Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Is PowerDirector (v9) the Dumbest program in the world?
Max23 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 03, 2011 16:00 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I have a Video of my vacation that is 90% done. I got some other pictures I wanted to ADD in. I start putting them in place and it allows me to "Insert" the pictures just fine.

I then see that for some strange reason, the rest of my video has been pushed back, but the audio hasn't. Meaning my audio is not 1 min ahead of the video.
(Who in there right mind decided that when a picture gets inserted it only pushes back the video and not both?????)

Some how the audio and video became unlinked? How do I fix this? Oh you say well just drag the video back over. But you forget I never unlinked them. So when I drag the video over the audio follows.

The only solutions I can see is
1. Unlink every video from its Audio from this point to the end of my video and try to resync them up! That is the dumbest idea ever.
2. Pretty much I have to delete all the rest of my video and do it all over again?

WAS THIS EVEN TESTED? Your program is dumb and now I have a full video ready to go all out of Sync!
How do I fix this?
Thanks
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Did you have "Link all tracks when inserting/removing content in timeline" Checked?

It is in the Editing area of preferences.

If you have an earlier Project file before you did the inserts, you can try with Link all tracks checked.

BTW, Powerdirector saves a backup project file every 10 minutes by default.
The location is defined in the Project area of Preferences.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Max,

Relax, all is not lost. The problems you encountered are easily fixed. I promise. However, PD9 is a very complex program and there are various things which could be causing the problem.

1. The gap can probably be closed with a right click and a left click.

2. The audio can be extended if you unlink it, left click on the border and drag it to fill the gap.

ALL OF THAT ASIDE, you need to read the guidance which Dafyd Bevan and many others have prepared for you. If you will read the threads provided, your problem will disappear. You should also read the Introduction to creative movie making, which can be found in Dafyd's info above.

Finally, you can inquire in the Help files by clicking the ? in the upper right corner of PD9.

I hope this helps and reassures you a little. PD9 is very intuitive, but it is not a simple program. The gaps and loss of sync occurred for good reasons. You'll see.

Pax Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB DDR5
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
A software program is only as smart as it's user. That can be desired behavior, depending on what you are trying to do. Have you tried UNDO? __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Kevin R.
Contributor Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas Joined: Aug 17, 2010 15:58 Messages: 320 Offline
[Post New]
I can count to banana! One, two, three, banana! Saving the world, one goofy video and meme at a time.
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have a Video of my vacation that is 90% done. I got some other pictures I wanted to ADD in. I start putting them in place and it allows me to "Insert" the pictures just fine.

I then see that for some strange reason, the rest of my video has been pushed back, but the audio hasn't. Meaning my audio is not 1 min ahead of the video.
(Who in there right mind decided that when a picture gets inserted it only pushes back the video and not both?????)

Please take a look at this thread: "Closing a gap in a track." You aren't the only one who wrestled with this issue. It might be too late for an easy repair, but at least you'll get some ideas as to how to avoid the problem next time.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 04. 2011 15:00

Generaallucas
Newbie Location: Apeldoorn, Netherlands. Joined: Apr 24, 2011 14:28 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
I think PD9 can compete itself to Sony Vegas and Adobe After Effects in some ways. The only thing I really miss in PD9 is the option to cut a specific object out of an video.

I tend to build music video's with PD9, and it works really well. Especially the way PD9 renders video's. (I always do .WMV 1920*1080)
Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
I'm sorry, but I don't see any problems here with 32-bit version 2930 on Windows XP. Even when I unlink the audio from the video and then insert a still, the audio slides over in sync with the video. That's when the audio is on the adjacent track. If I move the audio down to a different track after unlinking it, then it stays in place unless I have the option in preferences turned on to link all tracks. Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
Max23 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 03, 2011 16:00 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Did you have "Link all tracks when inserting/removing content in timeline" Checked?

It is in the Editing area of preferences.

If you have an earlier Project file before you did the inserts, you can try with Link all tracks checked.

BTW, Powerdirector saves a backup project file every 10 minutes by default.
The location is defined in the Project area of Preferences.

That was not checked. You would think that would be checked by default.
The only thing I could think of that I did was I had a Video to Picture with a Transition. When I inserted another picture I was trying to place it before the other picture. But because of the transition, or maybe I didn't snap it close enough to the video, it cut the picture, thus pushing it out, when there isn't any audio.

1. The gap can probably be closed with a right click and a left click.

Is this some magical mouse click? I right clicked and left clicked?

2. The audio can be extended if you unlink it, left click on the border and drag it to fill the gap.

The audio is actually a head of the video. (The video was pushed back). Its the video I need to move forward to get things back in sink. Just to see if it would work I unlinked the first clip and dragged the video back up. But the next file was still out of sync.

I have been going back through my video, add the click again, then delete the old out of sync clip and so on. This has been going okay, but now for some reason PowerDirector is crashing on me about ever other insert. I thought maybe I should reboot my windows 7 and that did help a little bit, but now I'm back to it crashing.
I realize I'm working with a lot of HD video (maybe 40 mins?) But with a Windows 7 64 Bit with 4gb or RAM on a Quad Core processor, I'm a little surprised its having so much trouble? (Task Manager shows only 1.75gb or ram being used).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 05. 2011 00:14

1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]

Max,

I have been going back through my video, add the click again, then delete the old out of sync clip and so on. This has been going okay, but now for some reason PowerDirector is crashing on me about ever other insert. I thought maybe I should reboot my windows 7 and that did help a little bit, but now I'm back to it crashing.
I realize I'm working with a lot of HD video (maybe 40 mins?) But with a Windows 7 64 Bit with 4gb or RAM on a Quad Core processor, I'm a little surprised its having so much trouble? (Task Manager shows only 1.75gb or ram being used).

I didn't think about going in to this thread, but something in your last post
made me butt in nevertheless.
I am not very, very in to the tech-stuff, because it's simply not so very
interesting to me. However, I do want things to work. Therefore, as time has
passed over the years I pick up and learn from incidents happening and what
possibly to do when problems occur.
(It's a bit like my car. So many have the same brand and model as me and having no
problems at all. Suddenly - my car gets different hickups.)

I have just ordered more RAM.
( from UK, since it's more expensive in Norway)
Why?
Because my editing skills are somewhat improving, meaning I'm using more
tracks, doing /applying more and more stuff. Besides, one of my cameras records
in 1080p. My computer handles that, up to a point.
So what do I do beyond that point?
Sometimes I convert the clips to 1280x720p (which anyway is what I use the most),
before bringing them in to edit, and sometimes I prerender bits and pieces...say
2-5 min at the time, depending on what goes on.
Can't tell you (exactly)why 3, 6, 8 or 12 gb RAM works here and there on different
systems, other than I think it all depends on the different factors; C:-space, clip-source,
track-use, effects, duration......
So, I guess what I'm saying is;
learn to know whatever computer you're on, what makes it happy- according to
what you are wanting to do/create. Try some "workarounds" before spending a
lot of money on the computer. Update whatever is possible to update in it.
Before using up ones money, reflect on "what do I want to/can I produce?"
"How often and how many videos is it likely I will produce?"
"Is editing my main hobby?" "Is editing something I do/will do as a profession?"

Ok, stopping here.

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
Pax 123 [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Miami, Florida Joined: Feb 25, 2010 06:35 Messages: 282 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Max,

Thanks for your measured response. Details about my references to clicking, dragging, etc. are in the thread Jerry told you about. Here is a link to it: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/18508.page

If you want to find it, or some other thread, use the search option at the top of the page. Limit search to PD9 and search for gap. You will see many threads on that issue. I think Jerry's thread will answer all of your questions about this issue. If not, let us know.

Welcome aboard.

Pax Laptop PC, ASUS
Core i7 Q 720
Win 7, 64-bit
RAM 8GB DDR2
Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M 1GB DDR5