Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Green band with stabilizing tool
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
I'm putting together vacation footage, and much of it is hand-held camera while walking. So, I like Cinema-Verite, but when it gets So jostled, of course it would be nice to fix it up at least some.

I'm trying the stabilize tool again - And this time I'm getting a bright green vertical band popping in throughout the clips on the right side.

Still being in the editing stage, I haven't wanted to stop and render the project to see if the green band will be seen in the final DVD.

I'm hoping someone here could let me know if this is just an artifact from previewing the effect in real time?--or if that will remain in the final burn.

rbowser
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

I'm not sure it will - the only way for sure is to test it.

It only takes a minute or so.

Open a new project and import a clip that you know is shaky. Apply the 'stabilize' tool (adjust amount on the slider - less is usually better) and produce this as close to the original file footage and play back on your computer.

Good luck

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 11. 2011 04:51

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
If you think the PD stabilizer is that good, you've not used another. I find it to be lousy at best. Hopefully, V10 will have some type of improvement.
Side note...it ain't easy to get decent video from a small boat, that's for sure, not much room for a tripod, and walking while "taping" can be very challenging. If you have a monopod, it can be helpful to use it as a counterweight to buffer the swing from your strides.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 11. 2011 10:30

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks much for the input, guys.

Neil, you're right - simple enough to do a little test like that, see how it flies. I was thinking the clips in question might have to be in context with the whole project - that's probably not the case. I'll check it out today.

Barry, I really don't think the PD stabilizer is so good. Last time I asked a question about it here, I grabbed the free version of vReveal 3, since stabilization seems to be its main purpose. I can try that again if needs be.

Thanks again.

rbowser
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
rbrowser,

just tried some HD stabilizer set at mid-range, an also got occasional green bars. Based upon experience with deshake and virtualdub, i am guessing the side-to-side motion is more than the zoom, and what you are seeing is missing image (to stabilizer the image it shifts whole image in the frame. Deshake would let you specify black or extraplolated colors from near edge to fill in the missing data, or use data from previous frames to fill in (can give you ghosts of things now out of sight but vissible earlier in scene.

you could just but a black color panel behind main video to maks or crop more (will cost quality)

I have to agree with Barry ... PD9 has very poor stabilizer (many other great things but stabilizer is not one of them)

I use Virtualdub/Deshaker (public domain stuff) for standard definition stuff and eReveal (commercial --- just stabilizer software ... not a real editor) even with these tools, my early "small" camcorder-hand held stuff has to be processed two-three time stabilizer-produce-stabilizer-produce to get rock solid (tripod class) video. It does lose a little quality, but always produce to same format, highest bit rate (hence the large disks in my profile). Not a bad idea to do some trim work, to isolate different shake patterns, this will improve the stabilizer result.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 11. 2011 14:24

RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU