Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD9 - DVD-SP and PhotoBucket Distortion Issue
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Hello everyone. Just wanted to pass on information about a problem I encountered with the display distortion on a DVD-SP .mpeg2 video clip (93 MB) that I uploaded to PhotoBucket. The video was "narrowed" horizontally. Contacted PB Support who told me to try to reduce the file size. That didn't make sense to me since I had successfully uploaded DVD-HQ .mpeg2 clips and they displayed properly.

I am working on a family video with sibling photos and family trees and such, so it is useful for them to vet the clips before I actually starting burning DVDs.

The solution was re-PRODUCE the clip at DVD-HQ quality (182 MB) and it displayed properly on the PB site. So I wind up with two .mepg2 files: the DVD-SP for the project (DVD) and a DVD-HQ for uploading to PB to ensure it displays without distortion.

Don't know if anyone else has run into this, but I thought I would pass the info on for whatever use it is to anyone. I don't have a clue what causes the issue on the PB side, but that is not a topic for this forum.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
When "we" used to first place video onto a disc (CD's) the frame size was half of the present DVD's 352x240 (NTSC) and 352 x 288 (PAL). We were pleased to have VCD's. These were more popular on the Asia market than elsewhere. (Many editors were still returning footage to tape and using internal conversion cards costing 5 to 10 thousand dollars.) Later "we" geek editors took up SVCD as we were able to squeeze more video onto a disc and not have to split discs. The way this was done was to squash the video so the TV would later stretch back the video when played and no distortion could be seen.
Info link: http://www.mir.com/DMG/aspect.html#vcdrequirements

I'd be curious to know if that's what's happening for you but with the horizontal squashing, that's a new one for me.

garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd: Thanks for all of the information. As you know I am relatively new to video editing.

I should have pointed out that the DVD-SP that PhotoBucket displayed distorted played ABSOLUTELY FINE in PD9, in Windows Media Player, and when I inserted the .mpeg2 file on a USB flash drive and played it on my Blu-ray player/TV.

This is DEFINITELY a PhotoBucket issue - no problems at all with PD9 or other players displaying the DVD-SP content.

I just thought I would pass this on for any users of PB that might encounter this issue. PB Help has been less helpful than CL Help and I am still awaiting a follow-up to my response from them to their first suggestion to create a smaller file!

Thanks again, Dafydd. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Phil -

Sorry, but I usually try to let the TRUTH interfere with a good argument.

MPEG-2 DVD SP... never used it before, but check out the details of the profile. How could it NOT be distorted? The DVD HQ version becomes distorted too (in Photobucket) - http://s999.photobucket.com/albums/af115/ynotfish/?action=view¤t=Test_DVDHQ.mp4

Strangely, I just produced a little clip to that format and it displays correctly on my PC (just as you reported).

BUT, when I download it from PhotoBucket, it looks like this...

Uploaded as a WMV (640x360) it looks like this... http://s999.photobucket.com/albums/af115/ynotfish/?action=view¤t=Test_WMV.mp4

Cheers - Tony

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Jez I was getting my horizontal and verticals muddles. I was thinking of a squashed down video. Must have been a special "thick" day for me thanks for the input Tony, ha ha, (on me)
garioch7
[Post New]
Tony: As always I am in your debt. I am very glad that you did your testing because one of my sons does want to download the video clip. I didn't try that - I was just happy that the DVD-HQ displayed properly when played from PhotoBucket. So, I will have to re-do that clip, yet again, if he wants to download it.

Better yet, I am going to see him in a few weeks, so I will just copy the clip to my USB flash drive and he can get a copy from that. In the future, I will upload to PB in .wmv format as you suggest. Great advice.

Always something to learn. Have yourself a great weekend, Tony, and many, many thanks ... again!

Regards,
-Phil

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 02. 2011 14:31

Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra