Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power DVD 8 no longer plays Blu-rays. Always asks to upgrade?!
redraptor120 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 23, 2011 22:59 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hey guys, I have an alienware M17X with a Blu-Ray drive. I have been using it for about a year now and the everything has been peachy. Unfortunately, it no longer likes to play Blu Rays and always askes me to update to a new version. So I patch it and nothing happens. Same notification, same lack of movie, same frustration EVERY SINGLE TIME. Now is there something Im missing or is it a glitch that I can get around? I have uninstalled and reinstalled it a few time and still nothing...

For reference, here are my specs:

Windows 7 64 Bit
Cyberlink PowerDVD 8.0 with 3228 update
Intel Core i7 CPU Quad core running at 1.73 GHZ
6 Gigs of ram
Dual ATI 5870's running in crossfire

CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

did you try to playback BD with X-fire disabled?

please provide some more info as asked in the welcome thread:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/8449.page

BR
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
redraptor120 [Avatar]
[Post New]
PowerDVD full Version 8.0.03f.50
SR: DVD100127-03

Im not sure how to check the VGA driver.

Out of all the questions, Thats all I could answer. I dont go through any outside hardware. I use the speakers built into the notebook, the screen and everything. I updated the V-bios(Did the same thing before I updated it) and everything is bone stock.

I did notice that newer Blu-rays don't work (Soul Surfer being the specific one) and the older ones do (I tested Life, Narnia, and Transformers). I talked to my father who said that the newer Blu-rays have a new type of DRM and dont work well with the software but said to check online about it. And so here I am.

Other than that, the regular blu-rays and Dvd's fine. The only other glitch is that Power DVD likes to force windows out of my "aero" setting and into "classic" while watching one of the older blu-rays. Its not a big deal but still something worth mentioning.

If there is anything else I can give you information on, let me know. Ill see if I can dig up the info. I apologize for my somewhat lack of computer intelligence.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 11. 2011 22:26

redraptor120 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I dont mean any harm by double posting but its been a week and a half since I last posted this and still waiting a reply. I just want to watch my damn Blu-Ray. I bought it over a month ago and still have not been able to watch it. Whats going on here Cyberlink? Im starting to get real annoyed.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I suggest to upgrade to PowerDVD 11

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
redraptor120 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hello,

Br
Michael

So I special order a Blu-ray drive less than a year ago, for a significantly higher price JUST to upgrade to a newer version where I need to pay MORE money?! I appreciate the fact that technology is always moving forward, but if im dropping 2500+ bucks down on a high end laptop, I expect it to last me more than a year without the need to spend MORE money.
JibbaJabba [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 03, 2011 03:32 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
HAHAHAHAHAHA! So Cyberlink's solution is to upgrade??? This is what I imagined Cyberlink's REAL response to a customer service problems was:

"We aren't going to update PowerDVD9. If you want to watch your movies you will have to buy PowerDVD11...and 12...and 13, etc. Give us your money and in return we will take more of it every year or two, but don't expect anything fancy like customer service."

I just typed that in another thread, then I saw Michael's genius response. I should get a tech support job with Cyberlink...how hard can it be to tell people to upgrade?
Kenneth Holm [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 23, 2011 11:32 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Can it at least be promised that the upgrade will work?

I'm a affraid I'm going to go mad if I actually upgrade and it still gives me the same lame error message.
stiehl [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 25, 2011 02:00 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hello,

Br
Michael

Do you know how unlawful that statement is? You cannot systematically make software obsolete while forcing people to upgrade to a newer version. You must either support the software you advertise to work, or issue refunds to your customers. For all those involved I suggest you take a trip to the better business bureau and file a complaint against cyberlink.

http://www.la.bbb.org/ComplaintDetail.aspx?CompanyID=16002673
redraptor120 [Avatar]
[Post New]
This is insane. Blu ray SHOULD be supported through out the ENTIRE lifespan of the format. Not just when they decide to mess with the encoding a slight bit. Words can not express how LIVID I am. I will be on the phone tomorrow with cyberlink to get a higher position. I will not stand for having to upgrade to a new player and shelling out 75 bucks simply to get my DVD's, which I paid GOOD money for, to work EVERY year. I can understand 5 or so years, but less than a year? That is ridiculous, and not fair to those who paid for both the player and the premium price of the disks. Thank you, Good night!