoiding it when I can.

Those placements stay in place as long as I'm working on the project, but when I re-open the project the next day, the pictures are back to filling the whole screen.

Have I answered my own question, and the only way to do this is with the PIP editor?

rbowser
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
rbowser,

That is not normal behavior.

I just did a quick test to be sure. I generally use the same method you describe for size and placement changes. The test I just did, PD retained the edits that I made to the images in the preview window.

Something may have happened to your .pds file. Check your autosaves and see if you can get one there that will work.

Hal
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: rbowser,

That is not normal behavior.

I just did a quick test to be sure. I generally use the same method you describe for size and placement changes. The test I just did, PD retained the edits that I made to the images in the preview window.

Something may have happened to your .pds file. Check your autosaves and see if you can get one there that will work.

Hal

Hi, Hal - Thanks for the reply.

OK so it's Not normal. That confirms what I discovered since putting up the post. One group of photos had lost their editing, each picture filling the screen, but a totally different group with the same effect Did maintain their editing. So, I could see that something wasn't right. I appreciate the confirmation.

At this point, I've been working away on the project, and I've done quite a few edits since posting earlier, and one thing I've done is re-create the effect I want with the PIP editor. So, I can't really go back to an auto-save from yesterday.

Well - hmm. I'll just keep an eye out for edits that don't stay.

rbowser
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
rbowser,

In preferences, what do you have your autosave time limit set at. I use 5 minutes others use less.

Check your preferences and be sure it is set to save at relatively short intervals. That way you will only lose a few minutes of work if a problem arises. This can be a blessing if you forget to save while editing.

I also change the default location of the autosave to a destination I prefer and can find with little to no effort.

Hal
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
rbowser [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: rbowser,

In preferences, what do you have your autosave time limit set at. I use 5 minutes others use less.

Check your preferences and be sure it is set to save at relatively short intervals. That way you will only lose a few minutes of work if a problem arises. This can be a blessing if you forget to save while editing.

I also change the default location of the autosave to a destination I prefer and can find with little to no effort.

Hal

Good, Hal - I'm still so early on with using PD9, I hadn't even thought about auto-save yet. It has to be the most invisible auto-save I've ever seen in a program. Usually I can see a progress bar suddenly pop up, or maybe even a pop-up saying "performing auto-save."

Now I've changed the default location for auto-saves, placing it on the same partition as my video projects. And I also changed the default 10 minutes to 5 minutes.

Thanks for the tips.

rbowser
HalCon
[Post New]
rbowser,

You're welcome. The autosave works flawlessly and invisible on my system. It has saved me more than once.

We try to keep you editing with as few problems as possible.

Hal

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 11. 2011 20:46

My YouTube